My Top 10 Overrated Films

Tools    

Raging Bull is great, but yes it's far from Scorsese's best.

#2. Forrest Gump – I’ll have legions of people down my throat for this one, but hear me out, even if you disagree. First, let me say that Tom Hanks was terrific in his role, hands down. It’s every other character that annoys me. Jenny’s too one-dimensional, even though she suffers through a lot, Bubba’s charming, but not on-screen long enough, and Gary Sinise as Lieutenant Dan…okay, honestly, he was pretty damn cool, so I won’t rag on him. The situations Forrest goes through, however, are just too overdone and too over-the-top. Does the audience really expect to believe that one single man can go through every one of those events and not wind up in an asylum afterwards, even a man as charmingly simple as Forrest? Suspension of disbelief aside, I do admit that this film is my favorite guilty pleasure to watch, even if I disagree with the story and how it’s handled.
I'd say that Gump's lack of sophistication, irony, and awareness sufficiently justify his oblivious responses. Indeed, he constitutes the consummate Tabula rasa, more a metaphor than a realistic human being.

I can only think of two movies everyone likes but I don't

Spirited Away
Okay, shoot me, but I really didn't like this one. I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki, but this is in my opinion his weakest movie. It's just so unpleasant and confusing, with vomit, slime, sweat and blood spraying everywhere. It's an extravaganza of the grotesque and the bizarre, but not in a good way. The story isn't very strong and It's one of the most disturbing "childrens" movies i've seen.
Moulin Rouge!
I HATE this movie. It rapes your eyes and ears with constant overacting, crazed editing and terrible new versions of classic songs. I can't believe this crap got eight Oscar Nominations.

10 Raging Bull (I did like it though just think its not a great as people put it)
9. Taxi Driver
8. A Clockwork orange
7. The Excorsist
6. Citizen Kane (might get some hate for that)
5. Halloween
4. No country for old men
3. Child's Play
2. Shawshank Redemption
1. Slumdog Millionare

spirited away
okay, shoot me, but i really didn't like this one. I'm a huge fan of miyazaki, but this is in my opinion his weakest movie. It's just so unpleasant and confusing, with vomit, slime, sweat and blood spraying everywhere. It's an extravaganza of the grotesque and the bizarre, but not in a good way. The story isn't very strong and it's one of the most disturbing "childrens" movies i've seen.
What?!?!!

Agree with A Clockwork Orange and Slumdog Millionaire.

The rest are classics though.

Can't believe you said Shawshank was overrated though.
I thought it was a chick flick with guys

"Child's Play" was highly rated? I must be missing something there...

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Shawshank and Clockwork Orange overrated?? Ouch, hurt one of my faves why don't ya lol. I know it's an opinion though, so I'm not gonna get mad. I can agree with Slumdog Millionaire and Raging Bull. I love No Country for Old Men

Movie Forums Extra
All on your list are fine except, Raising Arizona. That movie is a comedy classic

Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain, American History X, The English Patient, Avatar, The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Juno, Natural Born Killers, Braveheart, American Beauty, Romper Stomper, Lost In Translation, Solaris, Forrest Gump, Slumdog Millionaire, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill.

The films highlighted in bold are not just overrated, but actually genuinely bad films that seem like a waste of good money.

Dark Knight(painfully overrated),Shawshank Redemption,Pulp Fiction,every Star Wars,every LOTR,Seven Samurai,Inception,Memento,City of God,Casablanca,Matrix,Annie Hall,Prestige,Inglorious Bastards,Donnie Darko,Into the Wild,Toy Story 3,The Exorcist

-Memento
-The Red Shoes
-No Country For Old Men
-The Conversation
-Fight Club
-Sunset Boulevard
-Night of the Living Dead
-The Tree of Life
-The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
-The Bride of Frankenstein (haven't seen it in years)

I refrain from including any films which are
and above. All listed are less than that in my book.

I feel like The Red Shoes is all style but no substance. It's a visual feast, yes, but not much else. And as for Sunset Boulevard (I almost wasn't going to include that one, it's a
), Gloria Swanson is great in it but I feel the whole "indictment of Hollywood" thing wasn't as deep and profound as everyone said it was. Personally, I think David Lynch did that much better in Mulholland Drive (and that film also had a lot more to it, thematically).