John Wayne Movie question

Tools    

I was talking with a friend who said he had every John Wayne movie and I described a movie I thought had John Wayne starring, but he told me he didn't. So here is the question.

It is a movie about a ship I am supposing is some kind of frigate or destroyer that got into a sea battle with a german sub. The whole picture is like a chess game as you see the tactical planning and moves by both the US ship and the U-boat. The way the movie ends is the boat runs right up on top of the U-boat. The officer of the U-boat is on the deck and the commander of the ship who I think is John Wayne pays is respect to him with a salute. Any idea what the name of the movie might be?

Thanks ahead of time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That sounds like The Enemy Below.

Here's the salute scene you talk about in the last ten seconds here.

Thanks...I had a feeling it might have been that. But here is another thought. Have you seen the movie "Sea Chase" In this case it was not a navy ship but limped along in some kind of other boat and took on the U boat.

Is this right nor I am off base on that?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know. You could be mixing up parts of the two films. Did you see the salute at the end of the trailer I posted above?

Semper Fooey
Thanks...I had a feeling it might have been that. But here is another thought. Have you seen the movie "Sea Chase" In this case it was not a navy ship but limped along in some kind of other boat and took on the U boat.

Is this right nor I am off base on that?
What you described in your first post is Enemy Below exactly. Sea Chase (with Wayne as a German officer) does not have a sub chase and doesn't have the ending you describe. I think you probably saw both movies and your memory put them together as the same picture.

I was talking with a friend who said he had every John Wayne movie and I described a movie I thought had John Wayne starring, but he told me he didn't. So here is the question.

It is a movie about a ship I am supposing is some kind of frigate or destroyer that got into a sea battle with a german sub. The whole picture is like a chess game as you see the tactical planning and moves by both the US ship and the U-boat. The way the movie ends is the boat runs right up on top of the U-boat. The officer of the U-boat is on the deck and the commander of the ship who I think is John Wayne pays is respect to him with a salute. Any idea what the name of the movie might be?

Thanks ahead of time.
Sounds like The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum commanding the destroyer and Kurt Jurgens (sp?) commanding the submarine. One interesting item, Theodore Bikel played Jurgens' second in command who gets wounded. Some years later Bikel, who was a folk-singer before he was an actor, played the commander of the Russian submarine in The Russians Are Coming. Jurgens, who often was cast as German officers, including Nazi Werner Von Braun, the head of Hitler's rocket research, in I Aim at the Stars, was in real life a member of the German resistance against Hitler. I Aim at the Stars was based on Von Braun's self-serving book by the same name. Comedian Mort Saul once said the title of the book should have been, "I Aim at the Stars but Often Hit London."