How are your DVDs organized?

Tools    

I have my dvds all lined up on a shelf that goes around my whole room. I've always just organized mine in order of favourites, with three sections (one for horror films, one for every other genre, and one for concerts/ tv series.

I also have a ton of vhs tapes, which I rarely watch, stashed in a cubby behind my desk.

I only started collection this easter so I haven't got that many dvds.. Yet! I have two small ikea shelves where I sort them alphabetical, but I will probably start sorting them by genre when I get some more but right now it works great with the alphabetical thing..

I have mine sorted Alphabetically, thanks to an amazon database dump, a web app I built, and a barcode scanner, I can scan the DVD, it will pull the data and copy it into my database so that I can track them. One bad thing is that it stores the price of the DVD also, I say this is bad because once you start getting in the 100+ range (I'm at 721), you REALLY shouldn't see how much you spent. It will depress you, and you'll have that..."WTF!?!?! I can buy a car, and a house in some parts of the country for what I've spent on DVDs!!!!" moment.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I got this weird thing going on at the moment, where I'll look at my collection and see a particular movie that I either have never watched and haven't for years, and I'll add it to a small section of my shelf. So far, there's around 100 films in there, including the likes of No Country For Old Men, Chinatown, Red River, The Shining, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid & Vertigo, weighed up against the likes of Death Warrant, Renegade Justice, 48 Hours, The Wild Geese & Conan The Barbarian. It initially started as some of sort of "qualifying" round for my next top 100, but has evolved into a simple exercise to watch more movies.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I have about 200 DVDs and there isnt really any sort of organisation system for them. I just have a browse through and usually find one I havent watched in a while

Oh wow, another thread I missed till now. Thanks to chrisv24 for bumping it.

I'm pretty anal about my DVDs, I keep mine alphabetically and numerically ordered on 3 seperate shelves.

Shelf #1 is singular films (or in which I only own one of the franchise).
For instance:
Independence Day, Ransom, Paul are just a couple of random singular films that are on shelf #1.
I only own the first Karate Kid movie and the first Robocop movie, I haven't got the sequels or the remakes, so they also go on here with the singular movies.

If I ever bought the/a sequel/sequels to any of the movies I own, they'd be moved to shelf #2.

Shelf two is for box sets and franchises that I own.
For instance:
Box set of Matrix movies.
Box set of Ghostbusters.
I own the Alien franchise, but they're in singular boxes and not in a box set, but they still go on shelf #2, as they go together in a foursome.
The other example is that I own Predator and Predators, but not Predator 2, but they still go on shelf 2 with the franchises as I own more than just one of that franchise.

Then there's the third shelf with films that have a number at the beginning of the title. I keep these in numerical order, lowest to highest.
For instance:
30 Days Of Night.
etc etc etc.

It's funny when my kids have been messing around and they put them back hoping I won't notice, I always know.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Reading some of the last few posts makes me feel ashamed of my own DVD chaos.

Some are next to the wall, some in my bedroom closet, some downstairs.

CHAOS!

Maybe I should have been a librarian. My movies are in special shelves in two rooms. My organization is sort of unique as I've expanded categories into sub-categories and all the movies are arranged in alphabetical order.
As I have a lot of foreign movies, those I've classified into sections based on country of origin. For example movies from Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, India, UK, France, Italy, Germany And Russia. All other foreign movies are in the general foreign movie
category and the exceptional foreign movie category. American movies are classified in the following categories: exceptional, drama, action, war, horror, comedy, dark and twisted, classic, westerns, epic, gangster & gang-related, documentaries, martial arts, TV series and seperate action hero collections: Clint Eastwood, Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van Damme, James Bond, sports related, sci-fi, favorite director collections: Hictchkock, Scorcese, Tarantino, David Lean and then I have a seperate category of Asian movies that are not in English and that I can only watch with an all region Dvd player. Although I have over 5,000 movies, the way they are organized makes it easy for me to find any single movie I'm looking for in less than 30 seconds. So talk about anal and obssessive compulsive with masochistic librarian tendencies, I'm your huckleberry.

Princess of Power
At the moment my collection has just been dumped onto a booked case so its accessible but its really starting to annoy me that I cant find anything.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have stopped trying to get my dvds in any sort of order. They used to be in alphabetical order, then Genre order. Now they are in whatever I have just watched goes on top

I have somewhere in the 1000 disc range (including all the kids stuff). My discs are never, ever put back into cases they don't belong in. They always go back in the case, never left lying out.

Other than that, random, chaotic all over shelves. I do keep the Blu-rays seperate from the DVDs, because they aren't the same size and that messes with my brain. Plus, I like how Blu-rays look and like to keep them where I can get to them easier.

Right now I have my top 10 in order at the start then the rest are sorted by release year.
If you don't mind me asking, how big is your collection and how long does it take you to locate a particular dvd you are looking for?

If you don't mind me asking, how big is your collection and how long does it take you to locate a particular dvd you are looking for?
I've wondered this myself about people who organize in non alphabetical ways. Especially those who do it by genre. What if a movie fits into multiple genres? What then?

And for those who do it by year: Do you have multiple editions of any one movie? For example, I have two copies of Gladiator: the standard edition that was released in 2000 and the extended edition that was released in 2005. Would both copies go in 2000 for the year of theatrical release or one in 2000 and the other in 2005?

It all just seems too complicated to me. I've got my animated features in one section, my tv shows and concerts in another, and all the rest lined up alphabetically.

Yeah, alphabetical seems like the only way if you actually want to find things quickly. I, too, keep TV shows and other categories of discs separate; Blu-rays sometimes, for example.

My collection isn't that big at the moment so it doesn't take me too long to find anything. When it does get bigger I guess I'll switch to alphabetical if it gets too hard to find stuff.

I'm not too fussy about where multiple copies go, usually just in the same place by release year.

I've wondered this myself about people who organize in non alphabetical ways. Especially those who do it by genre. What if a movie fits into multiple genres? What then?

And for those who do it by year: Do you have multiple editions of any one movie? For example, I have two copies of Gladiator: the standard edition that was released in 2000 and the extended edition that was released in 2005. Would both copies go in 2000 for the year of theatrical release or one in 2000 and the other in 2005?

It all just seems too complicated to me. I've got my animated features in one section, my tv shows and concerts in another, and all the rest lined up alphabetically.
Yeah, alphabetical seems like the only way if you actually want to find things quickly. I, too, keep TV shows and other categories of discs separate; Blu-rays sometimes, for example.
My collection isn't that big at the moment so it doesn't take me too long to find anything. When it does get bigger I guess I'll switch to alphabetical if it gets too hard to find stuff.

I'm not too fussy about where multiple copies go, usually just in the same place by release year.

I said in my previous post on here about how mine are organised, Alphabetically is the best way to go.
Don't worry about genre or release date, if you know the name of the film, you know where it is without needing to look.

Takes me no time at all to locate a disc, I know just by the name of the film exactly where it is.
My sister asked me the other week if I had Poltergeist and if she could borrow it.
I didn't even need to look at the shelf, "It's near the top of the right hand pile in the DVD cabinet".
She gave me a funny look when I said that without looking though

Princess of Power
After all the crappy Argos DVD units i've had that promptly then fell apart I'm now saving my pennies to purchase this to hold my collection

Is it wrong to fall in love with furniture that costs over two months rent?