What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

I picked up three DVDs in my last order from Amazon.co.uk because 2 of them aren't available here and I just felt like buying the other too-

It was Blue Valentine with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Saw it in the theater and it sort of reminded me of The Notebook. Actually it was directed by the same guy.
Ummmm, first of all, The Notebook and Blue Valentine were not directed by the same person. Not even close. Second of all, I don't see how something as emotionally raw and stylistically stripped down as Blue Valentine reminds you of something as mainstream Hallmark Hall of Famey as The Notebook. Do you remember the scene in The Notebook where James Garner held down Gena Rowlands on the floor of a cheap motel and forced sex on her?!? Me either.

Did seeing Hard Candy also remind you of Juno?!?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I forgot to mention that I bought Fassbinder's magnum opus Berlin Alexanderplatz when Barnes & Noble had their Criterion sale.

Nice purchase.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I just bought Big Fish from Play, it hasn't been delivered to me yet though.

I haven't actually seen it so I don't know if it's worth buying but it was pretty cheap.

I couldn't be bothered to wait to get it from Blockbuster, was at the top of my queue but it keeps getting missed for others further down. So saw it cheap in the supermarket near me in a nice slipcase edition, so decided to just buy it.

Its A Team I just love the action and the comedy as well

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
To add insult to injury, my stupid netbook deleted the movie UHF, which I had saved on my netbook and now I don't know how to get it back because I have the worst laptop. Any ways, I went to MovieStop and picked it up on DVD because that's what Weird Al would want.

that's what she said...
INCEPTION.
Blockbuster was going out of business so I was going to go on a shopping spree, but the store had basically been picked clean by the time I got there... Then to my surprise (and luck), as I was scoping out what ps3 games were left I found in that section misplaced! As you can imagine, I was super happy!

Quite a few recently (i.e a lot more than these). Will have to get a proper post up in my dvd thread, but this will do for now...

Altered
Streetwalkin'
The Tournament
The Stepford Wives
(1975)
The Frightened Woman
Vengeance Is Mine

I love The Stepford Wives, so I think that's a great buy. Let me know what you think of Streetwalkin' when you've seen it. I was tempted by it myself, but decided against it.

Ultimately I thought it was an interesting failure.

Nice reversal on the alien abduction mythos, with a plot that unfolds like a mystery keeping you guessing. Just a shame too much of the first act is marred by characters endlessly bickering, and the subsequent story has far too many plot holes and questionable logic to really deliver a decent pay off.

On the plus side the film has a really nice could have-been-made back-in-the 80's aesthetic (barring a briefly glimpsed mobile phone, and modern sheriff's car) complete with tangible 'on the screen' old school special effects, and lots of ideas knocking about.

Who needs perfection anyway.

What did you think Mark?

[EDIT] Streetwalkin' is in the mail, so I haven't seen it yet. I have the trailer on one of my an old Vestron VHS ex-rentals and it's pure gold. It looks like a real 80's time capsule of endearing sleaze and cheesy pop music, with big hair, and lacey negligee all over the place...I can't wait.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yep, I thought Altered was an improvement on The Blair Witch Project, but as you say, too much bickering was a leftover from the earlier film. I gave it
and admit it had loads of ideas which would have been nice to have seen on screen rather than just imagined in my mind. IMDb claims it had an $8 million budget, but I find that difficult to believe. Of course, my brother likes it more than I do and is willing to cut it more slack based on the idea all by itself. The alien was interesting for a while but then it started looking too much like a guy in a suit, but that didn't really bother me. It's short enough to watch more than once, especially if you're into the "genre".