The Town

Tools    

Hey Folks! I'm wondering what people are thinking of Ben Affleck's "The Town" debuting this Friday. I'm excited to see Jeremy Renner in a new role, even if it's a side character. So what's up?

-A little bit about me: I'm a college student exploring social media. I have an affinity for film and pride myself on the amount of knowledge I have in comparison to other young adults-

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think it truly has potential. Affleck showed me a lot with Gone Baby Gone, so I really wouldn't doubt if this is a fairly decent watch. It looks entertaining to me.

I'm hyped for this. I haven't heard much negative press either. Let's hope that Affeck starts really churning out decent product. I thought he was waking up when he got smoked in SMOKIN' ACES. That was when I realized that the guy doesn't take himself too seriously.

I have HIGH HOPES FOR THIS ONE!

Semper Fooey

-A little bit about me: I'm a college student exploring social media. I have an affinity for film and pride myself on the amount of knowledge I have in comparison to other young adults-
Does this mean you have seen a movie more than ten years old?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The book upon which it is based was terrific. My only trepidation is the trailers make it look like a slam-bang actiony heist movie, and it isnt.

think the underbelly of gone baby gone blended with out of sight (elmore leonard).

Hi, I'd just like to say this is my first post here on Movie Forums.

Now on topic: The trailer looks really epic but it does look very similar to 'Heat'. But it should be a very convincingly good since Ben Affleck did 'Gone Baby Gone'.

Jack Torrance - The Shining

The book upon which it is based was terrific. My only trepidation is the trailers make it look like a slam-bang actiony heist movie, and it isnt.

think the underbelly of gone baby gone blended with out of sight (elmore leonard).
Just saw this tonight, it definitely isn't an action filled heist flick, although when there is action it was done really well. I'll write more about it later, but overall it was great performances and a very smart film.

Very interested to watch this, thought the trailer really made it look exciting. This it's out here on the 25th.

Does this mean you have seen a movie more than ten years old?
If you're asking me if I watch old movies, yes, I do. My handle is obviously made in reference to a film that is almost twice as old as me.

But I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (the internet is great for that), so I guess I'll go into a little bit more detail.

I personally like to analyze movies and try to extrapolate what they mean and what they reflect in the culture around myself. That means that I like to take one of my favorite films, i.e. Apocalypse Now, and hypothesize about its integral meanings. Is it really about Vietnam? Maybe, maybe not, but it in the very least it's about eugenics and post-colonialism, as it's based around "A Heart of Darkness." Also, it references the first American epic, The Birth of a Nation. I could go into my philosophical reasonings behind all of this and continue to list, but I think I've made my point.

So when I say that I think I analyze and appreciate films more than the average, collegiate moviegoer, that's what I mean.

Also, I saw The Town, and it was excellent. I think I was a little bit more hyped than I should have been.

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post links, but the USA Today had a lengthy article on Affleck's directing style and new career path. It seems that he's ready to move in a great direction. Look it up.

I'm wondering if Affleck really could make new success for himself. Does anyone think he could be a hallmark in the next decade after this film? I'm not a big fan of USA Today, but they seem to think so. Thoughts?

Well, I think The Town just proves that Gone Baby Gone wasn't great just by chance. Ben Affleck can make damn good film, so yeah I think he should keep it up. Casey is just as talented (more talented than Ben as an actor IMO), the two brothers as a team = gold.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
The thing with affleck that bodes well for his directing career going forward imo is the source material he is choosing to adapt to the big screen.

So far so good.

i wouldnt be shocked at all if Ben secures the rights to

The movie is very well done. Everything Ben Affleck does is top notch. I think you and your friend will enjoy it. As you watch the movie, remember that the entire town is crooked. z

I saw the movie The Town when it first came out back in mid-September of this year. The movie had potential, but it was very overdone in some areas, with too much exploding on the screen, and things happening that weren't credible, such as the big shoot-out in Fenway Park. I recently read Chuck Hogan's book, Prince of Thieves, on which the movie The Town was based, and liked the book considerably better.

i'm gonna have to say, based on the two films Ben Affleck directed, he is a good one. I hope he keeps it up. I heard that Superman was offered to him but he said no because he wasn't ready yet. if it's true, he is pretty smart. not the kind that will jump on to opportunities without being sure if he can do it well.

i'm excited to see his next one