Overrated Actors

Tools    

No kidding. Gone Baby Gone is in itself a fantastic movie. But his performance? It goes from street aggression to remorseful melancholy. On top of that, if anyone here has seen The Killer Inside Me, they'll know he can be pretty ****ing scary, too. He's incredibly diverse.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
George Clooney. He's a good actor, for sure but I haven't seen enough versatility from him to merit his popularity.

No kidding. Gone Baby Gone is in itself a fantastic movie. But his performance? It goes from street aggression to remorseful melancholy. On top of that, if anyone here has seen The Killer Inside Me, they'll know he can be pretty ****ing scary, too. He's incredibly diverse.

that was it- Gone Baby Gone
couldnt hear damn thing he said
v annoying whispering and muttering like clint eastwood cos he was tryin to be too serious & too local
and your right about his character in that changing too much to be plausable.
He is a good actor though.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Jolie is one of my least favorite people in the world and I do think she is overrated. But she can act well. She does what a good actress should do: draws from within his insane ass and brings a great performance. I haven't seen girl interrupted but in the films that I have seen her in her performance was top notch. She has been doing mostly popcorn films lately though. I think once upon a time she was as good as anyone. Now she talks these crowd pleasing roles (which is why she is on my overrated list).

am confused. What do you think Overrated means exactly?

So using this formula, Deniro, Johnny Depp, Pacino, plus a zillion more.. they are all overated for choosing crowd pleasing popcorn roles?

am confused. What do you think Overrated means exactly?

So using this formula, Deniro, Johnny Depp, Pacino, plus a zillion more.. they are all overated for choosing crowd pleasing popcorn roles?
Let me go a little more in depth

Doing crowd pleasing movies does not make her overrated. Though De Niro, Depp, and Pacino haven't made anything good in a while. Though De Niro and Pacino's careers are so good they can do whatever they want to do.

Doing them poorly and still getting acclaim does.

Though I loved Salt and thought she did a great ob.

couldnt hear damn thing he said
I heard that a lot when it came out but I didn't have a problem following what he was saying at all. Heath Ledger got the same comments for his role in Brokeback Mountain but I still didn't have a problem following it.

People, turn the volume up or get your hearing tested.

and your right about his character in that changing too much to be plausable.
So people are just one thing? I'll keep that in mind.

Let me go a little more in depth

Doing crowd pleasing movies does not make her overrated.
Jolie is one of my least favorite people in the world and I do think she is overrated. But she can act well. She does what a good actress should do: draws from within his insane ass and brings a great performance. I haven't seen girl interrupted but in the films that I have seen her in her performance was top notch. She has been doing mostly popcorn films lately though. I think once upon a time she was as good as anyone. Now she talks these crowd pleasing roles (which is why she is on my overrated list).
Not only do i think you are confused as to what ovcerrated means, but also what in depth means.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
George Clooney. He's a good actor, for sure but I haven't seen enough versatility from him to merit his popularity.
I like Clooney in what I've seen though it hasn't been much.

What route is that? the route towards tryin to pick up what you're attempting to lay down?

Since when did one have to do with the other?

I'm not sure if I'd say Depp is overrated, I used to think this but I now just seem him as doing a good job at what he needs to. He constantly takes on the roles of eccentric/weird characters and has appeared in popular kids/family films such as POTC/Charlie & Choc.../Alice in Wonderland etc. hence why he's got a good reputation amongst the majority of people. If you look at films like Donnie Brasco he's very good in terms of acting, I think people have just become too familiar with his eccentric roles to realise he can be a decent actor.

I think you're getting overrated and popular/famous mixed up. It's impossible to overrate Keanu Reeves.
Ive just been going through this thread, and this was about to be my comment. A lot of people are confusing popularity with overrated.

Also noticing, these ones that are claimed to be "overrated" also happen to be the ones you dont like as actors.

Overrated would be more like actors who have been hyped up but havent really deserved it. this doesnt mean you think they are good/bad actors, just means they get a lot more publicity than is probably warrented.

My overrated actors would be;

Kirsten Stewart
Robert Pattinson
Jack Black
Russell Brand
Keira Knightley
Johnny Depp (the past 6years or so)

Thats not to say some of them havent made good films...I just dont think they deserve the amount of praise they get for what they HAVE done.

I don't think Johnny Depp is overrated. He is an extraordinary character actor. It was Pirates of the Caribbean that made him the house hold name that he is.

I don't think Jack Black is overrated either. I don't think he is funny. But the dude is a great actor. His performance in Bernie was amazing. His performance in High Fidelity was underrated. And who didn't like school of rock.

If anything Kristen Stewart is underrated. She is actually a good actress. She is known for the popcorn crap of twilight instead of the indie films she has done like Welcome to the Reillys, Adventureland, and The Runaways. I am surprised no seems to remember her holding her own with Jodie Foster in Panic Room at only age 12.

Im not saying theyre bad actors. Im saying they get praise and popularity when its undue. I appriciate that you disagree with my choices, but theyre my personal opinions.

Every actor/actress ive mentioned I could give you good films theyve done im not arguing this point.

Personally Johnny Depp, is overrated, hes hyped up to be one of these amazing actors when in all honesty, of late hes not. And if you think its POTC that put him on the map you are truely wrong.

Do you know any of Johnny Depps films before 2003?

The movies that put him on the map include;
Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
Platoon (1986)
Don Juan DeMarco (1994)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)
The Ninth Gate (1999)
Sleepy Hollow
Chocolat
Blow
From Hell

All of these are from before he become overrated, then he started to get all hyped up in the media and fans jumped on the bandwagon.

I said Pirates of the Caribbean made him a Household name. Yes he had done a lot of good movies before that. Yeah he was pretty well know too. But Pirates of the Caribbean made him an international star. It was his first film that made a crap load of cash too. And he got nominated for an academy award for that. No denying that Pirates of the Caribbean is responsible for the level of populaority he has. Most average people haven't seen or heard of Donnie Brasco, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Choclat, or Ed Wood. Everyone has heard of Pirates of the Caribbean.