Review of 'The Blair Witch Project'

→ in
Tools    

Review of The Blair Witch Project

Like many, at the time of watching the movie first time, I kept on wondering if it's a film or a documentary. No background music, no histrionics and no drama. Only an array of amateur footage, pieced together to give the feel of a movie. Three youngsters Heather, Mike and Josh went to Burkittsville, Maryland for making a documentary on the storied 'Blair Witch'. After a year their hand-held video cameras were the only things to be found.

Reviewing a movie like 'The Blair Witch Project' is quite difficult. At least I find it so. One reason is, the idea and approach behind this film are so unique that our known tool-kits to judge a movie are hard to apply. I can't make a comment on how the actors performed, as apart from the three leads, all are interviewees and the three main actors made cameo appearances.

So let's face it, it's the tentativeness of director Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez (both were underrated filmmakers), which resulted in such a bizarre and yet scary-to-the-core film. Wholehearted thanks to the actors as well, as not even for a second, their expressions part away from realism. If I was lost in the wood instead of them, I would behaved in the same way. I would have yelled 'it's not the same log...it's not the same log' only to console my feared psyche and after a pause 'it's the same log', Ohhh!!! Spine thrilling.

Sometimes, the concepts with which we are familiar, need to be redefined. Such a redefinition came from 'The Blair Witch Project' and the concept was 'Horror Movies'.

Great film! Excellent screenplay, direction and climax.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Good review, average film

Reviewing a movie like 'The Blair Witch Project' is quite difficult. At least I find it so. One reason is, the idea and approach behind this film are so unique that our known tool-kits to judge a movie are hard to apply. I can't make a comment on how the actors performed, as apart from the three leads, all are interviewees and the three main actors made cameo appearances.
Whilst I understand and agree with your main point, may I point you in the direction of this film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/
Cannibal Holocaust

... which did the same thing 20 years earlier.

Maybe there was something in the air, though, as there's also this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122143/
The Last Broadcast

... Which I know quite a few people prefer to BW.

Semper Fooey
Not bad for what it is, but it was like lightening in a bottle. It came out just at the right moment for it to be effectively marketed on the internet. The filmmakers have done nothing of consequence since. If you saw ilt like I did long after the hoopla was over, it isn't that big a deal.

I personally didnīt like it either

Just another reviewer
I thought it was a decent film. I would hear from people they hate it because they didn't show the witch. But I thought it was better that way since it would destroy of what you imangend the monster truly was. Like what they did in Nightmare on Elm street. The first one. For what it was if they have shown the witch it would have been worse off.

I think it was an inspiration to new movies like Paranormal Activity. A low buget film can make succes if structured right.

I was younger when I watched it so it did its part for scaring the **** out of me. But now just bluh.