Overrated Actors

Tools    

Godfather a.k.a Don Tirell
i hat will feral

Sudoku Blackbelt
Julia Roberts

Yea, she won an Oscar, and everyone thinks she's one of the best out there.

But for me, great acting is when you forget they're acting.

With Julia Roberts, there's this constant "Look at me, I'm acting" undertone in everything she does.

But that's just me.

...just about every great character actor, once they get to leading man status....
Yep, they do tend to crumble after that, (with an exception of Tom Hanks, he appears to be incorruptible *darn*).
btw, what's that flick on your avatar?

Sudoku Blackbelt
...just about every great character actor, once they get to leading man status....
Yep, they do tend to crumble after that, (with an exception of Tom Hanks, he appears to be incorruptible *darn*).
btw, what's that flick on your avatar?

Russell Crowe doesn't seem to have crumbled either. I tried for the longest time to not like him, but the simple fact is, the guy is pretty doggone good.

I put Julia Roberts in this thread.

One overrated male actor is Mel Gibson. Jimimny Crickets! What a hack! He's just sooo over the top, whatever the emotion he's trying to convey.

i hat will feral

I hat him too.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Julia Roberts

Yea, she won an Oscar, and everyone thinks she's one of the best out there.

But for me, great acting is when you forget they're acting.

With Julia Roberts, there's this constant "Look at me, I'm acting" undertone in everything she does.

But that's just me.
I agree with everything you say... Except the bit were you claim people rate her. She won an Oscar, it's true, and it was a good performance. However, I don't think there were too many who thought anything other than "she'll never do better than this. She's made us a ******** of money, so let's give her an Oscar for her services to our bank balances and raising the profile of Hollywood movies." It's the same Oscar that Sandra Bullock got.

that's what she said...
Robert Di Nero and Angelina Jolie. I Like their movies and all, they are good actors, but I do believe they are a tad bit overrated because not all their main roles are in good movies, yet people claim all their movies are good because they are in them. Sorry for the run on sentance, but am I making sense?

Like I said, I like most of their movies, just think the two are a tad bit overrated.

I loathe Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.
If Mark Wahlberg were recognized universally as the worst actor to have ever lived, I'd still say he was overrated.

that's what she said...
If Mark Wahlberg were recognized universally as the worst actor to have ever lived, I'd still say he was overrated.
Aw, I rather like Mark Wahlberg as an actor. Especially when he plays the role of a Father in The Lovely Bones. But I respect your opinion

I'm a big Will Ferrell fan. Mark Walhberg i'm a bit indifferent to, though his character in The Departed annoyed me. Then again, that may have been the point...

that's what she said...
Like I said, like most of all the movies he's in. He is a good actor and all I just (in my own opinion) think he's a little overrated. I am in no way saying I dont like him.

I have to agree. Marky Mark is neck and neck with Orlando Bloom for the position of Least Favorite Actor Ever.

Ditto Branden Fraser.

I'm a big Will Ferrell fan. Mark Walhberg i'm a bit indifferent to, though his character in The Departed annoyed me. Then again, that may have been the point...
The Happening was a pretty good movie, minus Wahlberg. A lot of the time the movie itself could be good, but merely his presence is enough to destroy anything meaningful. I still cannot comprehend what could have possessed Martin Scorcese to cast him in The Departed - that one move has tarnished the respect I have for one of the greatest directors of all time.

Ditto Branden Fraser.
Gods And Monsters? School Ties? No?

The Happening was a pretty good movie,
Waaah?!?!

...minus Wahlberg. A lot of the time the movie itself could be good, but merely his presence is enough to destroy anything meaningful.
That mess was entirely down to Shyamalan. The acting was terrible, but if you're the director and you accept that, then either they did what you wanted or you couldn't get better performances out of them. Either way, he's to blame. That, and the third act was awful.

Gods And Monsters? School Ties? No?
Yeah, I definitely can't agree with Kitch's assessment of Fraser. I think he's actually quite a gifted dramatic actor when he applies himself. Pity he's done so many horrible comedies (excepting Encino Man which I love and I don't care who knows it) and action/adventure junk like The Mummy.

I loved his character in The Departed! He was so over the top that it was fun.