Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

→ in
Tools    

Just saw it (first film I've seen in awhile)

Three things bugged me:

1. I thought the writing was glaringly bad at a couple of cathartic moments. Basically, those moments involved Harry talking to ghosts and the ghost saying something to the effect: "We'll always be in your heart." Sirius doesn't say this, but points to Harry's heart. I think Dumbledore says it though. That's just terrible writing. Absolutely didn't need to be said and right on the nose too. Just awful.
2. The other part I didn't like was Neville killing Nagani. He just comes out of nowhere. Didn't seem as heroic as it could have. It would have been so much more satisfying to see some kind of battle between the two, but then, maybe Nagani would have been too much for Neville. Anyway, I didn't think it came across that well.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
actually, the Neville killing Nagini part was different in the book - and way better. the reason it felt so weird was because they cut out what actually happened for the movie. i was really looking forward to it because it's such an awesome part - there's a thing with the sorting hat being set on fire while it's on Neville's head and stuff, but they cut that part out.

so what was your third thing?

Was disappointing. Some really trite dialogue, as mentioned. The majority of the film undermined a lot of the first and just demonstrated how unnecessary dragging it across two parts was, the destroying Horocrux's was a challenge in Part 1, finding the sword etc then the majority of Part 2 removed the difficulty of finding them, destroying them and just became an elimination process (i'm trying to avoid spoilers but long trip to find sword vs fang under their noses). Some of the plot points were obscure (i didn't realise that was the resurrection stone- which explained the Kings Cross nonsense) certain characters arcs were handled poorly and an ongoing issue with the franchise is their dealing with character deaths, which are either overly sentimental or too downplayed. The big battle of Hogwarts was an unfocussed mess. The whole experience was just really unsatisfying.

I'll agree to disagree on most of the other points (well, pretty much ALL of the other points), but the King's Cross stuff was the perfect ending. It's completely in keeping with the classical themes interwoven into the books from the very, very beginning and was a long time coming. It may look silly when viewed only on the surface, but it makes perfect sense and underlines all the book's themes and parallels.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I was disappointed. I thought the battle at Hogwarts was going to be much more grand, more epic than it actually was. Daniel Radcliffe is a terrible actor and the movie mostly focused on him, unfortunately. In truth, I didn't care all too much about his struggle or his last stand with Voldemort. I wasn't emotionally invested in this film as I had previously been with some of the others.

I enjoyed the sequence at Gringott's, with the dragon and all...but why didn't it last longer?! The trailers did a really good job of making it seem as though the dragon would have more of a role in the movie.

The whole thing felt a bit rushed, too. Weak character development, and no standard Harry Potter humor! What's up with that?! I know it was meant to be dark and all, but there was absolutely no comic relief...the whole movie felt so heavy, so serious. Why the hell was Hagrid in it for, like, 2 minutes?! He's one of the best characters in the series, I was so pissed that he was barely given any attention.

I didn't like the afterlife sequence with Dumbledore AT ALL. I felt like it was a time-killing scene that should have been shaved down or cut out completely.

I hate to bag on Harry Potter, but I was expecting so much more for the finale.

7/10

7 out of 10 seems awfully generous for so poor a review!

anyway, i really enjoyed it. it didn't stray too far from the book which was great. i know people kept moaning about how making this one a 2 part movie was a money making scheme, but even at that it did seem terribly rushed.

"Shave down" King's Cross? It's the whole ending! It's the whole point of the series! Maybe we can disagree about whether or not you like the series as a whole, or just found the execution wanting, but it's the culmination of the entire series, not some extraneous scene that can just be edited out.

"Shave down" King's Cross? It's the whole ending! It's the whole point of the series! Maybe we can disagree about whether or not you like the series as a whole, or just found the execution wanting, but it's the culmination of the entire series, not some extraneous scene that can just be edited out.
I can appreciate the importance of the scene, Yoda. I never read a single Harry Potter book so I'm just judging strictly as a movie-goer. I guess what I'm saying is that the scene felt a little disjointed from the rest of the film...it took me out of the story for a bit. That's all.

Fair play. I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting or actually outraged here; maybe reading the books make a big difference. I read them all, and looking back I can't really imagine it ending all that differently without abandoning the things it was building to all along. Perhaps that's much less evident in the films, particularly after translation, and particularly when spaced out over a decade (not that the books weren't, but I read the first few in quick succession).

It's unconventional, to be sure. But then again, they're unconventional stories. I feel like some people (not you, necessarily) are dismissing it just because it's unusual.

7 out of 10 seems awfully generous for so poor a review!
I don't have the heart to give Harry Potter anything less than a 7. Even though I was disappointed with DH Part 2 it's still a Harry Potter movie, and I can't be too mad.

Hehe; I know that feeling. I was the same way with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I now simultaneously say I kinda liked it and pretend that it doesn't exist at all when it comes up in conversation.

Fair play. I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting or actually outraged here; maybe reading the books make a big difference.
I'm certain that reading the books would have made a huge difference for me. I opted out of reading the books because I wanted each movie to completely surprise me

One day, though, I will read each and every single one - and I'm sure I will love them.

Man, you should have held off watching the movies so the books would have been a surprise!

I'm just saying, i'm almost certain anyone who reads the book this movie is based on would no way in hell be dissatisfied.

I actually have never been able to understand it when people really love the HP movies but don't want to read the books. The experience is about a thousand times more rewarding. They're just denying themselves an amazingly written read.

Man, you should have held off watching the movies so the books would have been a surprise!

I'm just saying, i'm almost certain anyone who reads the book this movie is based on would no way in hell be dissatisfied.

I actually have never been able to understand it when people really love the HP movies but don't want to read the books. The experience is about a thousand times more rewarding. They're just denying themselves an amazingly written read.
I want to read them, truly. I just need to find the time!

I think I meant I had two things.

I mentioned two dialogue moments. Those count as two. Then Nagini is the third.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I too loved the King's Cross ending, it was such a lovely bookend to a series that has been going on for a decade (or 14 years for those who read the first book when it came out).

It was such a nice way of showing how the wizarding world has moved on from the terrible events of Voldemort and his armies, and sending the next generation off to Hogwarts seemed like the best way of closing Harry's story.

I actually thought the ending worked much better in the film than it did in the book, where I felt it was too cheesy and out of place (and unfortunately, like much of the 7th and 6th books, not very well written). In the film though it was perfect, and what better way of ending a decade long film franchise than playing it off with a bit of John Williams.

Also kudos to the effects guys for actually managing to age young actors convincingly for once.

I thought it was a very satisfying end to a series that, despite never really being as good as it could have been, was still a huge part of my life.

I know the Hobbit comes out next year (I'm too pessimistic to think lightning will strike twice) but, it's a sad realisation that all the franchises of my childhood and younger teens like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and now Harry Potter, are now over (even Toy Story!), and it's left a big gaping chasm that will one day have to be filled by something special.

There are those who call me...Tim.
One thing that I thought was unforgivable though was how little screen time some of the "minor" characters had. That huge moment for the Weasley family towards the end of the battle of Howarts should not have been shown briefly, only to be seemingly forgotten about.

For once I actually wish one of these films was a bit longer, another 5 minutes would have been plenty to give many more characters an extra line or two here and there.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Am I the only one who really loved this movie? Both Radcliffe and Ralph Fiennes were terrific, some great effects, and the already mentioned "perfect" ending. It was the best way to send out such a great franchise.

This currently ranks as my second favourite Potter film.