Gunny's 50 Greatest Film Noirs

→ in
Tools    

Semper Fooey
Where the heck did Gunny go? He didn't finish his list!

I can now reveal his number one film noir is The Third Man and unless he shows up to identify first choice, there is no one who can prove different.

Where the heck did Gunny go? He didn't finish his list!
I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe he's on vacation, a rather long vacation. He could've been tangled up in a real life film noir and he's currently on the run/trying to set things right.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Semper Fooey
I think he was like fifty. You think because he knew his film noirs he was a real old geezer.

Semper Fooey
Anything can happen. It was announced on a site I used to go to one of them died suddenly and he was in his early or mid forties.

But I am pretty sure Gunny is still kicking.

I was checking out all the other lists that have popped up here lately and thought to myself, what happened with the one list I was most interested in. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I think this site could use a few more genre specific lists. I'll plus rep the ***** out of it if anyone does make one.

Semper Fooey
Since Gunny seems to be permanently AOL, I am goin to try to figure out the other 13 movies that would have made the list, but not in any order. One problem is the rubbery definition of noir as he had The Letter on the list and I would not have thought that was one with its British characters in an exotic setting.

The Third Man

Double Indemnity

Treasure of Sierra Madre (noir?)

The Maltese Falcon

Murder My Sweet ( a little too high on a list for my taste, but I don't think I saw it earlier)

Sunset Boulevard

In a Lonely Place

On the Waterfront (noir?)

Semper Fooey
Some more, checking the list to see if they were there.

Out of the Past

Laura

At least one of these boxing movies should have made the list. They were all big movies when they came out:

The Set-Up (the least successful at the time, but probably the one most acclaimed today)

The Champion, the movie that established Kirk Douglas as a star

Body and Soul, the most popular of the three, but maybe the most dated now.

I am still missing a few.

The Harder They Fall is good, but I can't believe it would be that high.

I have a feeling he overlooked House of Strangers

The Lost Weekend (noir?)

Panic in the Streets

Whatever Will said and probably some of these too:

Strangers on a Train
The Night of the Hunter
The Big Heat
Spellbound
Suspicion
Gilda
Mildred Pierce
Dark passage