Television Tab

Tools    

This is what's really worrying me about comedy on the BBC.

New BBC curbs on comedy
Comedy is to come under even tighter scrutiny at the BBC as new guidelines banning ‘derogatory remarks’ come into force.

New restrictions compiled in the wake of the media furore over Sachsgate and Frankie Boyle’s jokes about swimmer Rebecca Adlington are to be introduced next week

The clause most likely to cause headaches for comedians is number 5.4.32, which stages: ‘Unduly derogatory remarks aimed at real people (as opposed to fictional characters or historic figures) must not be celebrated for the purposes of entertainment.

‘Care should be taken that such comments and the tone in which they are delivered are proportionate to their target.’

The guidelines, published today, also urge caution when using stereotypes for comedy, saying: ‘We may feature a portrayal or stereotype that has been exaggerated for comic effect, but we must be aware that audiences may find casual or purposeless stereotypes to be offensive.’

David Jordan, the director of BBC editorial policy and standards insisted: ‘These guidelines can ensure that we continue delivering edgy comedy.’

But he added that any jokes must be ‘consistent with the BBC's enduring editorial values’.

The guidelines are reviewed every five years, but for the first time the BBC Trust asked licence fee payers for their views. It received more than 1,600 responses.

The restrictions on ‘unduly humiliating remarks’ would almost certainly have curbed the 2008 edition of Mock The Week in which Frankie Boyle made comments about Rebecca Adlington's appearance, which was subsequently censured by the BBC Trust.

The new rules take effect from midnight on Monday.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/1...urbs_on_comedy

I quite like McIntyre, Bishop, Manford and a few other comedians that get a lot of stick, but who wants just those guys around? Can you imagine Have I Got News For You or Buzzcocks like that?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
BBC annoys the hell out of me it really does.

I have been enjoying An Idiot Abroad,

An Idiot Abroad charts Pilkington's reaction when visiting the New Seven Wonders of the World as well as to the situations he's placed in, the country's cultural habits and idiosyncrasies. It was stated by the shows producers that Pilkington has no prior warning about these situations.[3] Gervais commented: "This is a (more real) documentary than most others you'll ever see on television. We don't plan it, he doesn't know what's going to happen.[3]
The ongoing theme of both the television series and the book is that Karl Pilkington indicates he has no interest in global travel and so Merchant and Gervais make him travel, for the purposes of the documentary, while they themselves stay in London and monitor his progress.
Even though im not the biggest Ricky Gervais (he isnt init much tbh) fan this is a cracking watch. Im looking forward to this being released on dvd because some of the things that Carl has said and done have been priceless IMO.

Another show that has caught my eye recently is, The Middle. First of all when I saw it advertised I instantly thought its a rip on Malcom in the Middle, the names even the same (pretty much) but even though the show itself has allot of similarities it is very funny and im enjoying it very much. The one charactor that has me in stitches allot is Sue.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Can you imagine Have I Got News For You or Buzzcocks like that?
I've not watched either in years, to be honest. I'm allergic to Simon Amstel (who I know is R.I.P now) and never liked Jupitus so Buzzcocks went out the window.

The only panel show I watch now is QI, which is quite a feat considering that Alan 'repeat what someone else has just said only not as wittily' Davies gets on my wick.

Just finished the first three episodes of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and interesting new anime series from the greatest studio of all time GAINAX. The animation style is very noteworthy, bearing a high resemblance to the angular, highly stylized work of Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack), especially in relation to his Powerpuff Girls, which also shares a similar concept with this series. There are, however, a few brief sequences featuring the more traditional Japanese style---they are quite stunning and work fantastically in contrast with the principal style.

All in all, it's an escapist blast, and'll be sure to cheer you up. The pace is very, very fast and actually manages to fit two stories into a single 20 minute episode. If you want an adult-oriented version of Powerpuff Girls while still keeping all the things that made Powerpuff Girls fun, this would be the show for you.

There is also a character that is clearly based off of GIR from Invader Zim!

Put me in your pocket...
Another show that has caught my eye recently is, The Middle. First of all when I saw it advertised I instantly thought its a rip on Malcom in the Middle, the names even the same (pretty much) but even though the show itself has allot of similarities it is very funny and im enjoying it very much. The one charactor that has me in stitches allot is Sue.
We've been enjoying The Middle also. I've never seen Malcom in the Middle, so I can't compare them, but both Brick and Sue tickle me. I also get a kick of seeing Patrica Heaton play a completely different type of mom than her turn on Everybody Loves Raymond. It's a good cast and I think they mesh well together.

Together with Modern Family, Wednesday nights are now family TV night. My husband and son usually don't watch TV, but both like and laugh at The Middle and Modern Family.

I liked Malcolm In The Middle, but I wasn't a fan and I've probably only seen 8-10 episodes. I've not bothered with The Middle, but hearing that Patricia Heaton's in it is enough to, at least, give the next episode a look.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have been watching Downton Abbey, usually the day after so I can fast forward through the frequent adverts. It's not bad. Written by Gosford Park writer Julian Fellowes, and rather similar in many ways, following the lives of people living in a country house, above and below stairs. It even has Maggie Smith in it. No murder so far, though...

Also Party Animals which a friend lent us on dvd. It's a bit like This Life in politics. Matt Smith (aka Doctor Who) is good but too soon to tell if I really like it.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
My sister's had almost complete control over the tv lately, and so I've seen a lot of NCIS. I don't care much for the first two seasons, but the characters really remind me of me and my crew.

Also:

Nikita

I know where it came from: the movie, the old show. I've really been enjoying it though. This is my first experience with watching one single episode of a television once a week, same day same time. The first couple episodes were quite redundant in format, but they mixed it up just in time last week. More twists are supposedly coming up soon, and I'm really excited for Thursday's episode.

I'd recommend this highly for fans of girl power. While the dialouge isn't much to brag about, the cast was very well done. There's plenty of action and intrigue for just one hour. So, if anyone's been on the fence about trying this one, I'd definately say give it a shot.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I love Mad Men and now it's over.

Sob! Cry! Sniffle....

Will have to go out and buy all the DVDs.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Caught an Episode of Call me Fitz last night. Brandon Walsh has done grown up.

The episode was a little uneven, but has its moments.

(warning salty language)

Abigail's Party, BBC Four, 10.30pm, Sunday

The word 'classic' is bandied around far too much but this is a classic. One of The General's best.

There's a good Timewatch on Saturday, 8:30pm on BBC2, about the last day of WWI. If you're interested in the First World War, there's also a documentary on BBC1 at 9pm on Sunday, called The First World War From Above.

For those that can get the Discovery Channel, make an effort to see this later today (wednesday)

http://library.digiguide.com/lib/pro...calypse-632311

Genuinely terrorfying when you see how close we came to not being here today. Brilliant documentary, though. I really enjoyed it last time it was on. Not sure if it's available online, but you can probably get it somewhere, if you miss it or can't receive it.

The current-running TV shows I watch are...

House
Criminal Minds
Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations
Pawn Stars
Family Guy
Two and a Half Men

I hadn't realised that Danny Baker has cancer.

There ain't a Radio Tab so I'm putting this in here, purely for Pets Win Prizes. Nah, not really.

The man is as close to a genius as there is on radio and was a damn fine music journalist in his day - The urban myth that he killed Bob Marley is a great one: He injured Marley in an impromptu football match and the story sprang up that because Bob had refused medical treatment due to his religious beliefs, the wound got infected and killed him. Nonsense, but, like so many of DB's, a great story.

Chin up, Dan.

The current-running TV shows I watch are...

House
Criminal Minds
Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations
Pawn Stars
Family Guy
Two and a Half Men
I love me some No Reservations.

Right now I am currently watching

The Walking Dead
It's Always Sunny
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
Bored to Death
Eastbound and Down
The Office

I am waiting for Justified to begin season 2, I can't wait for that.

Wow, I watch too much TV

Believe me, Fiscal, that's not even close to too much tv. You should see the amount I watch.

I love Danny Baker. He's brilliant at what he does. His Saturday radio show with Danny Kelly back in the late 90's was as good a football show as I've ever heard and believe has existed. Actually, it's probably the best radio show I've ever heard full stop. I heard last week that he's been diagnosed with cancer and I hope that he beats it and is back where he belongs as quickly as possible.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Hey, just a shout-out for those of you that enjoy Antiques Roadshow, there is a new show on History Channel called American Pickers that is worth a watch.

Its about a couple of guys from Iowa whose business involves cruiseing around the USA "picking" through barns and basements for collectibles.

Good stuff, informative and reccomended.