Ufc

Tools    

I just hope Diaz gets lucky and lands a big punch and takes the win. Gsp is the most broing and annoying fighter in the ufc. Okay he's good at what he does but it is so boring to watch.

I know this is the MMA thread, but figure this is where fight fans of the MoFo lurk. Joe Frazier passed away yesterday from liver cancer. May he rest in peace. Champions don't come any purer than him.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Just got round to watching UFC 138, solid main card, exciting fights despite the lack of huge name stars on the card. Nice to see some stoppages after UFC 137 which wasn't the best card I've ever seen.

After a long absence it was good to see Terry Etim back in the cage, I watched him when he came out to Abu Dhabi and for a while now I've thought he's one of the most talented prospects at LW. If you ask me, the fight against Faaloloto was just one for the UK fans to see one of the countrymen win and Etim did what was expected.

Alves showed why he's still a force to be reckoned with at welterweight, he'd lost some steam with the loss to Rick Story but bounced back well with a nice tidy finish against a highly touted newcomer. Pretty brutal of Joe Silva and the UFC to put Abedi in against such tough competition in his octagon debut.

I was gutted to see Brad Pickett lose but Renan Barao is a legit force in the division, Sherdog picked him out as the top Brazilian prospect for 2011 and he's living up to the hype.

Leben and Munoz went full pelt for the entire 2 rounds that the fight lasted, would have been interesting to see how it would have gone had the fight been allowed to continue, I'd have thought Leben would gas in the 3rd and 4th and Munoz would have taken the TKO anyway.

I'm not completely sold on Barao yet. He has some good skills, but is still quite unpolished. His stand-up could do with some improvements, especially in the defensive department. Pickett tagged him with some heavy shots and while that does show that Barao has a good beard, he's going to get into a spot of bother when he meets a big puncher. I know there aren't any guys with real concussive power in the UFC BW division, so that works in his advantage.

And yeah, Thiago Alves' win was good, but I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a gatekeeper. The division is stacked and Alves doesn't have the all-around skills to compete with the best anymore.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I just hope Diaz gets lucky and lands a big punch and takes the win. Gsp is the most broing and annoying fighter in the ufc. Okay he's good at what he does but it is so boring to watch.
i read that alot online. I dont get it. George isnt boring.

I'm not completely sold on Barao yet. He has some good skills, but is still quite unpolished. His stand-up could do with some improvements, especially in the defensive department. Pickett tagged him with some heavy shots and while that does show that Barao has a good beard, he's going to get into a spot of bother when he meets a big puncher. I know there aren't any guys with real concussive power in the UFC BW division, so that works in his advantage.

And yeah, Thiago Alves' win was good, but I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a gatekeeper. The division is stacked and Alves doesn't have the all-around skills to compete with the best anymore.
Agreed, Picket was his first real big test and he passed it, although it wasn't with flying colours. He's certainly a top prospect and training with the likes of Aldo will really help him. He'll need a few more top class opponents before we can judge just how good he is.

I think Alves has it in him to make one more title run but he'll never be champ, GSP showed the last time just what a gap in class there is between the two of them. If the trains properly and makes weight for his next few fights I can see him back in the top 5 WWs in the world.

Old news to some, I'm sure, but I was pretty shocked to learn that Cain vs JDS is a free fight this weekend... and it's a title fight to boot.

I'm sure it has to do with this new deal with Fox, and granted the undercard is skimpy ... but still, it's a huge fight and one that I've waited a long time to see.

I predict JDS vs Overeem sometime next Spring/Summer.

i read that alot online. I dont get it. George isnt boring.
I concur. GSP expertly uses his athleticism and skill set to offset his opponents' strengths and punish them for their weaknesses. And to consistently do that at the highest level in MMA, where long win streaks (10+ fights) are a rarity, deserves high praise. I do however fear for him when he ages. He relies a little TOO much on him being the more athletic fighter, on him having the better reflexes and speed. Once those assets erode, he's going to have to make up for them somehow and I'm not sure he can do that.

I concur. GSP expertly uses his athleticism and skill set to offset his opponents' strengths and punish them for their weaknesses. And to consistently do that at the highest level in MMA, where long win streaks (10+ fights) are a rarity, deserves high praise. I do however fear for him when he ages. He relies a little TOO much on him being the more athletic fighter, on him having the better reflexes and speed. Once those assets erode, he's going to have to make up for them somehow and I'm not sure he can do that.
Without a doubt GSP is the undisputed king of the welterweight division, noone can argue that. I just think in his last few fights he's adopted a very conservative approach and doesn't go for the kill when he can. He's happy to ride out fights in top position, moving around just enough not to be stood up and going for the occasional submission.

He's gone to 5 decisions in his last 6 fights which have all been 5 rounders. Granted his opponents have been tough but if you really want to be called the P4P top fighter in the world you need to start finishing guys off. The gap in class between GSP and Dan Hardy is huge, he should have ended that fight within 3 rounds. If Condit and Lytyle can finish Hardy, I have no doubt GSP could, if he really wanted to.

Yeah, that's one thing you can knock him for. His safety first approach doesn't bother me too much, but I catch myself thinking at times that he could go for the finish more.

*****, there are some good fights this weekend with Pacquiao - JMM, JDS - Velasquez, Tim Bradley, Guida - Henderson, but I don't care at all. Those fights seem to be unimportant in the light of the sad news of Monday. I've been rewatching Frazier's fights in the past couple of days. It hit me harder than I thought it would. I knew he wasn't well and expected him to die, but still... Frazier was everything I looked for in a boxer. The ultimate hard worker who came out to fight and knock people out every single time he set foot into that ring as a prizefighter. No bullsh!t, no hyping, no running his mouth, just get right to smokin' his opponents in that ring.

Champions don't come more true.

What did I tell you's lot a year ago? JDS is a man made weapon and I had a funny feeling it would be his night tonight. Pretty much walked through Cain. Cain will be back though. He had a hefty layoff and I believe was struggling with a lot of injuries.

But yeah, Cigano is the heavyweight champ. Best striker in the Heavyweight division and a tough nut to crack.

^ Me too... called it a few posts up.

Cain should've tried harder for the shot... he almost had it with Jr's early kick.

Ah well, every champ needs a loss.

Yeah, it was the most commited shot ever, and I guess he was just biding his time, but his flawed guard defense got exposed. You'd think he'd have learned from the Kongo fight to up his guard and not leave his chin so exposed, but he didn't. Your right though, he'll come back and I feel sorry for whoever he faces next.

I need to find the fights somehow, didn't catch to catch the event but glad to see Jnr as the new champ, I've said for a while he'd be a future HW Champion, hopefully will be champ for a while as well, love his style and technique.

I was sad to see Guida lost as he's been on the cusp of title contention for a very long time, guess he'll need to put together another strong set of wins again. Benderson has stepped up to the big leagues nicely, him vs Edgar has all the components neccesary to be a classic bout.

Gotta give a shoutout to Bruce Leeroy as well, here I was thinking he was nothing more than an interesting character with no real skills and then he goes and takes out an ex WEC champ.

he will probabley get the loser of lesnar and overeem.

Jds vs Overeem

lesnar vs Cain II Is what we will probs get.

Cain showed a big weakness in the kongo fight getting dropped in every round, so i knew if jds hit him it was lights out. Some big haters on youtube saying the fight got stopped to early, me i think it got stopped at the right time.

**** this *****. Did anyone catch the JMM - Pacquiao fight? Absolute robbery that one.

Dana was questioning Cains performence, asking why he didnt shoot for the take down, why he didnt push the pace, why he didnt fet Jds against the cage, is Dane for Real?. The fight lasted 1 minute, Cain tryed for a takedown and failed what did Dana expect Cain to do in 1 minute, dana pisses me off.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The great news for St. Pierre is, he was fortunate to hit his prime as MMA was somewhat lucrative so when his skills begin to fade, he can responsibly look to retire. The other thing is, relative to the commen perception of the lifestyle of the professional athlete, Georges is remarklably low key. I caught clips of the documentary on him and Loiseau awhile back, and the coolest thing was the footage of George paying off every debt his parents had, and setting up an accoount to pay for any future bills.

His Dad calling him in Brazil to give him ***** for doing so was classic.

Anyways you won't see St Pierre doing the Mark Coleman routine in his fortiesm fighten for a paycheque on undercards.

Ha, this is getting good.

The very-early ratings are in for Saturday's UFC on FOX event, and the one-hour special drew an estimated 4.64 million viewers, according to tvbythenumbers.com.

More complete and accurate ratings information will be available on Monday.

But based on initial estimates, the UFC on FOX broadcast (and Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos title fight) scored similar ratings as "EliteXC: Primetime," a 2008 CBS-televised event with a Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson headliner that scored 4.3 million viewers and a peak of 6.5 million.

The peak number for the UFC on FOX title fight, which took place at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., isn't immediately available.

According to the estimates, the FOX broadcast ranked third in its timeslot among the major networks. ABC's airing of college football (7.21 million viewers) and CBS' "NCIS" episode (5.5 million) both scored better. Additionally, FOX's preceding program, an episode of "Cops," scored 4.81 million viewers.

Again, though, more accurate Nielsen numbers won't be available until tomorrow. (EliteXC's estimated numbers, for example, rose once the official numbers came in.)

The Velasquez vs. Dos Santos fight lasted a mere 64 seconds. Dos Santos connected with an overhand right and forced a TKO stoppage with follow-up punches to take the belt from Velasquez.

In the lead-up to Saturday's event, which was a "teaser" of a seven-year deal that officially kicks off in 2012, UFC and FOX officials refused to predict ratings for the show.

A "UFC Primetime" special that aired on Oct. 30 (at various times depending on the market) averaged two million viewers.

If the numbers don't rise drastically, UFC on FOX probably won't be the highest-rated fight in UFC history. Spike TV actually set that record in 2009 when episode No. 3 of "The Ultimate Fighter 10: Heavyweights" (which featured a pre-taped fight between "Kimbo" and Roy Nelson) drew 5.3 million viewers and a peak of 6.1 million. The previous high was set in 2007 when 5.9 million viewers tuned in for Spike TV's Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Dan Henderson UFC 75 main-event bout.

Kimbo > UFC.

It's almost impossible to build a really huge MMA star, because they just can't get win streaks going. There's GSP and Anderson, but not being American probably hurts them. They also don't have real crossover power to reach the casual fans. It's a bit sad to see that the UFC's biggest star is a former WWE wrestler who is about as private about his personal life as you can get. They won't ever breed stars like Pacquiao or Mayweather. The only one who could potentially be huge is Jon Jones, because he could transition to the heavyweights. This isn't to spark a boxing vs MMA debate, but it's just the reality.

I'm going through a little 'meh' phase when it comes to MMA.