Daniel Stamm Directing Martyrs Remake

Tools    

The LA Times has reported that THE LAST EXORCISM director, Daniel Stamm, has been hired to helm the American remake of the uber violent French horror, MARTYRS. Stamm spoke briefly about the original and his vision for the film, but not much else is known about what Stamm has in mind for the remake or how closely he could stay to the original material and get a wide release.

Stamm also shot down a rumor that Kristen Stewart was going to star in the remake, which relieved all fans of the original, though I’m sure many Twilight haters would love to see Stewart suffer the fate of the main character in the original.

The original film was directed by Pascal Laugier and followed a young girl Lucie who escapes from a torture chamber and plots revenge against the people that inflicted the horror upon her, along with her friend Anna. Anna soon discovers that she is up against something more horrifying than she could have imagined.

Martyrs has topped many of our top lists over the years including being named one of the Top 10 Horror Movies of 2009 and Top 10 Most Disturbing Horror Movies
http://www.moviesonline.ca/2010/11/m...make-director/

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Why the hell would you remake this great movie, why. Everytime I hear about a Foreign film being remade in America it just annoys me so badly, get your own ideas and stop rehashing other peoples great movies.

Just watch this scene and then tell me why you would remake this.

Because it has a reputation and, therefore, the money men know there's an audience out there for it. In short, it has a proven track record and, therefore, is a less risky investment.

And that, ladies and gentlement, is all you need to know about the film business.

Semper Fooey
It could be worse. When I first saw the headline I thought it said they were remaking Marty.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I understand about the low risk high yield reason to remake a movie. But what does that say about the director, aren't they worried about getting that reputation of being a lazy money crazed person. Or am I just way to naive when it comes to Hollywood.

I understand about the low risk high yield reason to remake a movie. But what does that say about the director, aren't they worried about getting that reputation of being a lazy money crazed person.
They won't hear that from anyone they're likely to meet. Quite the reverse if they become a success.

Or am I just way to naive when it comes to Hollywood.
It would appear so. But you're questioning it, so you either know more than you did or more than you think you do.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The original is too harsh to be remade, guaranteed the remake will be softer and won't be as effective.

Suspect's Reviews

The original is too harsh to be remade, guaranteed the remake will be softer and won't be as effective.
This nails it exactly. Martyrs is a crazy, brutal film.

WARNING: "plot details for the original" spoilers below
Plus it has a pretty harsh ending and I can't see that being a positive in the eyes of a Hollywood team of filmmakers. Don't they try to not make films with sad or down endings? Do they really want to make a film where one of the leads is skinned in the end? And, of course, you can't change that ending because it would change the entire film, even the meaning of the name!

Can't imagine this being remade. Not properly anyway. The only remake I have high hopes for is Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
They might keep the ending the way it is. A similar thing happened in an episode of BUFFY and that was on TV.

I just think they amount of stuff we see will be significantly less and the violence toned down. I had trouble watching the original because of the content.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
They might keep the ending the way it is. A similar thing happened in an episode of BUFFY and that was on TV.

I just think they amount of stuff we see will be significantly less and the violence toned down. I had trouble watching the original because of the content.
I new they would have to change the ending.

Daniel Stamm ("The Last Exorcism") has been signed to direct the English-language remake of violent French horror feature "Martyrs" reports 24 Frames.
Pascal Laugier helmed the original 2008 feature about Lucie and Anna, two orphans who are friends until Lucie goes on a murderous rampage to avenge abuse she seemingly suffered as a child.
Stamm says the remake won't be as infamously nihilistic as the original, saying "The American approach [that I'm looking at] would go through all that darkness but then give a glimmer of hope. You don't have to shoot yourself when it's over."

Stamm says the remake won't be as infamously nihilistic as the original, saying "The American approach [that I'm looking at] would go through all that darkness but then give a glimmer of hope. You don't have to shoot yourself when it's over."
How gay can you get

Why the hell would you remake this great movie, why. Everytime I hear about a Foreign film being remade in America it just annoys me so badly, get your own ideas and stop rehashing other peoples great movies.

Just watch this scene and then tell me why you would remake this.
I agree.

What a freaking idiot. It's called "Martyrs" for s***s sake!

No. You are all fools. This is going to be the best movie ever. Just watch.

The original sucked because it was dark and depressing. This one won't. This one will be fun. Sorry, but this is America. We enjoy life here. We're not a bunch of snooty existentialists like those French. By the way, isn't France like the worst country in the world? Screw 'em, screw the original, and screw you too.