Sucker Punch

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Directed by: Zack Snyder

Cast: Carla Gugino, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, Michael Jai White, Jon Hamm, Abbie Cornish

Plot: Sucker Punch is a movie about little girl who is trying to hide from the pain caused by her evil stepfather and lobotomy. She ends up in mental institution and while there she starts to imagine alternative reality. She plans to escape from that imaginary world but to do that she needs to steal five objects before she is caught by a vile man. Story is set in 1950's.

-Joblo.com

Suspect's Reviews

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This looks awesome also I love Zack Snyder's work, Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen so im looking forward to seeing what he has in store for us in this, also the Tagline is awesome, Alice in Wonderland with Machine Guns

It is not interesting.

Oh, I dunno. A fairly celebrated graphic novel (I think?), and certainly a novel premise (no pun intended?). Plenty of potential. I think we can wait until we see at least a trailer before rendering a verdict, yes?

Snyder has enough flair and has shown he can make these kinds of adaptations come to life, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Plenty of potential. I think we can wait until we see at least a trailer before rendering a verdict, yes?
No. It looks and sounds ****. Now, if the trailer makes me think differently, then I'll say differently, but I'm fairly confident that won't be the case for me.

No. It looks and sounds ****. Now, if the trailer makes me think differently, then I'll say differently, but I'm fairly confident that won't be the case for me.
Madam Gorski doesn't interest you, Honeykid

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Though I'm guessing it'll ultimately depend on how much Carla Gugino's in it, anyway, so there's no point in talking about, like, the plot or the director or anything.

Madam Gorski doesn't interest you, Honeykid
Of course, but I've already mentioned her. Hell, she's the only reason I've not written the whole film off already. Though, in all honesty, I doubt I'll see it. It's highly doubtful that I'll go out of my way to see it.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Sure I've made up my mind and, as I said, it'll stay that way until I see something that changes it.

Though I'm guessing it'll ultimately depend on how much Carla Gugino's in it,
Nope. Only Drew can get me to see a film that, otherwise, I'm sure I won't like.

so there's no point in talking about, like, the plot or the director or anything.
We can, here's what I think. I think the plot sounds stupid and the director's a hack who's made one film I liked and that was a remake of a film I love. This, it would appear, is yet another comicbook movie and, therefore, highly unlikely to interest me.

TBH, I was pretty much done with the film after reading the first line.

"Sucker Punch is a movie about little girl who is trying to hide from the pain caused by her evil stepfather and lobotomy."
However, I carried on because, well, tbh, there wasn't much more to read. I now wish I hadn't bothered.

Also, Sucker Punch is a stupid title. Not, "so bad I won't bother finding out what it's about" bad, but had there been lots of new posts in this section, I may well have not bothered with this one until later.

See, now I'm in the awkward position of defending a film I'm not terribly interested in, and not at all confident will be good. So...don't take my defense of it as any kind of endorsement, but really...this is all based on almost nothing, isn't it? How can Sucker Punch be a stupid title when we have no idea what it refers to? I thought The Silence of the Lambs was a pretty weird title until I saw the film. Then it made sense. Now I think it's brilliant.

No, no, I'm not equivocating the two. I'm just saying it's silly to form conclusions this early in the process. Granted, I'm sure I've been known to make a few exceptions, but I think it's generally a pretty good rule.

As for Zack Snyder being a hack...yikes. He's a lot of things, and not all of them are good, but the guy's undeniably talented. And I wouldn't deduct any points for his Dawn of the Dead being a remake, seeing as how he absolutely made it his own and didn't have to borrow much of anything from the original, save for the setting.