Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

One more movie and I think I'm done with 2010, but I don't see much coming up for 2011 so I think i'll just cover 1990.

I'm going for 30-40 films from 1990, any suggestions ?

1990 list of ratings

Goodfellas

Miller's Crossing

Hunt for Red October

Dances with Wolves

Presumed Innocent

Le Femme Nikita

A Bullet in the Head

Robocop 2

Boiling Point

Total Recall

Cyrano de Bergerac

Close-Up

Europa Europa

Ju Dou

Die Hard 2 : Die Harder

The Two Jakes

Ghost

Edward Scissorhands

The Grifters

King of New York

Misery

Wild at Heart

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Days of Being Wild

Pump Up The Volume

White Hunter Black Heart

Jacob's Ladder

Vincent and Theo

Arachnophobia

Dick Tracy

Reversal of Fortune

Awakenings

The Nasty Girl

The Godfather Part III

The Last Supper
Empire Records
The King Of New York
Clueless
Scream
The Last Seduction
Croupier
Pleasantville
Leon
Shallow Grave
Freeway
The Best Of The Best
Buffalo '66
The Ice Storm
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
Sense & Sensibility
Boogie Nights
Romper Stomper
Gattaca
Starship Troopers
Point Break
Demolition Man
Little Woman
Romeo + Juliet
L.A. Story
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion
Twister
Cruel Intentions
Under Siege
John Carpenter's Vampires
New Jack City
Everyone Says I Love You
Bullets Over Broadway
Husbands And Wives
Slacker
Before Sunrise
Dazed & Confused
American Beauty
The Blair Witch Project
Dumb & Dumber
The Quick And The Dead
The Straight Story
Man Bites Dog
Mr. Baseball
Airheads
Natural Born Killers
JFK
Hackers
The Last Broadcast
Beavis & Butthead Do America
Bitter Moon
Dream A Little Dream
Bad Girls
The Doors
Unforgiven
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
La Reine Margot
Boys On The Side
Showgirls
The Craft
Speed
Wild Things
Ed Wood
Donnie Brasco
Sleepless In Seattle
Digging To China
The Remains Of The Day
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
In The Line Of Fire
Split Second
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills

That'll do for now.

Robocop 2 1990

From the director who brought us Empire Strikes Back, gives us another brilliant sequel. Oops, never mind. It starts out brilliant, the cops are on strike again so criminals are just doing whatever they want. A ton of hilare pandemonium that Robocop has to stop. Then it goes off the deep end with it's terrible villains, friendly Robocop detour, and a mind numbing amount of ugly "shooting scenes". Scenes where robots are just shooting at each other for 10 hours, doing nothing. Then when Robocop fights the big boss, it looks like two action figures hitting each other.

Darkman, Dances with Wolves, Quigley Down Under, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Total Recall, and Edward Scissorhands would all be great candidates.

Presumed Innocent 1990

Some performances cohere far beyond others, but this picture has well enough tricks up it's sleeve to part itself from a horde of courtroom dramas. Harrison Ford steals the show deftly in his role of prime suspect, who tweens between bad husband, moral prosecutor, and COLD-BLOODED MURDERER ! While unfolding the mystery surrounding the murder, it doesn't go far out of it's way to bash and humiliate our judicial system. As foul as some of these cheap shots are, nothing can prepare you for the head scratching finale.

Dances with Wolves 1990

Kevin Costner plays John Dunbar, a civil war time Lieutenant for the North. Injured and broken, he makes his last contribution to his battle count. Riding out on horseback in front of the Confederate musket line, in slow motion to really make it count. He is unharmed after two point blank passings and is recognized in a small way after the battle is won. His privilege is to pick his next assignment, he chooses a post on the outskirts, in dangerous Indian territory. Arriving, he finds it to be deserted. Dunbar is clearly no stranger to loneliness and his intention is not to abandon this empty post.

He starts work on the camp, cleaning up the remnants of a battle. His only companion his horse and a visiting wolf who remains distant. Not much time passes before he encounters what may have scared off the solders before him, Indians of the Sioux tribe. He is only one man though and the Sioux aren't hasty to kill him after he rescues one of their own. Dunbar shows them tools they have never seen before and coffee. Slowly he becomes one of them and for the first time Dunbar finds companionship.

Costner's obtuse, scientific narration lays thin over his raw character. Learning more all the time about the Sioux culture and their wise restraint decisions, most obviously seen in the way feuds are dealt with in the tribe. Someone gets mad at another and within minutes the argument is settled.

Dances with Wolves is all about trust and finding where you belong. It's about people accepting other cultures and the unaccepting who will soon take all of this land from the natives. It's set pieces are proud and mechanically brilliant, set to a functionally triumphant score by John Barry. One of my early favorites from this year.

A Bullet in the Head 1990

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Here's my top 25 from 1990.

Miller’s Crossing; Vincent & Theo; Trust; Ju Dou; Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead; Goodfellas; Shadow of China; The Reflecting Skin; Bonfire of the Vanities; Metropolitan; A-ge-man; The Grifters; Nikita; Boiling Point; Darkman; Bullet in the Head; Wild at Heart; Akira Kurosawa’s Dreams; Home Alone; Magic Cop; The Swordsman; Mo’ Better Blues; Taxi Blues; Nightbreed; Archangel.

Jacob's Ladder doesn't make my list but if you're trying to be comprehensive you should add that as well.

EDIT: Forgot about Total Recall. I recommend that as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Arachnophobia
Cyrano de Bergerac
Dick Tracy
Reversal of Fortune
Awakenings
The Nasty Girl

I'd add Misery, Delicatessen and The Godfather, Part III to that list.

Delicatessen is on my list for 1991 (French release date according to IMDB, which also has it as a 1992 American release).

I completely forgot about Misery and the third Godfather, as well as several others mentioned recently.

A Bullet in the Head 1990

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.

Nice review Meatface

Le Femme Nikita 1990

Surprisingly quiet from what I've seen of Luc Besson. Nikita is a deranged psycho-job who shoots a cop in the face, then she gets thrown into a program where they turn people who probably should never be exposed to the public, into hitman slaves. Romance and comedy ensue.

Meat's 2010 Slam Dunk Championship Winners !

I just pile drived the last couple 2010 flicks I wanted to see and it's time to get this horrible dog and poney show on the road. Keep in mind everything that wins in these posts, are the official picks of not just me but everyone who has ever lived.

Crapper Worst - Cop Out

This goes for all the movies in this category, but Cop Out excells too much. Horrid, chew off my own head acting. I guess they get credit for saying the right lines ? Which they may have even messed up, it's been awhile since I've seen stiffness like this. All of this is complimented by some of the worst action directing to grace the screen, with production values under that of a soap opera. Kevin Smith admits on film (his 4th Q&A movie), that he was afraid of telling Bruce Willis what to do in the movie, which I buy completely. Everyone involved deserves punishment.

Runner Ups

Biggest Disappointment - Toy Story 3

Not really the sophisticated masterwork I dreamed of. We spend a lot of time learning about new characters, have a horrible half-brain villian like in Toy Story 2, and almost put to waste everything built up in the first two movies. It's filled to the brim with cheesy jokes and all too familiar to it's predecessors. Another escape ? Is that all you do is as a toy is escape bad scenarios ? Pixar's next work will be Cars 2 might I add.

DIE !!!!!!!!!!

Runner Ups

continued on next page ...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It looks like you gave Total Recall a
, which is respectable, but I can't help but give it a full-blown (take that whatever way you want)
. I think it's one of the most entertaining films ever and much better than Commando which most people want to call a camp classic. Of course, I don't think anything in TR is camp. It's too awesome for that!