Brazil

→ in
Tools    

I need opinions on this film folks. I personally only know two people that have seen it and one reckoned it was a bloated, over-the-top waste of time whilst the other said it was one of the best films he had ever seen! Thing is my local DVD spot is having a clearout and they've got the film for a tenner and I wanna know what it's like, if it's worth getting or not. They also have the Criterion edition for £25 and basically I also want to know if it's worth getting that instead. I've got a few Criterion's and some are great, others I could have easily made do with the regular copy so is this Criterion edition really worth it or should I just get the plain normal DVD, if either?? Any feedback appreciated, thanks

Brazil is an excellent, excellent film--one of Gilliam's best. It's well worth a watch, and if you're considering buying it on DVD, the Criterion is the way to go. It's got a*sloads of extras, including two different versions of the film itself--the director's cut and a chopped-up shorter version. If you want a run-down on the different DVDs, check out the Brazil page on IMDb. That'll tell you everything you need to know.

I say, go for it. If you like Terry Gilliam as a director, and if you like funny/surreal movies in general, then Brazil won't disappoint.

If you're gonna buy it, DEFINITELY get the Criterion triple-discer. And I happen to think Brazil is brilliant, a masterpiece. But it's definitely a love-it/hate-it proposition.

Don't know what twenty-five Pounds translates to in American dollars these days, but that Criterion set is sooooo worth it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I still haven't seen it!!
Argh!!

And what's more, I know I'd buy it straight off and I can find the DVD for sale anywhere.

I still haven't seen it!!
Have you slapped yourself, for the good of the nation?

If you like movies like The Naked Lunch, or MulHolland Dr, or Clockwork Orange...then you have the mentality and taste to like this film. Though it is not nearly as creepy as those.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
(Used this so called search feature)

I've sat myself down TWICE to watch Brazil. The first time I made it around 30 minutes into the movie and got the urge to get up onto my feet and run. I did just that. The second viewing came days later when I threw myself between the cushions and took another shot at it. Once again the urge to shoot right up and run came once again, and I went with it.

For some reason I can't seem to get into the whole entire feeling of this movie? Is there something I'm missing? Sure there are going to be some mofo here that believes that I suck for not liking it (obviously the words opinion and self-taste haven't entered their systems). Everytime I open my eyes wide to watch it, I get turned away by its carelessness to give me, what seems from the start, a good story.

WARNING: "Brazil" spoilers below
I try to get into it...I really do. The Tuttle and Buttle idea draws me in just a bit, but the second I'm shown the man is dead, it just falls apart. Then the whole Central Service idea just plays with my mind. I truely hoped the introduction of Robert DeNiro would brighten my day, but nope. Even Sam's hopes of finding the woman of his dreams falls to dismay later on.

Sorry...but this seems as if it caught onto a hook and made its' way to the top by mistake?

EDIT: Just to be safe.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

I recorded it off TV and never actually finished it. I enjoyed what i saw, but couldn't really engage. I'm a fan of Gilliam, and i'll happily give it a proper go, if and when i get the DVD. But yeah, i can relate to you not wanting to watch it, even if i'm not sure why...

Terry Gilliam’s 1985 film, Brazil, is an adventure in sci-fi/satire with surreal overtones, a touch of romance, and creepily accurate socio-cultural critiques. Set “somewhere in the 20th century” Braziltakes on: bureaucracy as paralyzed by its own rules and regulations and inflated by its excessive power, the multiple perspectives of terrorism, the perverse gap between the rich and the poor, and a critique of technology as necessarily progress. Despite its serious undertones of its overt message, the satire and surrealist elements make it enjoyable to watch and even funny, while the layers of meaning and meaty juxtaposition of images and symbols make it a rich movie going adventure.
The story unfolds around the central character, Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce) who is content to be just another cog in the machine at the Ministry of Information(MOI) until a paperwork mistake results in the death of an innocent man, prompting Sam’s love interest (foreseen in his surreal dreams) to embark on unraveling this wrong. Jill Layton (Kim Greist) and Sam finally meet and fall in love. By now, however, their fate has been sealed and they have already been blacklisted by the MOI for such crimes as being nosey and critical of the MOI and “wasting time and paper”.
The mood of the film is complex. The settings are overwhelmingly gray and the oppressive and ridiculous bureaucracy of the Ministry of Information is nail bitingly frustrating. However, the movie takes place at Christmas, adding a touch of color, hope and homey normalcy while at the same time accentuating this stifled, fear driven society. The protagonist’s wealthy mother and crew also add a circus-like quality to the film with their eccentric, colorful fashion sense and disturbing addictions to cosmetic surgery. Harry Tuttle (Robert De Niro) adds some much welcomed hope and comic relief as the heating engineer who bucks the system by fixing the pervasive air ducts without the proper paperwork. In a society where you can’t “make a move without the proper form”, Harry’s commitment to practical efficiency is seen as the worst kind of offense and relegated him to the role of outlaw.
The recurring mood maker is the upbeat theme song, and inspiration for the movie title, Aquarela do Brasil. This is a bouncy, optimistic tune that evokes happiness and energy. It also represents Sam’s ultimate escape from realty as he is seen humming the tune in a trancelike state as he imagines his own happy ending. Whether the tune represents misplaced optimism or a call for hope, you’ll be humming the tune and delighting in meanings overlooked in this movie long after the credits roll!

Welcome to the human race...
Well, this has to be the most random bump I've seen in a while.

I need opinions on this film folks. I personally only know two people that have seen it and one reckoned it was a bloated, over-the-top waste of time whilst the other said it was one of the best films he had ever seen! Thing is my local DVD spot is having a clearout and they've got the film for a tenner and I wanna know what it's like, if it's worth getting or not. They also have the Criterion edition for £25 and basically I also want to know if it's worth getting that instead. I've got a few Criterion's and some are great, others I could have easily made do with the regular copy so is this Criterion edition really worth it or should I just get the plain normal DVD, if either?? Any feedback appreciated, thanks
Definitely worth the purchase. One of Terry Gilliam's finest IMO. Also great if you're an Orwell fan.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
It's an amazing film. I show it to my short stories class after we read "Harrison Bergeron" and make them write an essay over the two.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

it's way over the top..

equilibrium despite being an action movie, is a better doen critique on society.

Welcome to the human race...
it's way over the top..

equilibrium despite being an action movie, is a better doen critique on society.
Because Equilibrium isn't way over the top at all.

A system of cells interlinked
it's way over the top..

This is just straight up WRONG. I know it's an opinion and all, but comparing Equilibrium to Brazil is just out to lunch. And to the guy above that inferred the film was too dismal - that is the entire point of the film! That even your dreams aren't safe when under a totalitarian regime. Putting a sign of hope into the film is the same silly trick the studio tried to pull back in the 80s, and they ruined the film with their lame cut.

The film is quirky, and has an odd atmosphere, but it's Terry Gilliam, after all.

Equilibrium was pretty average. Nothing special. Some of the fight scenes were fun in a goofy way, but that was about as far as it went.

Brazil, however....

I LOVE Brazil!! Robert DeNiro's character is awesome! He's an underground "surgeon" working on the internal organs of the massive beast (the government) that is integrated into every home and then his demise is from the paperwork (aka the bureaucracy). Plus, Gilliams wonderful juxtaposition of old 'technology' with new tech is beautiful! And who couldn't be impressed with the extremes of plastic surgery and what the society values?! Gorgeous film, fabulous script (except for the love story - but that might just have been bad because of the lack of chemistry between the actors), and the music is so on target!