Woman with two kids: 1982

Tools    

Ok, this might be a long shot, but in 1982 I started to watch a movie with my girlfriend, but it was late at night and her mother wanted me to go home. All I remember is that the timeline was the 1930's, a woman was married to an abusive husband with a drinking problem, she had two kids, and she escaped her abusive hard drinking husband. The last scene I remember is when she was waiting for a bus or a train with her children and telling them to be brave or not be afraid. This could be a typical formula for many movies, but I'll take any leads.

Semper Fooey
Was it a movie from the 1930s or set in the 1930s?

It was a movie set in the 1930's.

Was Sally Field in it?

Many of those details fit for...

Raggedy Man
(1981 - Jack Fisk)

Starring Sissy Spacek, with a pre-E.T. Henry Thomas as the older of her two sons.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raggedy Man.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	7423  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK! I finally found this movie. It's called 'Stolen Children', starring Mare Winningham and Robert Wightman. It took me 35 years to find this movie. I found it on Youtube according to the topic. The reason why it took so long is because one night many years ago I was at my girlfriends house, and the movie was on TV. We were into the movie until her mother insisted that I had to leave, so I didn't get to find out what the name of the movie was or who was in it.

freedom~empathy~peace
Just thought I'd add this...
I looked up your film on IMDB, and it is listed with the following title: 'Missing Children: A Mother's Story' (a 1982 TV movie drama). There are other films with the title 'Stolen Children', but they feature different casts.