The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
The Secret World goes live today! I am still on the beta build, and will probably pick up the gold edition this weekend!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I started Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PS3 today and... Hmm, my feelings on it are still a bit mixed towards it. I think the way the story and concept are handled flat-out brilliantly, but some of the gameplay is so-so.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, especially since it's Ocarina of Time. First time playing it in at least a decade and it's still very fun. Might actually mean I get my hands on some of the newer Zelda games - should definitely get some RPGs that aren't made by Bethesda or Bioware.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Yeah, especially since it's Ocarina of Time. First time playing it in at least a decade and it's still very fun. Might actually mean I get my hands on some of the newer Zelda games - should definitely get some RPGs that aren't made by Bethesda or Bioware.

For Zelda games, I recommend Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for the Gamecube (if you have one still), and Skyward Sword for the Wii.

For RPGs, I recommend the Final Fantasy series, although it's a different style of RPG than Bethesda and BioWare like to make. It's JRPG (J stands for Japanese, in case you don't know), so combat is closer to turn-based than anything, but the strategy element is still there.

Welcome to the human race...
The only Final Fantasy games I've ever played were VII and X (I made more progress in the latter, or at least it seemed like I did.) Decent enough games, but I never cared enough to finish either one.

Finding Gamecube games these days will be interesting, though.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
The only Final Fantasy games I've ever played were VII and X (I made more progress in the latter, or at least it seemed like I did.) Decent enough games, but I never cared enough to finish either one.

Finding Gamecube games these days will be interesting, though.

You should play some of the older ones from the NES and SNES days (recommend 4, 5, and 6, and even 9 on the PlayStation 1), assuming you have the consoles to do so. If not, some of the games are on the PSN for a decent price, if you're interested (again, assuming you have a PS3).

And as for Gamecube games, that's what Ebay and Amazon are for, right? It's how I found some of the Gamecube games I currently own and will never let go of.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Got some 'wacky races' in on BF3 last night

Suddenly realised that since the private servers turned up on Xbox we could track down some empty maps and mess about. The jeeps on Gulf of Oman are definitely the most fun to drive. Caspian Border was a lot more fun for making twisty courses tho, even if the the jeeps are a bit more pedestrian. (Also managed to park a heli on the radio tower during a transport interlude )

Maps always seemed to reboot when we first turned up, but after that they were ours to play with. By being on the same team, and not taking any flags, the tickets never ran down, and we could see each other on the map. Plus no friendly fire . We tried some APC action on Oman where shooting obstacles into the way was allowed - might actually try a version where we can shoot each other off balance at crucial moments

Mass Effect III

The end is near... I have just started the last chapter in Commander Shepard's story, and after about 4 hours of play, I am totally hooked. The music is amazing, for one thing. Dark, vast music that fits the theme perfectly. The landscapes are, so far, extremely well done. Great use of color and space to create a sense of scope the other two games toyed with, but never fully reached.

As far as the story (so far) is concerned, I have already been in tears twice, and I have just had one play session.

In the Beginning...
Hope you enjoy it, man. I think ME3 is just slightly inferior to ME2, but it's still a top notch game. My only complaints are that all the varied decisions you've made over the course of two games really only make for a few generic scenarios in the final chapter. I know Bioware needed to tie up all the loose ends they created for themselves, but it feels too neatly wrapped for me.

And I'm sure you know already that the end is wonky. It's just wonky. I can't describe it. I know they made an attempt to fix it with DLC, but I haven't heard good things. I hope you can make some sense out of it, but I still think it's a cheat. Bioware could have done better.

Yeah, I heard some mumblings about it. Hopefully it doesn't throw me for too much of a loop, as this is a game character I feel a certain affinity for. I guess I am OK if she dies. After all, she is one nasty person in some ways, and probably deserves it. I get the feeling she won't though, and i will just run into a few contrivances meant to wrap up the plot a bit too neatly. However, the set pieces so far have been ridiculously cool, so it will be a fun ride, at least!