Things that annoy you...

Tools    

Hipsters. Ugh... The irritation that fills me when I see them is out of control.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Hipsters. Ugh... The irritation that fills me when I see them is out of control.
Everyone hates on hipsters these days so I stopped hating on them.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I just googled "Chav" Yikes! (I'm a Yank) Being a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, I'm guessing that his Ali G character was parodying a Chav?

I'd rather have the world full of hipsters than have a world full of charvas...

*shudders*

I haven't seen a lot of Ali G, but from what I have, he is nice and not nasty. So a nice charva(and yes it's Charva, the media turned it into a trend a few years back and people who were new to it called it Chav... I've known about them since the early 90s) is rather an oxymoron. I don't think his character is suppose to be a charva though, not sure.

This is a charva(the boy in the grey tracksuit):

Basically, look up Jeremy Kyle and Chav on things like youtube and you will get a whole lot of videos to see. The show is like a magnet for charvas and inbreds.

I haven't seen a lot of Ali G, but from what I have, he is nice and not nasty. So a nice charva(and yes it's Charva, the media turned it into a trend a few years back and people who were new to it called it Chav... I've known about them since the early 90s) is rather an oxymoron. I don't think his character is suppose to be a charva though, not sure.
No, it's a regional thing. Go further north, especially Scotland and you'll find them called Neds. I've also heard them called "Townies" and other variations. It's always been Chav here and, like you, I noticed it sometime around the late 80's/early 90's.

It comes from the gypsy word for "child" and was/is a greeting; "Alright, chav?" in the same way that you'd use "mate" or "geezer", etc. It was also used for "bloke" or "man", "That car belongs to some chav down the road."

As the underclass of the country started to dress more and more like the gypsies, so Chav became an all encompassing word for those who looked that way.

Ali G was more a pisstake of those suburbanites/provincials kids who act/dress/talk like the black urban Americans portrayed in the hip hop videos/films. Commonly known as "wiggers".

No, it's a regional thing. Go further north, especially Scotland and you'll find them called Neds. I've also heard them called "Townies" and other variations. It's always been Chav here and, like you, I noticed it sometime around the late 80's/early 90's.

It comes from the gypsy word for "child" and was/is a greeting; "Alright, chav?" in the same way that you'd use "mate" or "geezer", etc. It was also used for "bloke" or "man", "That car belongs to some chav down the road."

As the underclass of the country started to dress more and more like the gypsies, so Chav became an all encompassing word for those who looked that way.

Ali G was more a pisstake of those suburbanites/provincials kids who act/dress/talk like the black urban Americans portrayed in the hip hop videos/films. Commonly known as "wiggers".
Sacha Baron Cohen was especially targeting British born, indian/pakastani muslim chavs who try and be "black"
White BrItish Chavs dont dress up like ALI G
They just try and talk like theys are black, init.
BUT ALI'S Do dress up like THAT

That may be but it's now a trend all over in the last few years to call them Chav thanks to the media. The original word you talk of is Chavi/o, used mostly.

Also, a Townie is somewhat different to a Charva. And yep know about neds, I use to live not far from the Scottish border in the North East of England were Charva comes from.

Members who post in every section of the message board to try and get their member name and avatar all in one line on the main message board section. Therefore a lot of topics they post in have a meaningless quick post in order to get to that across the board thing.

One is obviously trying to do it since last night...