Previous Gross
TRON
Budget - $17,000,000
Gross - $33,000,000

Prediction Gross
TRON : Legacy
Budget - $200,000,000
Gross - $789,250,000

The Budget is right if you are wondering.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I am more interested to know about the video sales of the original movie since the trailer of Legacy has been out.
Well, the DVD of the original is stupidly out of print till 2011. Way to go, Disney!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm gonna watch TRON either tomorrow night, or Tuesday. Going to check out a midnight screening on Thursday, cause I'm crazy like that.

As for gross... It's really hard to peg this. The negative reviews on this, will probably hurt it, but definitely won't do too much damage to lessen it's haul. I would say that it's opening weekend will be something to the tune of $50-60 million. Overall gross, will probably be around $200 million.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think Spud's probably dead-on with the opening weekend. I'll lean more towards $60 million than $50 million, but I'd say somewhere around there.

As for total gross: internationally, I have no idea. Very hard to tell how certain franchises will fare overseas. Domestically, I think it'll have pretty bad legs, and probably top out around $160-170 million.

Well, the DVD of the original is stupidly out of print till 2011. Way to go, Disney!
Is this true? I rented the original on Netflix a number of months ago, sometime after the first teaser came out.

Makes sense. If anything is going to put off a new generation about this over-hyped, unneeded sequel, then it's seeing the original.

I hate to do agree with HK, but his statement does make sense.....

Though I feel TRON still manages to look fabulous till to this day, it goes well with videogames of that era.

But I wouldn't call the sequel unneeded, Tron needed to be brought back to life..
When it first came out, few people called it ahead of it's time.. I'd like to see what can be done with all the the advancement we have now.

I believe the videogame TRON 2.0 that came out few years ago did quite well... So most of the youngsters are already familiar with the universe it's based on..

Whether they have seen the original movie or not, I am still curious to know..

Is this true? I rented the original on Netflix a number of months ago, sometime after the first teaser came out.
I bought the two-disc collector's edition WAAAAAAAAAAY back when, 2000-ish. It's always a good rule of thumb to buy the Disney movies you want (or think you'll want to watch again) when they are released. Otherwise, you have to put up with that "wait for it to come out of the vault" nonsense.

I was actually surprised to find a copy of Flight of the Navigator in Walmart for $7, a few months back.

Back to the total gross...

Take a look at Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's weekend haul was terrible (state-side). Overseas, however, it was something like $81 million. Tron: Legacy could easily make $100 million, overseas alone, this weekend. However, that might be a stretch.

Tron: Legacy 'causes the human mind to enter a state of WTFOMGAWESOME. That is why it will make quarry-loads of cha-ching. Also, the Daft Punk soundtrack has already won over the I-don't-care-about-movies hipster crowd.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I think Spud's probably dead-on with the opening weekend. I'll lean more towards $60 million than $50 million, but I'd say somewhere around there.

As for total gross: internationally, I have no idea. Very hard to tell how certain franchises will fare overseas. Domestically, I think it'll have pretty bad legs, and probably top out around $160-170 million.

Yeas, It may be for rental, but I asked at several stores and on Amazon.com and they have no copies in stock, and they won't untill the new year.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Opening = 65 mill - 70 mill

Total - 250 million.

Suspect's Reviews

Tron: Legacy 'causes the human mind to enter a state of WTFOMGAWESOME.
Don't you mean WTFOMGAWESOME-NESS? I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV.

Maybe they don't want people to know it's crazy boring now, because it would dampen enthusiasm for the new one. Still, they're probably losing some money, because I'm sure a lot of people wanted to rent or buy it when they started seeing trailers for the sequel.

Maybe they don't want people to know it's crazy boring now
I grew up exclusively in the age of Star Wars redux and James Cameron, and I still loved the original, if not solely for its totally off-beat look and feel, which the new one has totally failed to capture despite replicating designs and such.

The original Tron was about the arcade games of that era... Gaming has changed a lot since then.

Planet, you're an exception. Not all people who grew up with Star Wars redux & James Cameron appreciate Kubrick & Kurosawa..

It is, but it also makes sense. Sure, people who are interested enough (and aren't familiar with the original) will do their homework. Does Tron: Legacy require that you watch the original, in order to be caught up? Probably not, but I don't think people would have been too swayed either way, had they seen the original.

Let's face it, 28 years have passed since TRON first hit the scene. A lot of advances have occured in the CG field since then (some of which were from that movie, alone). Had Disney not pulled TRON from shelves, I don't think anyone would have cared.