I am Legend....

→ in
Tools    

I am legend...I wanted to load an image of that whole abandoned Manhatton scene...with cars and vegitation growing everywhere, cars rusting...long shadows being cast by the buildings...and ever so silent...just the sound of the wind lightly howling as it hit's the buildings and other objects...

A very still uncertain silence...hearing crickets in the middle of the city during the day...sounds you would normally hear in the country, insects humming, in the abandoned streets of Manhatten....

And this is the setting that the movie takes place in...
I own the DVD...and watch it a lot...not so much for the character roles, but rather at my amazement of the abandoned urban landscape.

It's like a quiet urban beauty...a nightmarish dream, with the capacity of both beauty and horror to be lurking around each and every corner...
If it were just one man, and his dog, maybe such a existance wouldn't be so bad...

But as night approaches, and the shadows grow longer...you sense all is not ok...

This movie is metephorical to me in many ways...layered...that's why I'm able to watch it over and over...certain scenes...

Well that's all for now...I will further chronicle my ideas and thoughts about this movie here on this thread...

I tried to search for 'I am Legend' here on the forums...but It did not come up anywhere...I was kinda suprised this movie has never been discussed on here...

I know there's a few camps on this movie though...many prefer the 'classics' like Omega man, and there was another one two, with Vincent Price...
Me, I like them all, and feel each captures the essence of the era they were created in...
Anyhow that's enough for my first entry on this movie...

I did really like the movie, at first, then I watched it about 12 times not cause I wanted to or liked I just always seemed to be in situations either with friends or family where people hadn't seen it and really wanted to see it so I went with the group and watched it, although right now i havent seen it in about 6 months

BTW I just found out that the main way they created the scene was taking black cardboard and covering it with long grass and putting it EVERYWHERE which seems nice and not expensive

We have a pretty excellent thread right here on I Am Legend. If'n you want to jump in.

I am legend is a very predictable story of what happens when an engineered cure for cancer turns malign. The resulting virus, which mostly resembles rabies, kills most of the population worldwide, except for some 500 million that turn into... of course, a sort of werewolves that feed on the remaining million that are immune. This in itself is a very worn out and unrealistic theme by now and the werewolf angle only makes it more silly.

This movie had potential to be great, but it did not reach it, and thus left me pretty disappointed and unhappy with the movie itself.

This was one I didn't think was going to be that great but turned out to be a pretty decent flick.

Semper Fooey
In the original novel and Price version they were vampires.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
This movie had potential to be great, but it did not reach it, and thus left me pretty disappointed and unhappy with the movie itself.
I totally agree with THEproductions. There were so many ways that the movie could've been improved. I heard that the book ends the story in a much better way, but as always the book is better than the movie.

that's what she said...
I thought the movie was really good. It has a lot of great scenes and the emotion in it so powerful and no matter how many times I watch it, I still feel it.

Its an OK movie but the original movie 'The Omega Man' with Charlton Heston is much much better. But that's just my oppinion.

Will Smith's diverse acting ability really made this film enjoyable for me. If it would have been anyone else in the role I would not have enjoyed it as much. A lot of fun, but not an original concept in the "Vampire Theme", I keep waiting for something “special” in the Vampire realm.

Will Smith just tried to make up for his decision not to play Neo in The Matrix because he didn't understand the script. And this script was stupid also

It was well-acted but the infected looked kind of lame, plus the movie gradually fell apart after an absorbing first half. The city was really well done, memorably ravaged and desolate.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
It hasn't been out for very long, but it's aged. Some of the special effects look pretty dodgy. I enjoy the movie though, it found a unique way to entertain.

It's unique in a way. I liked it

Hard to think of others movies I've seen like it.

I for one loved this movie. I thought that the creatures were disappointing and I wish they had left in the alternate ending instead of the one that they used. I think Will Smith can make just about any movie better.