The Professional

Tools    

What do you guys think of this movie?

Personally it's one I enjoy a lot. I throw it on a few times a year. It came out in 1994 and was written and directed by Luc Besson. It has a cult-like following.

It stars Jean Reno as a hitman who ends up taking in and protecting a very young Natalie Portman whose family was slaughtered by a corrupted and psychotic police detective played by Gary Oldman.

If you've never seen it I highly recommend watching it. I think you'll be pleased.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Gunny why do u always follow "if you've never seen it" with plot points of the movie?

Gunny why do u always follow "if you've never seen it" with plot points of the movie?

Same reason you left the keys up on the table.

I really like this movie also. Should watch it again soon.

Same reason you left the keys up on the table.

In response to your comment Dex:

"You wanted to,
Grab a brush and put a little makeup,
You wanted to,
Hide the scars to fade away the shakeup,
You wanted to,
Why'd you leave the keys upon the table,
You wanted to, "

Ok yeah - sorry, but you asked

Absolutely love Léon: The Professional ... Reno, Portman, and Oldman all delivered... as did the story... which was so original... it's in my top ten and I've probably seen it 100 times...

Léon, what exactly do you do for a living?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I didn't really like the movie on first couple of viewings. I watched it years ago, and then again recently.

One of the main problems with the movie, is that I feel that a lot of the awkward scenes with Natalie Portman, which are intended to be cute and funny... (I think they are intended to be cute and funny)... just end up really awkward and end up falling flat on their faces.

SPOILERS

When she does the happy birthday Mr. President thing, I was just raising my eyebrows and just thought it was just embarrassing. The scene the pig puppet made me feel that way as well and was just really corny.

The part when Matilda (Portman), tells the person running the hotel, that Leon is his lover, and then we hear thunder strike on the soundtrack, really made me laugh at the movie, rather than with it. Was I suppose to laughing at this scene? If I was then I felt it was at it rather than with it though. I was thinking you've got to be kidding me.

Gary Oldman who I love in other movies, was terrible in this movie, but it's not his fault, and I feel it was the director's fault.

He goes way too over the top, which is fine if he was playing a serial killer who has not been caught or something like that, but this character is suppose to be a top DEA agent with a lot of commanding authority, yet all the other police think he's a normal guy and will do anything he asks, without question; including, launching rockets towards a hotel, not knowing anything about the situation.... no questions asked.

Oldman also manages to have his agents massacre a whole family, and then fires a shot out of anger in the direction of a witness, to get the witness to scram, and he isn't even taken off the case, or temporarily suspended or investigated or anything.

It just got way too ridiculous for what is suppose to be a serious gritty crime thriller about a girl learning to become an assassin. Now I know a movie is not suppose to be realistic, but it shouldn't cause me the viewer, to be rolling my eyes thinking you've got to be kidding me either.

This might just do nobody any good.
(I think they are intended to be cute and funny)
If you’re Luc Besson...