A charismatic hustler and intense limo driver attempt to solve nasty murders against the backdrop of a chaotic, riot-filled city as an apocalyptic New Year of 2000 approaches.

Ex-cop Lenny Nero is a purveyor of black-market tapes that you can play directly into your cerebral cortex and fully experience moments recorded from other peoples lives--Lenny deals in these tapes--having sex, skiing in the alps, robbing a bank, whatever you desire he can get it for you. But when Lenny comes across a tape with some hardcore nastiness on it, all hell breaks loose and he's in the middle of it.

Holy cow, what a great cast. Ralph Fiennes is Lenny; fast-talking, charismatic--offering up fake Rolexes whenever cornered. Angela Basset, intense and beautiful and cutting some serious muscles yum yum yum. Delicious heavies; Michael Wincott with that gravelly voice of death, Vincent D, Onofrio, and William Fichtner as the evil partner cops (duh, of course!). Nice selection of groovy punk thugs as well. Juliette Lewis shines as the ultimate steamy rock n' roll slut and misplaced object of Lenny's affections.

Tom Sizemore- the only thing to say is, what's not to like? He's cool as a greased cucumber in this movie. (did I just type that?) If you're one of the poor bastards who doesn't know who Tom Sizemore is, watch this movie--then you'll get it. I think Sizemore should be a new verb.

Set in the near future beneath a backdrop of deteriorating cities, martial law, rioting in the streets, hookers mugging Santa Clause right out in the street , and the apocalyptic New Years Eve of 2000 ominously approaching, this plays out something like a Humphrey Bogart movie on acid. The good solid characters keep it on track though.

I know it's 16 years old, but I just saw it again last night, and I swear to god, every time I watch this movie, it gets better. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow and written by James Cameron....they must have been schtupping during the production of this movie, cause it's so damn GOOD!