Television Tab

Tools    

BTW, anyone watch episode one of The Hour? Although obvious, I thought it unfair and incorrect to refer to it as a British Mad Men. Had the people that said that not seen the first episode? Maybe the first episode is unlike the rest. Whatever, apart from being set in the world of 50's BBC, complete with sexism and "The Establishment", I didn't see Mad Men, at all. I liked it and I'll certainly be watching for a few more episodes at least.
Liked it too. Great cast! Like the intrigue that Freddie is getting caught up in. Dominic West - god how smarmy! Def one for the weekly watch list !

I'm glad you brought up the storyline Freddie's getting involved in, because that's what made me wonder about the Mad Men comparisons. How, if you've watched the first episode, could you talk about comparing it to Mad Men on anything other than the most superficial level? OK, it's set around the time of the first season of Mad Men and the men are sexist, but other than that? That first episode had an assassination, an apparent suicide that, most likely, will turn out to be a murder and obvious MI6 involvement. Had those who compared The Hour to Made Men not seen Mad Men? Or had they just reviewed a programme they'd not watched, ala Matthew Wright and the David Soul play?

That is quite puzzling Hon, and a bit silly. Set in the same time and the men are sexist and everyone smokes - well absolutely anything set during that era wouldn't be authentic if those things weren't there. It's been quite annoying reading reviews of The Hour, I don't think I read one that didn't compare it with Mad Men. Sloppy and lazy.

Re: Falling Skies. The fourth one got my attention a bit more. The close up business with trying to communicate with the skitter was interesting. and Pope off now as a loose cannon could be good too. It's coming Hon, it's coming

The People's Republic of Clogher
So the BBC has lost half its F1 coverage to Sky. Gutted, totally gutted.

Me too. But the truth is that there are cuts to be made and 'certain' areas of the press/media have been pushing this hard, as F1 is a 'minor' sport that the BBC spent a large amount of money on. Of course, Sky could've outbid the BBC if they wanted to and my guess is that Bernie had a lot to with the Beeb keeping as much as they have. In the end, this will come down to the bottom line (as usual.) If the teams make more money, it'll be fine. If it's marginal and the feeling's bad from the fans, it'll come back to the BBC after 2018. However, if the subscriptions to Sky Sports don't increase and the goodwill's not there from the fans (which it won't be) then the teams may well force Bernie to do something.

It really is a shame, though, as not only is the racing as good as it's been in a very long time, but the coverage is (IMO) the best it's ever been.

The way I read it is that for Sky to get any coverage at all they needed to partner with one of the terrestrial channels so the 'free-to-air' bit of the Concorde agreement could be satisfied.

If the BBC (or C4 and Five) didn't want to do business with Murdoch then Bernie couldn't do business with him either.

Dunno how much wriggle room there is in the Concorde Agreement but the likes of Whitmarsh and Horner seem to be somewhat mollified and are saying that the races that the BBC won't host live will be shown in their entirety on a delayed feed. Bernie, funnily, says it'll be highlights only...

What's gonna happen when the likes of Vodafone, Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull, the Fiat Group and Santander find that only a couple of million people are watching their mobile advertising hoardings as opposed to 7mil+ on Sunday afternoons?

Even from Sky's POV it seems like such a cock-eyed deal because, even though they've got all the races live, they're only gonna have half of them exclusively.

Of course, this could just be another classic Bernie negotiating tactic and we'll eventually have our live races.

Brundle is apparently furious.

Yes, I saw that Brudle was very disgruntled, to say the least. I hope it's all a Bernie tactic and, like you, I can't really see what Sky get from it beyond adding to their schedule. Maybe they're trying to add a summer schedule so that when the football finishes there might be a sport people stick around for, rather than cancelling for the summer?

Watched the last few episodes of Lie To Me. I know it's preposterous and complete bollocks, but I enjoyed it. I always watched it whilst on the computer, so it never had my full attention and I don't know if I could've stood it if it did, but I'm sad to see it go. I think it'd started to find itself this season.

Have you got Sky, HK?

We had the Astra satellite dish when I was a kid but everything was free to air as long as you had the set-up. I remember watching Tyson-Douglas, for example, but then it slowly went subscription and we lost interest.

The BBC are trialling HD online streaming of the race today from 12 if you're interested.

Yes, I have Sky and I have Sky Sports. But that's not the point. F1 is like Wimbledon, it just should be on the BBC. Added to this is, as most people agree, that this is the best BBC coverage for a very long time, if not ever. It's a terrible time to change.

Even when it went to ITV, as annoying as the ad breaks were, it was the poor coverage that hurt the most. It took them 2 or 3 years before they got it to a standard that seemed to work and appear professional and develop a flow and familiarity that came across naturally.

Yep, I agree. I'll put up with ads if the coverage is good which is why I wasn't too disappointed when I heard that C4 or even Five were interested in the F1 rights, provided they got some talent in to produce and commentate.

Steve Rider and Mark Blundell? Nah.

James Allen was annoying at times (but is a hell of an F1 journalist) but he was a cross between John Arlott, Sid Waddell, Murrey Walker and Kent Walton when compared to poor old Jonathan Legard.

Seems that Sky want Brundle as their main man next season - We'll now see how angry he actually is about the deal.

So, who thinks it's terribly pathetic that I am about to start a marathon viewing of -
Xena: Warrior Princess..?

despite the laughing smiley, I am actually serious

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
So, who thinks it's terribly pathetic that I am about to start a marathon viewing of -
Xena: Warrior Princess..?

despite the laughing smiley, I am actually serious
That sounds AWESOME.

I know this has a fan or two here.

'Spooks' to end after ten years on the BBC

Spooks will come to an end after ten series, it has been announced.

Production company Kudos has taken the decision to end the show. However, it has promised that the BBC One espionage drama will end "in its prime", with a focus on counter-terrorism chief Sir Harry Pearce (Peter Firth).

Jane Featherstone of Kudos told The Guardian: "I feel very sad about it. It was a very difficult decision to make.

"But we didn't want to get to the point where the BBC said, 'We don't really want another one', we wanted to kill it off in its prime."

Featherstone added that she feels Pearce and his colleague Ruth Evershed (Nicola Walker) are "the heart of the show". She also promised that their story would have a "natural end".

Spooks debuted in 2002 and has featured a host of well-known British actors including Matthew Macfadyen, Keeley Hawes, Hermione Norris, Richard Armitage, Sophia Myles and Rupert Penry-Jones.

Ben Stephenson, controller, BBC Drama commissioning, said in a statement: "Kudos created a groundbreaking series in Spooks ten years ago that challenged convention with its topical, fast-paced, contemporary style.

"It quickly became a hit with audiences and established itself as a key part of the BBC One schedule and redefined drama on the channel for a new generation... [i] hope fans will tune in this September to see what promises to be a fittingly high-octane, thrilling finale."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s120/...n-the-bbc.html

There's a clip from the end of serie 9 if you click the link.

The Hour is coming to an end next week. Are you still watching it Hon? This weeks was really fine. I'm loving the period detail and the social differences between the 50s and now. The series is getting better, I'll miss it. The characters Hector and Bel aren't even very nice people but Romola Garai and Dominic West have made them fascinatingly flawed personalities. There's several strong woman characters too, Lix the foreign correspondent is wonderfully complicated and Hector's wife played by Oona Chaplin (Charlie's grandaughter) had a great scene as the wronged wife confronting Bel with dignity - a subtle performance.

Has anyone been watching The Borgias? I was a bit iffy about it for the first two but am finding that its the beautiful visuals that's getting to me rather than the rather hammy performances - specially Jeremy Irons .
Think I might watch it with the sound turned down. It's pretty gorgeous, loving the use of shadows and the great camerawork. They've obviously gone for staging some scenes like paintings from the renaissance greats

I've got the first three episodes recorded, so I'm going to take a run at it sometime soon. It looks like something I'd like to like, but I have the feeling that may not be the case. A bit like Treme.