Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Has this definately happened? I only ask because Raul has said that the deal's not done and that there were teams in England that were interested. He did say that his future lay in either Germany or England. Anyway, according to the papers here (which is like consulting tea leaves most of the time) it's Spurs or Newcastle for Raul. Anyway, atm, all the news (bar one) is from the Daily Mail.

Javier Mascherano has been told by Liverpool that he can leave the club (soccernet) and that Inter are putting together a £25m bid. I remember reading that Liverpool want £30m and Inter didn't want to pay more than £20m, so £25m may well be the magic number.

Arsenal's Manuel Almunia is wanted by his first club Osasuna and that, if this happens, then the Mark Schwarzer, Fulham to Arsenal deal, might finally happen.

Martin Jol, who's still at Ajax after turning down Fulham, wants Mido from Middleborough. If true, I can't see this deal taking more than a minute.

An interesting West Ham story (or, at least, one that doesn't feature Loic Remy) with the news that Roma want to sign midfielder Valon Behrami and could offer goalkeeper Doni or striker Stefano Okaka in exchange.

Lastly, Sunderland, Fulham and Bolton are all fighting it out to sign Portsmouth forward John Utaka.

Yeah, it was in every Belgian newspaper yesterday. He's really leaving Real for Schalke 04. That is a true icon of club love that is leaving a team that is synonymous with his name. What's the first name that comes to mind if you say Real Madrid? As of now, that's Casillas... Wow...

I NEVER thought Raśl would ever leave Real. It would be like Giggs leaving Man U for *gasp* Lyon or Bordeaux or whatever.

I was sure that he's leaving Real, there's been no doubt about that all season and, once you knew that Jose was going there (around about October last year) you could see that he'd want to leave. I actually think there's more chance he'll go to Schalke than he will come to the Premier League, as I think the pace will suit him more.

Anyway, some more gossip

The BBC website has a story about Maxi Rodriguez being on the verge of returning to Spanish side Espanyol.

Also, they say that Sol Campbell is set to sign for Newcastle United, after arriving at the club for a medical.

Roy Hodgson is quoted as saying about Torres; "He has told us that he is looking forward to Monday, to getting back to work and looking forward to playing for Liverpool next season.

"That is what I know so other reports, I would suggest, are erroneous."

Royston Drenthe agent has told the BBC that his client won't be moving anywhere this summer, despite a facebook page, claiming to be Royston Drenthe which said "I will soon be joining Liverpool FC. I hope I will have a good season,"

And goal.com says that, now £30m rated, Luis Suarez is on Harry Redknapp's shopping list.

The Mirror says that Mario Balotelli has rejected a bigger pay packet at Manchester United to join former boss Roberto Mancini at Manchester City.

This £25m transfer, they say, trigger the transfer merry-go-round. Emmanuel Adebayor will join Juventus on loan, while Mascherano, Dirk Kuyt and Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan will move to Inter Milan.

Shaun Wright-Phillips may be offered as part of a deal to sign James Milner, as the "City To Sign Milner" sage drags on, so say The Mirror.

The Sun say Liverpool want defender Carlos Salcido and that PSV Eindhoven will ask for about £3m.

Spurs want Scott Parker, but West Ham are rumoured to ask £15m for him, which said to be putting them off. I've also read that Liverpool are interested in him.

The Sun carry a story I like, which is that United are looking at Steven Defour. The midfielder would cost around £13m, so they say.

The Daily Express say that United are worried that both Owen Hargreaves and Anderson won make the named 25 player squad that Premier League team have to have this season. There's also a story (somewhere) that Jonathon Woodgate will be left out off the Spurs list, too. They also speculate that his career may over. Nothing new there.

Benfica are asking for £33m for defender, David Luiz, who's been linked with Chelsea, Real and City.

The Mirror say that Wenger will make a bid for Per Mertesacker and think that £10m should do it. They say that this is in reaction to Sol Campbell moving to Newcastle, I this story has been knocking about for a day or two now.

The Daily Mail say that West Bromwich Albion have had a £3m bid for midfielder Cheick Tiote rejected by FC Twente.

They also say that Scott Parker will be offered a new, 5 year deal worth £20m to try and keep him at West Ham.

Lastly, The Sun say that Arsenal will make a bid for Arsenal are poised to move for Italy's #1 keeper, Federico Marchetti after his club, Cagliari, put the 27-year-old up for sale.

Mark Hughes is Fulham's new manager.

Stuttgart's managing director Fredi Bobic has said that midfielder Sami Khedira, 23, wants a move to Real Madrid. "He's told us that he wants to go - now we have to find a solution," Bobic told Bild newspaper.

Manchester City are set to confirm the £24m signing striker Mario Balotelli on Thursday after he agreed a contract worth about £65,000 a week.

The Sun carries the story that David Beckham has promised to give West Ham a decision soon on whether he will end his career at Upton Park.

Liverpool are ready to offer Aston Villa £7m for midfielder Stiliyan Petrov, as a replacement for Mascherano who's said to be off to Inter for £25m

The Mirror also carry a story about Luke Young's move to Liverpool. They say it may be off, as he wants a pay-off from Aston Villa as he would have to take a drop in wages.

More from The Mirror and Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has said Carlo Ancelotti will be given money to rebuild the side and that striker Didier Drogba will not be leaving.

IMScouting say that Mourinho has ruled out a move for David Luiz, so Man City are now favourites to sign the Benfica defender.

They also have Javier Garrido moving from Man City to Lazio for £2.5m.

More from IMscouting who say that Federico Marchetti is almost at Arsenal in a deal, said to be around £5m.

The Sun say that Wigan are putting together a, club record, £7m bid for Chile's World Cup striker Humberto Suazo. Birmingham and Sunderland are also eyeing a swoop for the 29-year-old.

The Mirror has Australian midfielder Vince Grella moving to Galatasaray from Blackburn, with the clubs seeking to negotiate a deal of about £2m.

As Fulham's new manager, Mark Hughes wants to take Craig Bellamy to The Cottage. That's according to goal.com.

While, The Daily Mail have Spurs offering £4m for the City striker.

The Daily Mail also bring us news that Danish goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard, who plays for Norwegian side Aalesunds, is being lined up by Manchester United as Edwin van der Sar's successor.

More United news, this time from The Sun, who tell us United lead the chase for Ghana's midfielder Anthony Annan, who plays for Rosenborg. Arsenla and Chelsea are the other two clubs mentioned.

The Mail say that Besiktas want Villa's John Carew.

They also say that Mick McCarthy has ruled out a permanent move for Chelsea's Michael Mancienne. who he had on loan last season.

A few papers carry John Bostock's words about his progress, in his mind, being damaged by foreign players in the English game. The 18-year-old, who was on loan at Brentford last season, wants another loan move as he has only made three substitute appearances for Spurs in two years.

France coach Laurent Blanc has said he will quit if he fails to secure qualification for the 2012 European Championships.

Yesterday, The Mirror said that Roque Santa Cruz is on his way to Marseille for around £9m. Frankly, I think City will be lucky to get that. They also said that Jo may be on his way to Blackburn.

Whereas, IMscouting said that Marseille will go for Emmanuel Adebayor.

Internationally retired (is that a phrase? It is now) Thierry Henry has told L'Equipe that he will never even consider playing for France again, even if new coach and former team-mate Laurent Blanc asked him to.

David James has joined Bristol City.

The Independent say that the deal to take Mario Balotelli to Man City, is still "a substantial distance" from being agreed.

The Mirror have Roy Hodgson telling everyone that David Ngog will stay at Liverpool despite the rumours to the contrary.

Finally, it sounds like the death rattle of the "Fabregas to Barcelona" story and, today at least, it's coming from The Independent, who tell us that Cesc Fabregas has hinted he is still tempted by a return to Barcelona and has said that the conversation over his future with Arsene Wenger was "one of the most difficult moments of my life."

The Daily Mirror say that Bolton will bring Ivan Klasnic back to the club on a permanent deal from Nantes.

Sad news today in the Mirror, as it carries a story which says that Queens Park Rangers and Coventry are after Marlon "I hit women who don't won't let me **** them" King, who was released from prison yesterday.

The Star say that Luke Young's move to Liverpool is definately off, as he won't accept a £10,000 a week drop in wages.

While, in The Sun, they say that West Brom have joined Blackburn and Sheffield United in the chase for Stoke's James Beattie and have made a bid of £1.5m.

In completely unsurprising news, The Mirror have new Fulham boss Mark Hughes going after City rejects (and former buys of his) Craig Bellamy and Roque Santa Cruz, as well as Stephen Ireland, who was a regular first team player during Hughes' time at the club.

The Mail say that Hughes may make a move for Robert Green, if Mark Schwarzer goes to Arsenal.

My favourite story of the day is from The Sun. Five thousand unsold 24-carat gold limited edition Frank Lampard signature iPods are to be melted down and rebranded into ones featuring cartoon character Hello Kitty.

David James has joined Bristol City.
Our locals are made up!

The Star say that Luke Young's move to Liverpool is definately off, as he won't accept a £10,000 a week drop in wages.
you wouldn't though would you? It'd be so hard to scrape by.

The thing that gets me is, he's Luke Young and it's a move to Liverpool. It's not like he's been at a load of big clubs or he's been chased by them all his career and yet, despite this, he's been on an absolute fortune most of these years.

I'm not saying he shoulld take a pay cut, but if I were a professional sportsman (and multi millionaire as I assume he is) I think I'd 'lose' half a million a year to play for a club like that.

Of course, if he's a Everton or United fan, then it's understandable.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
But Liverpool are on the way down whilst under MON Villa have been on the way up and he could force his way back into the team. To be fair even as a United fan I would never turn down a move to Chelsea, Liverpool, United or Arsenal, such large fan bases and history behind them (well maybe not Chelsea).

True, but I don't don't see Villa pushing on. I think they're as good as they're going to get without some major investment being made, and Lerner's not going to do that. A seaosn or two of steady, comfortable management by Woy might be enough to get Liverpool back (at least) challenging for a top 4 spot and, again, you're playing for Liverpool.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Do people think that Luke Young will be doing anything more than sitting on the bench at Liverpool? I know that Fatty Johnson isn't exactly the new Cafu (he's not even the new Gary Neville) but I'd expect him to keep his place in the team.

I know he's played at left back but, c'mon. The guy might be one of those rare footballers who puts playing the game above adding a few million to the already hefty sum he must already have in the back. He's not Wayne Bridge, basically.

Well, Fabio Aurelio's gone back to Liverpool, so that's the back up to Johnson in place.

AC Milan coach Massimo Allegri has said that Beckham won't be back for a third time. He cites his current injury as too much to recover from for a player of his age. Asked if he'd be back at Milan, Allegri replied; "I do not think so.

"He is now recovering from a very bad injury and at that age I think it is very difficult to come back."

OK, it's Sunday Bumper Gossip Day

Marseille have told Fenerbahce that Mamadou Niang is not for sale. Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier told the AFP news agency: "Mamadou is at the club and he will be staying here."

Mesut Ozil thinks he'll play out the final year of his contract with Werder Bremen and not follow Germany team-mate Sami Khedira to Real Madrid this summer. That's from Sunday's Bild

In El Mundo, Jose Mourinho has warned Real fans that his teams do not reach their peak until his second season in charge.

The People say that Man City want Torres for £50m, but want an answer quickly.

Also in The People, City manager Mancini has asked Gai Assulin if he's interested in a trial at the club. Gai Assulin was a promising teenager at Barcelona, but left because he was struggling to get a game.

The Sunday Mirror say Liverpool are going to test the waters at West Ham with an £8m bid for Scott Parker.

They also resurrect the Maynor Figueroa to Liverpool story, saying £5m is the price.

The NOTW say that Ashley Cole has told Chelsea that he wants to leave England and go to Real.

The Sunday Mirror say that Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce denies that Galatasaray have made an approach for midfielder Vince Grella.

The NOTW also carry a Milner to City story. They say that City have raised their offer by £1m to £25m.

IMscouting says that Robinho's agent is trying to get his client to Inter. A few days ago the papers were saying that he was staying at City, after the club and Santos failed to reach an agreement.

The NOTW report that Emmanuel Adebayor has been told he can leave City. Juventus and AC Milan are said to be interested.

Also in the NOTW, Wenger is said to be looking at Montpellier's 29-year-old Bosnia international centre-back Emir Spahic, if the deal for Per Mertesacker can't be done.

More in the NOTW. Tony Pulis would like to take Jo on a season long loan, after Carlton Cole became too expensive for the club.

Whereas The People say that Stoke are going to make Loic Remy the club's record signing. West Ham have had a £12m bid rejected. Stoke are also said to be ready to make a £3m bid for David Ngog.

The NOTW say that David Moyes won't bring Landon Donovan to Goodison Park.

Goal.com say that striker Deniz Yilmaz, currently at Bayern, says he wants to play in the Premier League and believes he will fit in. The Turkish international has been linked with five English clubs.

The Sunday Post say that Rangers will only sign Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic if he remains eligible to play in the Champions League.

Carlos Tevez has said that he's struggling to get motivated after being knocked out of the World Cup. That's in the NOTW.

The Times Business section says that a mystery Syrian businessman has emerged as a surprise contender to buy Liverpool. Former Syrian international footballer Yahya Kirdi, who claims to be fronting a consortium of Arab investors, is in talks with Reds owner George Gillett.

Thanks for that Hon. I read in the Liverpool Echo that Donovan wanted to come back to Goodison but it looked like he was going to be too expensive.

Yes, the people at L.A. Galaxy don't want to let him go, hence the cost. There was a story in one of the nationals last week which said that Donovan wanted to return, but this seems to've put the kibosh on it.

I don't understand the thrill of football. I mean, I grew up with it on every Sunday and I don't resent it but...Can anyone explain their appreciation for it?

The Stoke Sentinel quotes Tony Pulis saying that he's not had any bids for Carlton Cole turned down.

As (the Spanish paper) and Luis Fabiano is saying that he's staying at Sevilla, despite being linked to AC Milan and Tottenham. "My future is with Sevilla," he's quoted as saying. No one's come in for you, have they Luis?

caughtoffside says that Arsene Wenger is preparing a bid for Stuttgart centre-back Serdar Tasci as well as Bayer Leverkusen's goakeeper Rene Adler. They say wenger thinks that around £22m will do the trick.

The Daily Star say that Man City won't allow Craig Bellamy out on loan to Spurs. They'll be hoping to start a bidding war with Fulham's Mark Hughes, who's said to be keen to sign the striker.

They also report that Giuseppe Rossi may come back to United, should Villareal sell him, as there was a buy-out clause in the contract when United sold him. IIRC, it's for around £12. Personally, I don't see it happening. Good player, though.

The Mirror have Harry Redknapp ready to sell Peter Crouch for £7m, if he can get a striker in quickly, as he wants to 'refresh' his forward line.

The Daily Mail have Olympiakos joining in the chase for Santa Cruz, who's on his way out of Man City. They say that a loan deal is most likely, if he goes there.

While, in The Sun, they report than Villa have been priced out of a move for Celtic's Aiden McGeady, after Spartak Moscow put in a bid for £9.5m. Villa are said to be prepared to go no higher than £7.5m for the midfielder.

The Daily Mirror report that Hull City's new manager, Nigel Pearson, would like to take Spurs John Bostock on loan for the season.

In The Guardian, they run the story of Kenneth Huang, who has made an offer to RBS to buy Liverpool's £237m debt and oust owners George Gillet and Tom Hicks.

The Liverpool takeover seems to be gathering momentum and, karma permitting, might well mean that The Americans don't get a penny profit because it's in the hands of Kenny Huang and the banks.

He had to go and spoil things by saying that he'd like to bring Messi to the club - Why do potential buyers and presidents (in Spain) keep doing that? I'm pretty sure that Liverpool fans would welcome Dean Windass to lead the line with open arms if it meant that Hicks and Gillett were gone...

Whichever way it goes, it looks like the duo's days on Merseyside are numbered.

Yep, it's good news if they can get rid of them. Especially if they don't make a penny out of it. I may hate them and laugh at the fans, but what's happened to that club is terrible.

Yep, I've got no great love for them but it always leaves a bad taste in the mouth when clubs are run in that way. I've got no problem with foreign owners of Prem clubs, as long as they're doing it for reasons which are at least in part altruistic. Of course, as we've seen with Newcastle, it's not only foreign owners who incur the wrath of supporters.

Lerner at Villa is a good example. He's not mega rich in the Abramovich mode but every Villa fan I know likes the guy and thinks he's got the best interests of the club at heart.

I wonder how much of Fergie's recent defending of the Glazers comes from him being a good company man?

I wonder how much of Fergie's recent defending of the Glazers comes from him being a good company man?
Absolutely. You know as well as I do that Fergie has never been shy with the cash and, as much as he likes to see the youth come through, he's got no problem spending big money on a player to patch over for a year or two before that player comes through.

I can't believe that his change of behaviour coinciding with the credit crunch and the Glazers' business troubles is just coincidence.