The Fighter

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Fighter

The story of Micky "Irish" Ward and his boxing career with his crack addicted brother at his side. Apparently Marky Mark was so hell bent on getting this film made that he stayed in "shape" for years and years just incase the film went into production. That's dedication and passion for you, yet the man still manages to be the weak link.

It's not really his fault, David O. Russell packed the film with a lot of talent. Christian Bale plays Dicky Ecklund, Micky's crack addicted brother who tells the same story over and over again, about him knocking out Sugar Ray Leonard. It's his claim to fame. There is a film crew following him around, he thinks it's going to be about his comeback, yet it's really about the harsh realities of crack addiction. Bale, again, submerses himself in the role. He is pure method. You can not like him as a person, or even an actor, but you can't deny his passion for the art. He is on the thin side again, with thin balding hair and brown teeth. He looks deathly ill in every scene. The man has one of his finest roles to date and will no doubt be nominated come award season. I hope he actually takes home the award. He is without a doubt, the most interesting character in the film.

Their mother is played by Melissa Leo, another performance worthy of recognition come award season. Her desire to see her kids rise to fame blind her from the truth. She denies the drugs and the failures and believes she knows what's best for her kids. This means not letting them get a real chance because it would be with a real manager and she would be left behind. Family is important to her and she wants to keep everyone very close, even if it harms their chance at making a name for themselves. She of course, doesn't realize this. Amy Adams is the love interest, you know there had to be one. She manages to pull Micky away from the family that is dragging him down. They don't like her for it. She has her own inspirations too, yet the story isn't interested in them. The main focus of the film is with Micky's bumpy road to the championship fight. Since this is based on a true story, I can't really fault it for becoming a bit formulaic and predictable, yet it is.

David O. Russell is notorious for getting angry and violent with his crew/cast. He was in a physical fight with George Clooney on the set of Three Kings and anyone can go on youtube and check out the melt down he and Lily Tomlin had on the set of I Heart Huckabees. Both films coincidentally star Mark Walhberg, so it seems he doesn't have a problem working with the combative director. I can't deny that the man has talent. I really love Three Kings and found I Heart Huckabees to be an ambitious project for the sheer weirdness of it all. With The Fighter, he plays to a more conventional audience. In terms of boxing films, it works. It plays on the down and out character, the poverty of his life and the sheer determination he has to make a name for himself. It's no Rocky, or as others have mentioned Raging Bull, but it is good enough to be mentioned with them.

Russell always has an eye for a creative shot. Check out Three Kings colour scheme for what I mean. Here he uses tv cameras for the boxing matches. Interesting move, it feels like we are watching it at home and are not really in the ring with them. I admire directors who think outside of the box. Russell does this, no problem. He also decides to include real footage of the characters. The film has some home video segments throughout and during the credits we get to meet the real Micky Ward and Dicky Eckland, which is even more reason to appreciate Bale's performance.

The film trips a bit because of the lack of emotion from Walhberg. I dig the guy and enjoy his films, but his range isn't there yet. When given a role that he can play the absurdity of, he scores. Watch The Departed for that. For a film where the audience needs to get behind a character, to root and cheer for them to overcome their obstacles, he falls a little short. Thank goodness the film makes up for this with the performances from Bale and Leo.

The Fighter features great music, engaging performances and a predictable, yet true story. I felt attached to the characters and hoping they would make smart decisions. If a film can get me to care about the characters, I say bravo.

The Fighter is a winner in my books.

Suspect's Reviews

15,000 feet above you and falling fast...
Your reviews have been 9/10 in my book from all of them I've read so far. I will definately watch this one.

Nice review, Sus. Yeah, I see myself seeing this. O'Russell is a good director, and I still like Bale. Btw, is it true that O'Russell physically attacked Christopher Nolan?? Can't seem to find anything concrete on the matter so i'm guessing it's just bull??

The ending of the movie had me sit up straight in my seat with an overwhelming sense of joy and a big smile on my face, something I haven't experienced in a sports drama since I watched the original Rocky.

It was the best movie experience I've had all year.

The Fighter is definitely a winner in my book.

Christian Bale deserves every award he will be nominated for this year.

5 out of 5

I have to say Bravo. The story was good but the acting was even better. Christian Bale is great as usual and Mark Walberg gives one of his better performances. I recomend you see this movie even if you're not a fan of boxing movies.

If you're a boxing fan, you'll HATE the fight scenes. No footwork, no hand speed, no movement. Mark Walhberg supposed to be a jr. welterweight, yet looks more like a heavyweight. Bah. Apart from that, great movie.

The Drunk and Happy
No doubt it was a good movie. On my scale of beers... I wouldn't drink more than one.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
If you're a boxing fan, you'll HATE the fight scenes. No footwork, no hand speed, no movement. Mark Walhberg supposed to be a jr. welterweight, yet looks more like a heavyweight. Bah. Apart from that, great movie.
id understand if you were upset that Wahlberg is a natural southpaw, while Ward was a normal fighter, but you cant get upset about the lack of footwork.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Excellent Review btw TUS.

I had a strange kinda feeling come over me in watching this film. Had i not known the title of the film or what it was about, I may have been forgiven for thinking this was another adaptation of a Dennis Lehane novel.

The characters in general and the Ward family in particular seemed to be lifted right out of gone baby gone (2007).

Anyone else get that vibe?

I really wanna see this. I'm waiting for the Blu-ray which comes out in about two weeks.

Yeah Very good movie

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The Fighter

The film trips a bit because of the lack of emotion from Walhberg. I dig the guy and enjoy his films, but his range isn't there yet. When given a role that he can play the absurdity of, he scores. Watch The Departed for that. For a film where the audience needs to get behind a character, to root and cheer for them to overcome their obstacles, he falls a little short.
Walhberg is not a huge draw for me, but I enjoy watching him on film. The Departed and We Own the Night are both films to showcase good performances from him, but his range is limited. And he will never be a great natural actor or shape-shifting with each role actor. His best performance is and most likely always will be Boogie Nights.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

It looks like it would be really good. Expected more out of it. On a scale of ! to 10. 10 being perfect...5

I agree this was a great film. Best Walhberg film i have seen in a while maybe the best!