Television Tab

Tools    

Unregistered Illegal User
ech. Much as I like the programme I'm not a fangirl type. Besides I hate blogs (no offence to anyone who's got one)
I have an awesome blog thank you very much !

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

I pretty much agree with this (including your own bit.) Just look at the documentaries on BBC2 now. Horizon, whilst interesting, often looks and sounds much like the educational programmes I watched at school. Actually, they're not as dry as those were and talk down to its audience more. Even Dispatches and Cutting Edge are starting to go that way.

Can you imagine if someone produced a documentary like The Ascent Of Man now? The effect would be like Flashforward, with almost the whole world passing out all at once. Just those possessed with intellect would be awake.
Agree with Tac's summing up of the BBC. I tuned into The Normans cos it got a good review. Although the prof introducing it wasn't showboating in the way that Starkey does, it was still horribly drawn out with long shots of him walking in the woods and the sky through the trees - no need! That sort of thing is done so much better on Radio 4. Their 'This Sceptred Isle' was magnificent.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Agree with Tac's summing up of the BBC. I tuned into The Normans cos it got a good review. Although the prof introducing it wasn't showboating in the way that Starkey does, it was still horribly drawn out with long shots of him walking in the woods and the sky through the trees - no need! That sort of thing is done so much better on Radio 4. Their 'This Sceptred Isle' was magnificent.
Anyone seen that Jimmy Nesbitt/Minnie Driver thing?

It sadly kinda proves my point about the Beeb's new flagship dramas. Jimmy deserves better.

Anyone seen that Jimmy Nesbitt/Minnie Driver thing?

It sadly kinda proves my point about the Beeb's new flagship dramas. Jimmy deserves better.
Nope. I saw that he was in it and wrote it off as a p.o.s. and, as usual, it appears I was correct. Had I known Minnie Driver was in it, I'd have been even more confident.

BTW, he doesn't deserve better. He should be better and not have an annoying face.

It does look very ITV, Tacitus. Well, the ITV of about 10-15 years ago. They'd cream themselves if they were able to do something like that now.

BTW, he doesn't deserve better. He should be better and not have an annoying face.
You've seen Bloody Sunday or, say, Five Minutes of Heaven then? I'm not mentioning Cold Feet because I honestly did not watch a single episode.

I think Nesbitt, along with someone like Ken Stott, is one of those actors who's far too good to be relegated to primetime TV drama fodder and have never quite had things happen for them in terms of movies. He's no Robson Jerome or Ross Kemp.

It started off so promisingly in Hear My Song (along with that other Ulsterman who seemed to have a Hollywood career in front of him, Adrian Dunbar) but seemed to hit a brick wall after Match Point.

Even though he seems to have gained hair at the same rate as I have lost mine, an actor of his talent does deserve better.

EDIT - Uh-oh.

Vidi:

Awesome. *giggles*

hmm I think Top Gear should sue for their name back
I think that the original show is only aired on BBC America, Stateside, so it wouldn't reach too many people.

Dunno if some episodes would go down too well.

That ep was really funny. They were lucky to get away without a beating!
I thought our Top Gear was shown on US tv cos a mate of mine over there is always on about it but I guess he must be watching it on BBC America then

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember reading that one of the few places in the world where TG isn't extremely popular (and on one of the larger networks) is The States.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is down to advertising - How many manufacturers would be willing to pay for time when the show is on if the guys slag practically every American car mercilessly?

It'd be much easier for a few identikit 'dudes' high-fiveing and a-whoopin' while Clarkson and Andy Willman pick up a fat cheque for selling the rights to the format.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm sorry no-one else seems to like the new Sherlock! I enjoyed it very much. It was exactly like Dr. Who for grown ups (and more successfully so than Torchwood), but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. There's plenty worse programmes on and to be deploring the state of primetime telly on the basis of a decent, fun drama series like this is a bit sad. It's not to be taken thoroughly seriously, of course, but after so many dull police procedure murder mysteries it's a bit of a breath of fresh air. Or I thought so anyway. I find I hardly watch television anymore, and this is the first thing I've enjoyed since Ashes to Ashes. Benedict Cumberbatch seems very like the Holmes from the books in many ways, more so than Robert Downey Jr in the recent film, for all his bare knuckle boxing, and I thought the way a lot of little details from the original stories were incorporated in this updated version was clever. Although I will grant that it did get a bit hammy at times - Mycroft and Moriarty were both a little over the top.

Edit: Sorry, Christine, I see that you do like it! Not just me then

It was exactly like Dr. Who for grown ups (and more successfully so than Torchwood), but I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
I disagree. The problem is that Dr. Who is for grown ups. Torchwood was/is Dr Who for grown-ups who want more adult content/themes (though now they're tailoring it for the US market it's being watered down). This was Holmes done in the Dr. Who style, which is what I feared. That said, it appears I did see the worst episode of the three, the second one, which according to my friend who watched all three, was the most childlish and 'Who-like' so maybe I have a slightly warped view of it.

There's plenty worse programmes on and to be deploring the state of primetime telly on the basis of a decent, fun drama series like this is a bit sad.
Whilst I concede that this is just a fun drama series and that there's plenty worse on tv, that's kind of the point of my (and the others) grumble. This wasn't just a fun drama series, this was the big adult tv drama. That's how it was promoted and, although I know you just said it was the first thing you'd enjoyed since Ashes To Ashes, I wouldn't compare the quality of the two programmes, because this was far inferior.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think it hardly surprising that Sherlock has some of the Who style, being written by Doctor Who writers. And your friend is right, the second was the least of the three - I think I read (although haven't verified) that it wasn't actually written by the series creators. I also read somehwere that Benedict Cumberbatch was considered for the eleventh Doctor, but didn't much fancy 'having his face on kids lunchboxes'.

And yes, it probably is a little sillier and less adult than Ashes to Ashes (although that was fairly silly, I'd have thought). Perhaps with more episodes it could grow into something a little more mature?

You're not wrong about the lack of decent adult drama, though. Or comedy for that matter.

I'm sorry no-one else seems to like the new Sherlock! I enjoyed it very much. It was exactly like Dr. Who for grown ups (and more successfully so than Torchwood), but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. There's plenty worse programmes on and to be deploring the state of primetime telly on the basis of a decent, fun drama series like this is a bit sad. It's not to be taken thoroughly seriously, of course, but after so many dull police procedure murder mysteries it's a bit of a breath of fresh air. Or I thought so anyway. I find I hardly watch television anymore, and this is the first thing I've enjoyed since Ashes to Ashes. Benedict Cumberbatch seems very like the Holmes from the books in many ways, more so than Robert Downey Jr in the recent film, for all his bare knuckle boxing, and I thought the way a lot of little details from the original stories were incorporated in this updated version was clever. Although I will grant that it did get a bit hammy at times - Mycroft and Moriarty were both a little over the top.

Edit: Sorry, Christine, I see that you do like it! Not just me then
heh. Although I agree with Hon too, I also agree with Thurs about Sherlock being a nice change from murders/police/forensic scientists. Encouraged me to go back and read the stories again and it's pretty nifty the way they've tweaked things to modern times. Cumberbatch is so well cast too.

I'm constantly on the lookout for a decent tv series to follow. Not got anything lined up on Sky plus now I glanced at The Deep but withdrew in horror!

Dunno if I've genuinely, unreservedly enjoyed a British-made TV drama since the last of the 4 Messiah series and, even then, they were going successively downhill.

Dunno if I've genuinely, unreservedly enjoyed a British-made TV drama since the last of the 4 Messiah series and, even then, they were going successively downhill.
You mean that Second Coming ? the one with Christopher Eccles? That was ace, I really enjoyed that, wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Nope, this one. Didn't realise until now that it was a BBC NI production...

The Ken Stott serial killer thing. It was a bit like the BBC's answer to Morse with a grittier feel.

I can remember that Chris Eccleston thing, though, and it was pretty good.