The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I hear that... I will poke around a bit to see what I can dig up.
I don't mess with magic much but I've noticed some of the shops in Skyrim sold pretty awesome mage gear. Try checking around the big cities like Solitude and Markarth. Also, I run into lots of P.O.ed necromancer nests in forts and dungeons it seems, and I always walk away with a ton of enchanted robes and staffs and other such stuff my orc is pretty perplexed by. There's a mountain pass to the southwest where a particularly nasty fellow with a small army of skeletons has set up shop.....
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

A system of cells interlinked
Negative.

We've gone out multiple times as well as having people over to hang out etc. I am also constantly hovering over my turntables dropping nasty acid trance in the evening hours...

Like this proper track out of the UK from the 90s...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've got a funny feeling that I met one of the guys behind that track, back in the day. Too many lost nights in The Hacienda.

I've been putting a couple of hours a day into Skyrim, probably about the same length of time as I watch TV every day. Can't game for huge stretches like I used to anyway, the arthritis won't allow it.

Me and my mate once did a 24 hour Elite session. Mind you, it was 25 years ago.

Finally broke down and bought Modern Warfare 3 today. I think Black Ops is the best CoD game out there, but this one is pretty fun. My kids and I are having a blast playing Kill Confirmed and Team Defender.

Kill Confirmed is especialy fun. It's pretty satisying when you grab a ton of the opposing teams tags! It also adds an extra level of challenge to the game.

My kids are playing Special Ops missions right now. My 7-year-old loves playing games where team work is required because he's not as strong a gamer as me and my 14-year-old so he'd rather work with us than against us. The Spec Ops missions are right up his alley.

Fun game, but it still feels a bit like more of the same.

I need to buy Skyrim!

I've played The Sims for six years. First I got the first one to xbox, then I got Sims 2 for pc and now I've got Sims 3 for pc/mac. I really love that game..

there's a frog in my snake oil
So has Skyrim eaten away your social lifes?
It's got me off BF3 MP (Just when I was starting to get some fun voice chat games going with mates. That counts as social right? )

I've never played an RPG-stylee sandbox before, and it took a while to get into it, but now an hour snuck in doesn't feel quite enough. It's got that what's-round-the-next-corner / what's-the-next-level-up vibe, that can eat up hours without you noticing. I'm learning to switch the damn thing off and just look forward to finding out tomorrow tho. (Last night was a social one, so I only snuck on long enough to get mugged by some bandits. I'm gonna exact revenge tonight )

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I have been limiting my play time with the game so I don't stip doing the other things I like. I make sure to read each morning and evening, spin some records, watcha couple of shows with friends or my GF, and I like to cook dinner each evening. last Saturday I think I played for about 8 hours total, with breaks to do other things, and it felt like WAY too much.

Being a Housecarl () I game in the afternoons mostly, until the non-retired get their arses back from work. Ain't touched it today though - My Don't Look Now Blu Ray arrived and I've spent a couple of hours engrossed in little glances and words not said...

Had an email from GAME with a 10% discount code and a reminder that I've got a credit balance with them. Such nice guys.

The code runs out in a couple of days and there's nothing game-wise that I really want so I've got my eye on this, which they're selling at a comparable price to everythwre else I've looked. Plus the 10% discount and my balance.

It's meant to be darned good, and works on PC too.

My old wired 360 pad has seen better days.

I'm currently grabbing my midweek sessions by only half wearing a headset and half-listening while my lady watches her preferred stuff. We can still talk sh*t like that, unless I'm being jumped by some bastard skele at the time. Who says men can't multitask?

It's not ideal, but we're still getting all our cooking and chat in. Sorta depends on TV schedules too - if there's a lot of stuff we both like on then bye bye Skyrim. Think tonight's that way inclined, so prob won't be getting some dual-handed magi-revenge on those robber barons after all.

At least I can browse reddit at work in the meantime

---

I don't need a wife in Skyrim....

Just maxed out my one-handed.
---

---

*EDIT* Bonus reddits...

&start=4

Hmm, I somehow outraged Whiterun last night. After a lovely foraging sesh (in which I somehow circled back in the night and ended back at Whiterun at dawn), they're refusing to let me apologise for whatever it is I did. My 'highest bounty' is 40, so it can't be that serious, but they keep on attacking even if I walk up with sheathed weapons. Internet seems to think it's the feisty Lydia causing the probs and I should leave her somewhere where she can't start a fight while I settle my dues. (Well, internet also says I should sprint in, dump any possible stolen goods in my house, then punch a guard in the face ).

All I know is that my strategy last night of trying to burn my way through the guards to find the head guard and surrender didn't work - and added to my bounty considerably
Anyone else had this prob?

Fave bit of last night: Finding an altar in the middle of nowhere, covered in paraphernalia, and with a dead mage draped over it, while some skele-mages prowled about. Just set the scene so sweetly that the guy had summoned em then been bested. And the place wasn't even a named map location. Great example of how much happenstance stuff is just sitting out there in the wilds.

(PS Seds he had a dark mage robe on, if you're looking for something sinister to wear . Nothing too flash I don't think - just 50% magic recuperation. I'm using it now, and despite feeling something of dandy-goth in that and heavy armour, I am loving the magi-boon, and the extra mobility. Hadn't realised armour was slowing me down so much. I such a noob )

You've not accidentally caught some Whiterun residents up in a Shout? I'm pretty sure that's what turned the entire Bard's College agin me - They won't openly attack (well, they're Bards ) but won't engage in conversation beyond sneering.

The rest of Solitude seem fine with me.

Steam Autumn Sale now on, if anyone's interested. I had a quick look but nothing's jumping out at me which I don't already own. The original Mass Effect for Ł2.49 and the sequel for Ł4.99 look like good deals though.

I did let one rip before I left actually yeah - but everyone still seemed chirpy at that point - don't think it hit anyone.

Oo, shunned by bards. (Actually, in terms of them not singing at you, that sounds almost desirable ).

Sorta speaks to your arg about an expanded log being needed. It'd be good to know not just why we're doing missions (I notice they happily change the tenses of the major missions to 'I bested the beast of FannyBang etc' once you've completed them), but also what our standing is like in places. I think the NPCs sometimes hint at what's up, but not always. They could have a pop up on the map saying 'Everyone in Whiterun thinks you smell like a troll. Kindly ablute' or something?

On the plus side, I do like the suitable NPC asides that get added in - like a guard asking me to enchant his sword, or a traveller warning you not to set the forest on fire with your flaming hands

(I'm rubbish at all the names and lore. I still forget what Whiterun's called and it's the only town I've been too. I do keep meaning to use a mnemonic involving pigeon poo to help me, but then I keep forgetting )

Yeah I have trouble keeping it all straight but I've gotten better. I was absolutely lost in Whiterun the first few times I played there.

On the plus side, I do like the suitable NPC asides that get added in - like a guard asking me to enchant his sword, or a traveller warning you not to set the forest on fire with your flaming hands
I've had guards come up to me asking if I'd mind awfully not Shouting in the town. Much greater variety of npc asides than in Oblivion, to be sure. You got a bit fed up of hearing "Ooooh, look at the muscles on you!", even though it was Wonder Woman saying it.

A Kenneth Williams type would have at least made it funny but the Elder Scrolls games aren't as, erm, progressive as some. Dragon Age was inviting you to practically shag anything that looked at you.

Excellent voice acting all round though (EDIT - Apart from bloody Sheogorath. Again). It helps having quality such as Joan Allen and Old Max. Bethesda always seem to come up trumps in that area - Sean Bean, Cpt Picard, Big Neeson, Terence Stamp, Malcolm McDowell, Wonder Woman etc.

There's some great footage in the Oblivion Making Of with Todd Howard etc being in awe every time Patrick Stewart and Terence Stamp opened their mouths.

EDIT 2 - Ahhhhhhh. Lynda Carter's husband is boss of Zenimax, Bethesda's parent company. No wonder (woman ... I'll stop now ) she's been in everything since Morrowind.

A Kenneth Williams type would have at least made it funny but the Elder Scrolls games aren't as, erm, progressive as some. Dragon Age was inviting you to practically shag anything that looked at you.
I thought there was intersex marriage in this one? But no marriage at all for the beastly races apparently. The furries will have their day! (And what a disturbing day it will be, if Second Life is anything to go by )