Blue velvet, not exatly a review, merely some opinions

→ in
Tools    

the cover says:
you will either love or hate blue velvet - but you will never get away from it.

hmm, not really, iīd give 3 out of 5 and i will probably have forgotten about in a week.

it starts out brilliant, a few pictures perfectly describing where we are: flowers, a firetruck with a waving fireman, a police helping children over the street and a man watering his garden tells us of an idyllic american smalltown.

the man then falls down in cramps from what i first thought was a bee-sting and an allergetic shock but later seemed to be some sort of heartstroke. that doesnīt really matter though.
then the camera moves down and in to the grass where we see bugs fighting and it tells us that there is something wrong here under the surface.

as in twin peaks and lost highway there is a tension, an excitement of what is to come because you can never tell and it really hooks me the first 30 minutes.

then i donīt know. maybe itīs the late pizzadeliveyguy that interrupts the movie when itīs really starts getting interesting and thus getting me out of the mood or maybe the film simply just doesnīt keep me interested. itīs still good but not as mysterious as i would want(or maybe i should take the movie for what it is and donīt compare it to his later work) and the horrors that lurk beneath the calm surface of the town isnīt frightening enough.

"See that clock on the wall? In five minutes you are not going to belive what i just told you."
i like the quote but well, itīs not like it is so unbelievable and exciting as one might expect after that phrase.

the movie caused uproar when it was released, but hey come on! it was 1986, ok if it was the 50s or something but 1986, it canīt have been that terrifying.

there are basically 2 scenes that are really out of the ordinary, but on the other hand these 2 scenes are deeply, deeply disturbing and very hard to watch(i have to admit i couldnīt watch the first of the two).
the first scene is of course when one of the most horrible characters ever to appear in a movie, Frank Booth, plays out his bizarre and abnormal sexual desires on the poor Dorothy Vallens.
the other being when they take jeffrey for a ride and frank starts pinching dorothyīs breast in the car and then beats jeffrey up.

so those scenes were discusting and itīs not the exactly the normal sex shown on TV but itīs not like heīs hailing it(is it?). he tells us of a sick bastard that uses this woman and how she is affected by this and later how jeffreys, who is indeed both a pervet and a detcetive, attracton and pity for her saves her.

iīd understand the uproar if he was bathing in that kind of scenes but it serves a purpose and there isnīt much of it.
i mean, he just says it exists not that it is good.

there wasnīt really anything that was hard to understand and it doesnīt leave me with many questions. or maybe i missed something.

the ending is ok, dorothy seems to be crying sitting on the park bench, out of happiness or maybe everything still isnīt allright?

one question though, what exactly happened to Don and the yellow man/gordon?
who killed them? frank? dorothy? he has blue velvet in his mouth...

if anyone know how i could find the song blue velvet i would greatly appreciate it.

I think "Blue Velvet" by Bobby Vinton acually got to No 2 in the UK charts in the early Nineties. Wouldn`t have a clue where to get a copy though. Why not try looking on a file share site.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally posted by solamim
if anyone know how i could find the song blue velvet i would greatly appreciate it.
I have a copy of it on the album "Movie Killers" which has many songs from popular films including "Little Green Bag" and " Laura's Theme" from reservoir dogs and Twin Peaks respectively .

Failing that get it from kazaa. (with permission from Bobby V of course )

no opinions on my opinions?

any opinions about the movie at all?

A novel adaptation.
So confusing, so hard to read...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I loved Blue Velvet. I do also think its a little over rated, but hey, It was a really good movie. The character Frank Boothe is a good a villian as any has ever been in a movie. It also has some really classic points, including the presence of Frank in almost every scene he's in and the haunting use of the title song Blue Velvet. So...come to think of it,...the movie does deserve all of the praise it gets.

Beale the rippe: "It also has some really classic points, including the presence of Frank in almost every scene he's in and the haunting use of the title song Blue Velvet. So...come to think of it,...the movie does deserve all of the praise it gets."

what do you mean with points? and what do you mean by the precense of frank in every scene heīs in?
and that is enough to make a great movie?

Herodotus: "So confusing, so hard to read... "

what? my review or the movie?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Frank is easily one of the greatest villians in cinema, and yes that makes it great. And by points, I listed some good things about the movie. Even if you thought the movie was un-remarkable, the qualities I listd make it worth seeing, ....wait what am I talking about? Bottem line-Lynch fan or not, like the movie or not, Blue Velvet is a classic.

sure it is just that i donīt understand what you mean by this:

"including the presence of Frank in almost every scene he's in"

(iīm swedish)

you just mean how good a villain he is? no...!?

Originally posted by miniontv

Failing that get it from kazaa.

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Are you lambs really telling me you DON'T KNOW who played Frank?
Good grief!
This is one of the really famous cult movies, guys. Wake up and smell the Ovaltine!
Love and Kisses
Jozie