Anchorman 2

Tools    

Anchorman 2 could start filming next February

There has been talk of a sequel to Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy for a few years now, however one of the main issues preventing one from moving forward was getting the cast back together.

Since the film was released back in 2004 both Paul Rudd and Steve Carell’s careers have soared and they are now headlining their own movies. Along with success comes higher salaries, and Paramount may have had second thoughts about paying millions to the main actors considering the first film only made $90 million at the box office. Although in a recent interview director Adam McKay spoke about the cast issue, and he revealed that it might not be much of an issue after all.

From MTV:

“It’s a tricky movie because everyone went and did really well after it, so everyone’s prices went up and everyone’s time got a little more valuable. But at the same time, graciously, Steve and Paul and everyone agreed to cut their price to come and do [the sequel], which you don’t see very often in Hollywood — and cut their price substantially. But even with that, it’s just a budgetary thing with Paramount in terms of how much they’ll give us to make it.”]

“We had an idea and we contacted Steve and Paul and [David] Koechner and Christina [Applegate] and checked in with everyone and they were all game for it,” McKay said. “The stage we’re at now is talking to Paramount and trying to get the money to do it.”
McKay said that if all goes well then they can polish off the script later this year, and be ready to roll cameras by February 2011. He also hinted at the direction the sequel will be heading:

“[The '80s angle is] more the frame of it. We have this other, bigger, crazier idea that’s really more what it’s about, which I can’t say. Our thinking was there’s just no way the second one is going to be as good as the first, because the first one is the first one. So our idea is if we’re going to do a second one, we better go for it and try some insane stuff and we’ll be enjoying it and that way it can’t be half bad.”
Source: Filmonic

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
If they get all the original cast back together this will be great

i think no matter how well it is there will be people who will moan and say its not the first film.
i say why not give it a shot

Please, please, please let this happen. I don't care that it won't be as good as the first film. If it's a fifth as good, I'll laugh my ass off. This is one of the best comedies of the last decade. In fact, I'm gonna watch it again in the next few days.

Paramount decide against an Anchorman 2

Earlier this week we heard from Anchorman director Adam McKay on his plans for Anchorman 2. He said that Steve Carell and Paul Rudd had agreed to cut their price, and they were now “talking to Paramount and trying to get the money to do it.” Well it seems McKay and Paramount have done some talking, but it didn’t go particularly well.

From McKay’s Twitter<&callback=load_tweet">/a>:

So bummed. Paramount basically passed on Anchorman 2. Even after we cut our budget down. We tried.
So Anchorman 2 won’t be happening. That sucks.

The first film only made $90 million worldwide, which is probably why Paramount passed. Here’s what McKay had planned for the sequel:

“[The '80s angle is] more the frame of it. We have this other, bigger, crazier idea that’s really more what it’s about, which I can’t say. Our thinking was there’s just no way the second one is going to be as good as the first, because the first one is the first one. So our idea is if we’re going to do a second one, we better go for it and try some insane stuff and we’ll be enjoying it and that way it can’t be half bad.”
Source:
Filmonic

I wouldn't be surprised if it still happens. Even if box-office was low, there was massive DVD and cult following, if Zoolander can get a sequel....

$90 million isn't bad, and I'll bet it's made an awful lot on DVD/Blu-Ray, as Pyro said. Hard to imagine this wouldn't be profitable, given the following the first film has, the pay cuts involved, and the bankability of so many of the returning actors. Carrell and Ferrell can both open movies on their own, for crying out loud. Maybe the budget was still projected to be huge, but if not, this is pretty strange.

I wouldn't be surprised if it still happens. Even if box-office was low, there was massive DVD and cult following, if Zoolander can get a sequel....
Wait What!?! Zoolander 2? The just made my day!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Glad he went on Conan to announce this.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Insomniac
Glad he went on Conan to announce this.
I know me too, I'm glad it's official now and I can't wait.