Ufc

Tools    

started a thread about the game and people started talking bout the ufc, so thought id start a thread for any fans that wanna talk about brock getting knocked out by shane carwin in a few weeks haha, what do any of use think ?

I'll reply here to your favourite fighter choices that you mentioned in the other thread.

I like all those guys, except Mir because of his personality.

Anderson Silva is my favourite MMA fighter, second to Fedor. There are no challengers for his 185 belt, although the UFC would like casual fans to believe that Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort are still legit challengers. Maybe Shields if he signs with the UFC but I doubt it. Sonnen has just been running his mouth on Silva for months: how he will humiliate him, turn it into a grueling match, how it's his moral duty to kick Silva's ass. But the truth is that Sonnen has talked his way into this match. Sonnen has nothing on Silva, his only chance is to take him down via his wrestling skills and try to pound on him. So Sonnen can run his mouth all he wants, but Anderson will absolutely tool him. Demian Maia submitted Sonnen and we all saw what Anderson did to Maia...

I like Anderson because he actually has some boxing skills, one of the only MMA fighters for that matter. He's just very well-rounded. And I also like him because he can showboat like Roy Jones and get away with it, because his opposition is no match for him.

Then there's GSP, your 2nd choice. He's well-rounded. But much like Anderson Silva at 185, there's no more challengers for him at 170. He needs to move up to 185 and do a fight against a guy like Marquardt and, provided that he wins, go for Silva's belt. But GSP is saying how there are still challengers at 170, because all the guys he beat up (Fitch, Thiago Alves, Koscheck) have "changed". Bit of a lack of ambition there imo. I respect GSP for his mma skills, but not so much for the fact that he kind of clings to that 170 division.

Shane Carwin then: I like him a lot. He’s a stand-up guy, no drama, no trash talking, just punching guys’ lights out in round 1. I never expected him to beat Mir, but then again, Mir had a dumb game plan. If you let a 265 pound colossus like Carwin push you up against the cage and you do nothing, sooner or later punches are going to rain down on your body / face. And the second Mir went down, he turtled up, already half way down lala-land due to Carwin uppercuts. I hope Carwin knocks out Lesnar’s lights at UFC 116.

Frank Mir: I like his skills, the way he can work from the bottom, move his hips and submit his opponents. I remember that insane shoulder lock he submitted Pete Williams with. That was one of the finest submissions I think I’ve ever seen. That being said, I don’t like his attitude. He runs his mouth too much and can’t afford to because he’s lost a third of all his fights.

Btw, why is the thread called "ufc" instead of "MMA"? I mean, there's more to MMA than just UFC, although Zuffa would like us to believe otherwise. There's still a lot of top guys that aren't competing in the UFC, such as:

- Fedor: no explanation necessary. #1 HW.
- Ubereem: Imo, the #2 HW, very well-rounded, dangerous boxing, killer knees and submission skills.
- Mousasi: still needs to develop his skill set a bit, but he is a great fighter already.
- Muhammed Lawal: currect strikeforce LHW champ with killer wrestling skills
- Melendez: current strikeforce LW champ
- Jacare: future strikeforce MW champ

And some others like Aoki, Kid Yamamoto, Bigfoot Silva and Alvarez.

Enough of my rambling, anyone have any thoughts on UFC 115?

Here's the main card:

Light Heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin
Heavyweight bout: Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic vs. Patrick Barry
Welterweight bout: Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann
Heavyweight bout: Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel
Welterweight bout: Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald

My predictions:
- Franklin
- Patrick Barry
- Paulo Thiago
- Rothwell
- no idea

Liddel
Patrick Barry
Paulo Thiago
Rothwell

i think 115 is a poor card realy i cnt wait for 116.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
My favorite fighters to watch are:

Chael Sonnen-- he is always a super-aggressive wrestler

Uriah Faber-- very creative fighter

Anderson Silva (when he's not playing babygames in the ring...)

Josh Koscheck -- he just goes for it

Miguel Torres-- he looks like a baby monkey, but I love the way he fights.

Brock Lesnar-- he reminds me of "The Crusher" in the Bugs Bunny cartoon. What a gorilla. However, he's fun to watch.

My favorite fighters to watch are:

Chael Sonnen-- he is always a super-aggressive wrestler

Uriah Faber-- very creative fighter

Anderson Silva (when he's not playing babygames in the ring...)

Josh Koscheck -- he just goes for it

Miguel Torres-- he looks like a baby monkey, but I love the way he fights.

Brock Lesnar-- he reminds me of "The Crusher" in the Bugs Bunny cartoon. What a gorilla. However, he's fun to watch.
It's true that Sonnen always turns his matches into real fights but I dislike everything about the guy. His matches are usually entertaining to watch and he's a good wrestler but his personality disgusts me. He has talked his way into a match with Anderson. Honestly, I don't even think he's a legit challenger.

As to Anderson's showboating against Maia. He did it because he could. Maia had nothing on him and was in fact an inferior opponent. The only thing that Anderson is guilty of is not KO'ing him and playing it safe. I did not enjoy the last 2 rounds of that fight because Silva knew he had it in the bag and took no risks at all anymore. When you know you can KO a guy and when you have such superior boxing skills, you should just go for it and give the fans their money's worth. But the showboating I don't mind.

Koscheck vs Daley was bs. Koscheck was being a little crybaby and Daley crossed the line with that punch. That being said, I think it's harsh that they've cut Daley for that one punch.

What are your thoughts on the main card of UFC 115?

Liddel
Patrick Barry
Paulo Thiago
Rothwell

i think 115 is a poor card realy i cnt wait for 116.
Why Liddell? He's lost 4 of his last 5 fights, 3 of those he got KTFO. He has noticeably slowed down and will be rusty after that long lay-off. I think Chuck should take Franklin down and try to win via decision, but doubt very much if he'll succeed at doing that

That's not to say that Franklin will steamroll him. He's also past his prime imo, but not as much as Chuck. His skill set is also more developed. I reckon Franklin via unanimous decision.

I would like to see Liddell-Franklin, I think that one will be good. I also am rooting for Mac Danzig-- I always liked that guy, but he seemed stuck in the middle somewhere.

I think alot of the shenanigans we are seeing in the UFC (Silva showboating, Koscheck weeping in the corner, etc) might be the reaction of the fighters to UFC rules, decisions, matchups, etc. I remember a while back watching Royce Gracie take out any opponent with no time limit rounds etc. If it took him 20 minutes on his back to take out his opponent, so be it. Unfortunately the UFC is now pressured to be entertainment, so that may be why the fighters are behaving so poorly, and guys like Sonnen have to shoot off their mouths just to get noticed and have title fights. (btw, can't wait till the Sonnen-Silva matchup!)
Just a half-baked theory...

I would like to believe it's just that, but that's not it. Fighters are often dismissive of their opponents to hype a fight. We've seen it very recently with Jackson vs. Evans. All of that talk makes casual fans believe that that match-up was something unique and exciting, but it wasn't. It was just an eliminator bout for the championship; they have those every month. Fighters run their mouth in order to sell the fight.

Remember how Rashad evans was saying how he was gonna knock Rampage's lights out. Then the fight finally started and he had no intention whatsoever to trade shots with Rampage. He stuck to his gameplan and I actually think he fought intelligently, but it makes you see that all that talk beforehand is just that: talk.

you could see it after the fight, they were quite respectful to one another. Rampage even said that Rashad was "the man".

Sonnen is always running his mouth, not just for this bout against Anderson. Every time he has to fight, he speaks very dismissive of his opponent. It's just a gimmick and in Sonnen's case, it's getting embarrassing. You need to put your money where your mouth is and Sonnen loses way too much to keep talking ***** about his opponents. After Anderson has decimated him, what's he going to say then? All that smack talk will only make even more people see what a fool he is.

That being said, he's probably looking at a 100k + payday, even if he loses so maybe the fans are the fools for buying into this hype fight...

Good point on the hype, it is kind of strange how these guys talk so much trash beforehand, then hug each other with respect after the fight. If you listen to the younger fighters starting out, they say things about how they're gonna hurt and humiliate their opponent etc, like they have to get themselves worked up and angry first. I like when the fighters behave like pro athletes and say they're looking forward to "banging it up" or the like, and don't get personal.

I cannot wait for the Sonnen-Anderson fight. I think you're right, he will get decimated, but when he says, "I'm just going to keep putting my head into his chest and taking him down" I hope he means it. Gonna be fun to watch btw, he claims Silva speaks perfect English, do you think that's true? (could be trash though...)

I would like to believe it's just that, but that's not it. Fighters are often dismissive of their opponents to hype a fight. We've seen it very recently with Jackson vs. Evans. All of that talk makes casual fans believe that that match-up was something unique and exciting, but it wasn't. It was just an eliminator bout for the championship; they have those every month. Fighters run their mouth in order to sell the fight.

Remember how Rashad evans was saying how he was gonna knock Rampage's lights out. Then the fight finally started and he had no intention whatsoever to trade shots with Rampage. He stuck to his gameplan and I actually think he fought intelligently, but it makes you see that all that talk beforehand is just that: talk.

you could see it after the fight, they were quite respectful to one another. Rampage even said that Rashad was "the man".

Sonnen is always running his mouth, not just for this bout against Anderson. Every time he has to fight, he speaks very dismissive of his opponent. It's just a gimmick and in Sonnen's case, it's getting embarrassing. You need to put your money where your mouth is and Sonnen loses way too much to keep talking ***** about his opponents. After Anderson has decimated him, what's he going to say then? All that smack talk will only make even more people see what a fool he is.

That being said, he's probably looking at a 100k + payday, even if he loses so maybe the fans are the fools for buying into this hype fight...

Good point on the hype, it is kind of strange how these guys talk so much trash beforehand, then hug each other with respect after the fight. If you listen to the younger fighters starting out, they say things about how they're gonna hurt and humiliate their opponent etc, like they have to get themselves worked up and angry first. I like when the fighters behave like pro athletes and say they're looking forward to "banging it up" or the like, and don't get personal.
Yeah I like it too when they just say that they hope to have a good fight for the fans. That's partially why Fedor is my favourite MMA fighter. No drama, no bullsh!t, just winning every single fight he participates in. And he is so always so calm and serene. After a fight, he's not overly enthusiastic. It's like he's just won 10$ on the lottery instead of another 500k+ fight.

That being said, I love fighters that showboat a bit during the fight like Anderson.

I cannot wait for the Sonnen-Anderson fight. I think you're right, he will get decimated, but when he says, "I'm just going to keep putting my head into his chest and taking him down" I hope he means it.
Hehe, he might. But if he can't take Anderson down, this will be over very quickly. Silva already shows himself the better man by not taking part in Sonnen's smacktalk, but I'm sure that it annoys him. So Anderson will be looking for a vicious knockout and Sonnen can only stop him by being on top of him.

I'm not really looking forward to this fight because I already know the outcome. The last fight I was really excited for was Machida vs Shogun II. And my boy Machida took a lot of punishment. I was so glad that Shogun stopped firing before the ref actually ended the fight. A fighter can only endure so much of these knockouts, luckily it's Machida's first.

Gonna be fun to watch btw, he claims Silva speaks perfect English, do you think that's true? (could be trash though...)
I read on a forum that a guy met Anderson. He said that Silva can understand English very well, but has a lot of difficulty speaking English. I think he doesn't speak English in his press conferences and post-fight interviews because he's unable to fully express his thoughts.

I can understand German very well and I can express myself in German in a very basic way, but I would struggle a lot at making conversation with a German. So naturally, I prefer to speak English to Germans because i'm able to express myself better. The analogy can also be applied to Silva.

It's just Sonnen running his mouth again.

Other news:

Randy Couture’s contract has been signed, sealed, and delivered to face former pro boxer James Toney at UFC 118 on August 28 at the TD Garden in Boston, the fighting legend confirmed with Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

Following internal discussions between the camps and promotion regarding a catch-weight for the bout, Couture, who turns 47 on June 22, said he’ll face Toney at heavyweight. Sherdog.com has not yet been able to ascertain if Toney has submitted his bout agreement as well.
Source: Sherdog

Now this is a fight that I am looking forward to. I cannot wait for James "Lights Out" Toney to lay out Couture.

I can already picture it: Couture looking serious, circling Toney, then tries to jump in for a double leg takedown. But Toney nicks the side of Randy's head and brutally finishes him. He will subsequently stand triumphant over the fallen MMA legend, shouting about how weak, pathetic and queer MMA really is. And I will love every second of it.

Boxing will - as fights between MMA-fighters and old, washed-up boxers have previously demonstrated - further establish its reputation as the superior combat sport.

And just to share Toney's opinion on what the UFC really means...

“They talkin’ about ground game? That don’t mean nothin’ to me dog. I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil ***. You know what UFC stands for, right? Ultimate ****ing Chumps. Ultimate Fighting Cocksuckers”

Like I said, age has caught up with Liddell and you can't reverse time. He was slow and one-dimensional after the first 2 minutes. He threw some low kicks and 2 good body kicks in the first 2 mins, breaking Rich Franklin's arm with one of those, and even scored a brief takedown. But after that he relied entirely on his striking, and Rich was the beter man in the striking department during the entire match.

Liddell once again over-committed to that one big punch. Rich was just backing up, but he was still fully aware of what he did, putting Chuck's lights out with one single punch. Liddell's chin is inexistant nowadays, he was done after that first big punch. That's it for him, retire while you still have your dignity, Chuck.

Other than that, Pat Barry lacks killer instinct and cardio. He had plenty of chances to finish a slow, old Cro Cop in that first round. Already during the 2nd round, Barry was gassed and for some unexplainable reason changed his game plan: no more low kicks, but silly high kicks. Rothwell also won his match so maybe we'll see Cro Cop - Rothwell in a few months.

I was very impressed with Martin Kampmann. Did not think he would win against Paulo Thiago. I figured Thiago would take him down and submit him on the ground. Kampmann has basic boxing skills and was picking Thiago's face apart with a mean left jab, right straight. Thiago has virtually no proper boxing skills, just swing for the fence and hope he connects. But I really didn't think Kampmann's ground game was that good. If he keeps this up in his following matches, he's a possible contender for GSP's belt.

All in all, a lukewarm UFC edition. I hope 116 will be better.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Pat Barry was fighting his idol, and got a lil starstruck. He believed that Cro-cop would stand and bang with him.

craziest move of the night

Chuck was in over his head Vs. Franklin, Imo he would have easily beat Tito, but franklin is far more technical and well rounded.

This surprised however:

I already said previously in this thread that Liddell had to take Franklin down and try to ground and pound his way to a decision. The only thing Liddell has on Franklin is wrestling. He's just so one dimensional that he never uses this wrestling because he didn't need it in the past. But speed is the first thing to go as you get older. Just watch Vitali Klitschko in boxing. He's slow too, but he fights a smart fight, keeps his distance and jabs his opponent to death.

Old fighters need superior technique to keep fighting at the highest level. Look at Bernard Hopkinds. He's 45 years old and still borderline top 10 p4p. In MMA, that means that you need to fight smart and exploit your biggest quality at that point. That's why Couture is still winning fights, albeit not against top fighters (he will get destroyed by Toney though ).

Chuck fought a dumb fight. When you lose 4 of your last 5 fights due to having fought in that fashion, it is clear that you need to try something else. Those 3 knockouts he suffered before the Franklin fight should have made it clear that he can't fight that way no longer.

But he didn't. And now he will be forced to retire. That's what happens when you fight for too long...

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Other news:

Source: Sherdog

Now this is a fight that I am looking forward to. I cannot wait for James "Lights Out" Toney to lay out Couture.

I can already picture it: Couture looking serious, circling Toney, then tries to jump in for a double leg takedown. But Toney nicks the side of Randy's head and brutally finishes him. He will subsequently stand triumphant over the fallen MMA legend, shouting about how weak, pathetic and queer MMA really is. And I will love every second of it.

Boxing will - as fights between MMA-fighters and old, washed-up boxers have previously demonstrated - further establish its reputation as the superior combat sport.

And just to share Toney's opinion on what the UFC really means...

“They talkin’ about ground game? That don’t mean nothin’ to me dog. I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil ***. You know what UFC stands for, right? Ultimate ****ing Chumps. Ultimate Fighting Cocksuckers”
James Toney is going to sleep.

it won't be close.

Look at what a washed-up 48-year old Ray Mercer did to a top 10 heavyweight in Tim Sylvia at the time. It took him 9 seconds to knock out a top 10 MMA heavyweight with a single punch. That is what a guy with a top boxing pedigree can do to a guy who has sub par boxing skills.

Now, when looking at the facts, things do not look good for Toney. He is a 41 year old way past his prime boxer who has been in 83 pro boxing fights and 35 amateur fights. Toney is not exactly a power puncher either. That is to say, in boxing, he did not often knock out his opponents, let alone knock out his opponents with one blow. The reason why he could stand his ground in boxing for so long was because of his superior understanding of technique. Toney hasn't been in real shape for a fight in well over 7-8 years now. In summary, the man is a shell of what he used to be.

Enter Randy Couture. Captain America has only been in 28 professional bouts, which is nothing compared to Toney's 83. He's one of the better wrestlers to ever compete in MMA and also has a kind of boxing background. Randy is also still winning fights, albeit against a corpse (Mark Coleman) and a contender on his way back (Vera).

So Randy has a lot more going for him than James Toney. But that doesn't matter because there's only 1 way to look at this fight:
  • Couture shoots in for a double leg, takes Toney down, grounds and pounds him or submits him
  • Toney knocks out Couture
This essentially means that Couture has 50 % to score his takedown and Toney has 50 % to nick Couture's head, and believe me, that'll be all it takes. And a puncher's chance will be all Toney needs.

James "Lights Out" Toney will show the world that boxing is the superior combat sport once again. This was already demonstrated by Ray Mercer, but Toney will forever put to sleep this discussion that Dana White has created over boxing vs. MMA. Boxing has nothing to lose, Toney is washed-up and can't even hang anymore with the top 30 in any weight class he's ever competed at. UFC has billed Toney against the icon of MMA. The UFC is gambling their sport's respectability by doing this. Come August 28, Toney will be interviewed by Joe Rogan after his KO victory over Captain America, shouting profanities about how MMA is a sport for guys who could not cut it in the world of pro boxing (although Toney will probably include the words "******", "weak", "pathetic" or "queer"). And he may be right about that...