Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

It's a good western after a long time because we hardly see any westerns these days.. Most of them are either those slick action ones or the b-grade ones.

3:10 To Yuma was a good film, But I still haven't seen the original..

I see that the only westerns you have seen from the list are the Leone's Dollars movies.
You really need not wait for any any westerns to come along.. there's a pot of gold on that list itself. The new True Grit is not even half as good as the 25 movies I have seen from that list..

I'd agree with GP that if you want to see Westerns, then hit the list, because you'll more than likely find the best Westerns ever made there. Personally, I'd recommend Bad Girls, but that's only because Drew Barrymore's in it. Recommending Westerns isn't really my thing.

Absolutely agree with g_p here. It doesn't need to be revived; nor would it even be possible to revive it. Do not forget that all art already exists in a retrospective stance---always as the extant of a long line. All westerns are partially defined by the era in which they were made. Contemporary westerns like the remake of True Grit have a completely different meaning, since they exist in the wake of other westerns. In this sense, other genres can more readily embody the "truth" of a western better than a contemporary western genre could. In this sense, the genre is not necessarily as dead as you think. I would venture to say that its principal elements have been redisseminated into other genres. The space opera, for example, is today more western than the western itself, since it redefines the notion of frontier into something that much more parallels our own.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The King's Speech

I never really thought about seeing this film, but then i decided why not? But i am annoyed that it was shown in America first before being seen in The UK when it is fact...a British Film.

The King's Speech Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stammer and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.

Honestly, this film is pretty wonderful in many ways. I think this film firstly is very rich in how it presents itself. Its a very classy film, yet also very witty too. I love the colour, tone and the importance of the story it presents on screen. Hooper's direction is very well done and the script is presented excellently.

Colin Firth steals the film with his wonderful marvelous performance as King George VI. Firth is an actor who can give a role a proper personality and make it incredibly realistic. Helena Bonhem Carter also gave a charming performance as The Queen Mother. She actually resembled her in a way, but Helena resembles alot of people in a lot of roles, and i also forgot about Bellatrix Lestrange in a minute. But again...i have always forgtton about Bellatrix as Helena is that good. But also i cannot forget Geoffrey Rush as Lionel Logue. Charming Actor with a charming performance which gave the film its wit and strong power that makes films like The King's Speech really be brilliant.

Overall, The King's Speech is a beautiful film with real colour, performance and excitement to see in this film. Do see it and you will see why it is nominated for 14 awards.

Rating - 95% - A

Just started in my town so hope to see it this week

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Black Swan

Just when you think you have seen everything in film. Every single possible thing you can possibly see... Along comes a film that just takes your breath away and gives you a new surreal look that you can do anything in Cinema.

Nina (Portman) is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica (Hershey) who exerts a suffocating control over her. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Kunis), who impresses Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side - a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

Where do i start with Black Swan. Firstly with Natalie Portman. Portman plays a character who is trapped by her mother's constant control over her. She wants to break free in sorts and take control of her own life and go out and explore the world, but her mother's constant control and neediness over her traps her in this little bubble. The Mother cannot accept her daughter is grown up and ready to leave the world. Portman's performance really is the best of her career and makes the film more about her than the other people.

Darren A's direction is spellbinding. We have so many good talent in the industry that are finally getting the exposure which is nessecary. And Darren is one to look out for. After seeing Black Swan, i am tempted to dig out his early work and see if Black Swan was better than his earlier stuff. But either, its a phenomenal directed piece of a film.

Also The Music. The Music really gives you that ballet feel which few films do. Its Swan Lake and is used in the film in the right times to give that feel you are watching ballet. By The End of the film, it got slightly overwelming, but i think that is how it was intended to be. Overwelming and psychologically damaging.

Overall, Black Swan is a film i have never seen before. Romantic, Sinister, Brooding and Brilliant. See It Before It Flies Away.

Rating - 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Adventureland

A Film which is trying to be both comedy & drama at the same time whilst trying to also decide whether its an indie or hollywood. This is Adventureland.

In 1987, James Brennan's dreams of a summer European tour before studying at an Ivy League school in New York City are ruined after his parents have a severe career setback. As a result, James must get a summer job to cover his upcoming expenses at the decrepit local amusement park, Adventureland, where he falls in love with a witty co-worker, Emily Lewin. In that bizarrely shady workplace, the young carnies have unforgettable and painful learning experiences about life, love and trust while James discovers what he truly values.

This film is good, but not great. Jesse Eisenberg & Kristen Stewart both have acceptable chemistry and work well together. A lot people say Kristen Stewart can't act and i can see why with films like Twilight. You could say the same here, but never the less i do like Kristen Stewart. She however brings a believeable character to life on screen. Also in this film is Ryan Reynolds who plays a supporting role but is equally good in the film.

This Film's supporting cast is good and promises some rising talent for the future of the industry, but no talent life changing. The Plot is good but not fantastic. It all comes together as an Indie Film, but i wasn't sure whether it was meant to be because of 3 Big Stars in the film. I also didn't know what genre it was. Was It A Comedy or A Drama ? It was hard because one minute it was something different.

Overall, its a good film but not a major big deal to see. Its enjoyable, friendly and overall a good relaxing time.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Let The Right One In

This film itself is proof that not all vampire films have to be about pretty boys who declare shakespeare like love to not that good looking girls to make an entertaining. Forget about Twilight, This is the real deal of Vampire Films.

Oskar, a bullied 12-year old, dreams of revenge. He falls in love with Eli, a peculiar girl. She can't stand the sun or food and to come into a room she needs to be invited. Eli gives Oskar the strength to hit back but when he realizes that Eli needs to drink other people's blood to live he's faced with a choice. How much can love forgive? Set in the Stockholm suburb of Blackeberg in 1982.

To me, This film is a whole new experience in Foriegn Films. This film is jaw dropping and so cold in tone. The two main characters feel different and manage to build a friendship throughout the film that you instantly buy in. The two young leads are excellent in their roles and prove that talent lies beyond the hollywood realm.

The Story keeps you interested and glued to the screen throughout the film. Its interesting because you have so little to start off with, yet at the end you have absorbed so much. The Directing is also brilliant. The Tone of the film is so real that this could actually happen anywhere. I love the lighting and the sound in the film which also gives it that real tone. The Blood in the film also seems real as well as the characters in the story.

Overall, this film is a must see. Its a film worth experiencing in any possible level. I highly recommend to all film fans.

Rating - 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...American Teen

I continue to dive myself into more Documentries in a bid to explore different genres of films i wouldn't touch when i was younger. Ever Since seeing The Kid Stays In The Picture, i have fallen in love with its genre and how it represents itself in film. I wish there would be a bigger audience and more cinemas dedicated to showing documentries, but movign aside from that, i now review American Teen which is a documentary on seniors at a high school in a small Indiana town and their various cliques.

It doesn't sound like much, but what it is to me is interesting. But it doesn't come with its share of problems. Firstly, its all too similar with tv shows like The Hills and Jersey Shore in which what you see isn't real and more staged and more dramatised. I do admit that parts of it are dramatised, but it didn't bring down my enjoyment for the documentry. I do think the people are real and what you are seeing is real. I think its interesting and shows a full year of a high school and the various different groups that students fit into when they embark on high school. Not all the characters are likeable. I found the geek character to be incredibly lazy and full of himself. At one point he says "I'm too ugly for a girlfriend, i'll die alone" blah blah blah where as in the documentry, he dates 3 girls and all 3 dump him because he does not put the effort in to care about these people. Then there is the rebal who is dumped by her boyfriend and takes 17 days off school for no reason other than "She can't face everyone" which is clearly selfish and a bit bitchy.

Despite the problems, I overall thought American Teen to be an entertaining DocuDrama (I'll call it that) that chronicles life in high school as well as teenage emotion...even if it is slightly staged. Check it out.

Rating - 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Schindler's List

Being one of the most acclaimed and emotional films ever made, i had really high expectations when beginning to watch the film. Spielberg is a director who has changed film as well as influenced many of today's directors in various different genres. In 1993, Spielberg was given 2 films to prove to himself and to the world that he was a director to go down in history. Jurassic Park and Schindlers List.

Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp. A testament for the good in all of us.

First of all, Spielberg's decision to shoot in black & white quite possibly was one of few reasons why this film worked. Spielberg said in a interview that he didn't want The Holocaust to be glamorous or colourful when making the film and i think i know what he means. The Holocaust was never a happy or a colourful event. It was a horrible sick event in history based on one man's opinion on a religion and how the world should work. Shooting it in Black & White was a way of showing what The Holocaust was like for people who weren't there.

The Performances are perfect. Ben Kingsley & Ralph Feinnes are unbelieveable and are just a joy to watch on screen. But the money is Liam Neeson. Honestly this is Neeson's finest performance of his career and i don't ever think he will top it. Neeson is an actor who perfectly fits his characters and steals almost every performance in his films (Star Wars included). Neeson is a joy to watch in any film.

I also briefly must talk about The Red Girl in the film. Its Important because in a way, it shows when Schindler changes and in a way also states that there is colour and hope for the jewish people that the suffering will end and it is in the form of the little girl.

While Schindlers List has had its universal acclaim, it is not without its criticism. Terry Gilliam lashed out on Schindlers List and Said it was a film about success where as The Holocaust was about failure. Every person has a right to critisize a film, but this film in my eyes was to show that there was some good in The Holocaust. That despite 6 Million Innocent people losing their lives, there was stories to tell that were about people seeing what Hitler for who he really was and people standing up and saying "This is too far". And its important for people to tell these stories in schools and pass it on to future generations to show that what happened to those people is something that should never happen again.

However i do have my merits. I felt that Spielberg could have gone a step darker with this film. I don't think The Holocaust was potrayed as evil, horrible and nasty as it was. I wanted Spielberg to potray nastier images and acts on screen, but the furthest we got in my eyes was the shower scene with the woman and also the scene with the red coat girl. Its the second time we see her not the first time. Spielberg is a talented man, but could have been alot darker if he dared take that futher step.

Schindler's List should be seen by everyone, just so they understand how much The Holocaust was horrible and should never occur in our world again. Spielberg has raised an issue that can be rarely be done right again. Through camera shots, acting, music and many more Schindlers List is a film not to be missed.

Rating - 100% - A+

i think going darker with that movie mate would have upsetted alot of people, i think the way he went about was just about enough. good review aswel.

thanks for your comments. Its still a fantastic film, but if Spielberg went that last step, it would be a masterpiece bigger than films above Schindlers List.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Bride Of The Monster

The First Ed Wood film i have reviewed (Discounting the 1994 biopic) and boy this will be a treat to review.

The Plot is basically Dr. Varnoff captures twelve men for his experiment: to turn them into supermen using atomic energy. Newspaperwoman Lawton gets too snoopy for her own good. Doesn't get more basic and chessy than that.

Where do i start ? Its clear that as we look bad at Ed Wood's movies now we laugh and make fun of them, but imagine watching this in 1955 and paying quite a lot of money just to see a lot of crap. The Plot is fun and very cliche with standard classic horror techniques (Lighting,Mad Scientists) , but the acting is quite bad for the most part. For it being an Ed Wood Film, what do you expect. There aren't as many infamous bloopers in the film, but the stale performances you might as well call a blooper just as how bad they are.

I wonder if anyone has thought of remaking these films. Maybe Ed Wood can finally see his masterpieces, only it won't be him making them. Overall, its fun if you like these type of bad movies, but if not you will gt bored pretty soon.

Rating - 22% - C-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Boogie Woogie

I bought this just for Amanda Seyfried...and boy do i regret it. Boogie Woogie is A comedy of manners set against the backdrop of contemporary London and the international art scene. But believe me, its just as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Where do i start ? Some of the stories in the film are dull and uninteresting making the acting in the film quite poor and again uninteresting. Its as if you are forced to analyse a painting. Its no fun. Christopher Lee gives possibly one of his worst performances in his career, Gillian Anderson attempts a poor english accent, Amanda Seyfried is there for the males (And yet barely does anything) and you have Alan Cumming give the only good performance of the film.

Not much to say other than its avoidable and a waste of money. Skip and if you wanna see Amanda Seyfried naked...see Chloe!

Rating - 32% - C

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

It would be a cinematic crime if you haven't seen this film. The Following reviews are centered around the previous decades biggest masterpieces in modern day cinema. This trilogy alone is changed fantasy cinema forever and brought to life a series of novels well established and beloved for many years. This is the first of my Lord Of The Rings 3 Parter.

An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

There are many things i want to start off with, but i will start with characters. We are introduced to The Fellowship and their traits. Frodo is the reluctant hero who has to bear an unbearable task, but if acheived will restore peace to Middle Earth. Frodo is aided by Sam his loyal companion. Sam is always trying to protect Frodo from danger and even putting his life at risk for the sake of protecting Frodo. His courage grows as he and Frodo take on their quest as well as developing their own friendship. Merry & Pipin play as the comic reliefs in the first half of the film, but come the uniting of the fellowship, they mature slightly, but not massively. Then there is Gandalf The Grey. Gandalf is a great character who has to take upon leadership and take the role as a mentor to Frodo when he discovers he now possesses the one ring. Aragon or Strider is a mysterious figure who quickly earns Frodo's trust and becomes an important character in the story. Legolas, Gimli & Boromir are played under, but in the second act Boromir gets a more star billing as his character develops into a more twisted persona.

The Story is played out really well and you get a clear cut idea of the characters both good and evil. The Cinematography and costume design on this film is so well done. I was absorbed into Middle Earth so quickly and without issue that i thought what i was watching was real. The Orcs were sinister creatures and the Hobbits were shot well. I also must talk music. This is Howard Shore's masterpiece and undoubtly one of the best scores of all time. It fits the film like a glove and continues to absorb you into this mysterious world of Middle Earth.

Overall, A Masterpiece without a doubt. Lord Of The Rings got off to an acclaimed start winning 5 Oscars and many other awards. This is a film worth your time.

Rating - 100% - A+