Gran Torino

→ in
Tools    

This movie is worth viewing...
Oddly enough I would walk past it in video stores, as if I was walking past a tombstone with Clints face on it...
I just saw him as a old dried up actor far past his prime....

He prooved me totally wrong in Grand Torino...at least in this role and movie.
For some reason, the film works...here's why I think it works..

1. Instead of avoiding his old age, the film deals with it head on...
Instead of being cast in some heroric 'good cop' 'bad cop' role where
they use a stunt double for action scenes, he does all his own stunts in
this movie (not that there is any) but it's as if they want his age, and
the fact that he is getting older, to be apart of the theme...it works..

2. The movie also deals with the 'heir' aspect...kids and grandkids who
wait around drooling for their parents to pass so the can get the
goodies.(oddly enough, me and my siblings are in a similuar situation right now)
3. And it deals with 'punks' and how they can make life difficult for all of
us at different levels...and sometimes make you feel trapped and
cornered.
4. And the movie deals with 'bias' racial or ethnic bias held on by those
from the Koren, WW 2 and Vietnam era wars...for some, that would
be our parents...
5. And it brought a little redeming face to the Catholic church...

Put all that together, shake it up, and you have a pretty good movie...I enjoyed it and was glued to the screen the whole time...
And I didn't think I would....I seriously thought I would not like this film...
I love the old Clint...but in some of his recent films, he moved, and sounded like a 'corpes'...while pretending to be the Clint of old...

In this film...it's like he, or the character, comes to terms that 'yes, I'm finally old, but I'm still a warrior'....and that's an inner demon will all face, or will someday...
Grand Torino...a very enjoyable, heartfelt film....My hats off to Clint...

It was a good flick, no doubt in my mind.

I didn't really like Gran Torino. The end of the movie was so unrealistic for a movie trying to be a real approach to issues in everyday life. The idea was alright just a little far fetched for me. 2.5/5

I didn't really like Gran Torino. The end of the movie was so unrealistic for a movie trying to be a real approach to issues in everyday life. The idea was alright just a little far fetched for me. 2.5/5
yes, that part did kinda catch me off guard...

I loved Gran Torino ... Clint, as a bigoted old war horse, was extremely believable... no one can squint and growl better. He was Dirty Harry, The Man With No Name, and Bill Munny all rolled into one... and I couldn't help but love the old geezer. Walt was who he was and made no apologies for it... and in the long run, I didn't think he really changed at all...

Get off my lawn!

btw... one of the first cars I ever drove was a '71 Gran Torino GT...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Oddly enough I would walk past it in video stores, as if I was walking past a tombstone with Clints face on it...
ah don't judge a book by it's cover! He was great in Gran Torino wasn't he? I've seen it three times now.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
It's a breath of fresh air to see him so raw and nasty. Makes him less iconic and more human. What bugged me was the scene when he pulled a gun on those kids in the corner and rescued that girl. It looked a bit like a scene from Josey Wales.... I mean those kids would have been on him in a minute, beat him up and his car and gun would be gone. Nonetheless, love it- great movie and nice to see him change it up a bit.

What bugged me was the scene when he pulled a gun on those kids in the corner and rescued that girl. It looked a bit like a scene from Josey Wales.... I mean those kids would have been on him in a minute, beat him up and his car and gun would be gone.

I'm not so sure they would have... they were the type of bullies who only target someone they perceived as defenseless...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think it's his best film since Unforgiven, so there ya go.

honestly at first i thought it would be a bad cheesy movie but i definitely liked it after seeing it, i thought the ending was in no way bad, it made the movie classic...
WARNING: "the ending" spoilers below
you were left thinking wow even though his whole life he was a very aggressive guy, he departs the world peacefully

This is a poignant, beautiful movie, maybe the best film Eastwood has ever done. The characters are fully drawn, believable, and resonate true human emotion. I at first was put off by the idea of seeing a movie about an old racist, but when I saw the numbers of people attending the screenings, I thought there must be something there, so I went to the Arclight in Hollywood, where the theater was packed. Crusty old Kowalski, a Korean war veteran, now living in run down Detroit, hates the Vietnamese immigrants that have moved next door to him. As time goes on, he gets to know them, and the bond that forms is wonderful, and spiritual. There was not a dry eye in the house when the movie ended. I won't give the ending away, but suffice it to say this is a truly wonderful story, one that you will love and tell your friends to see. If you're looking for one of those great movie experiences that so rarely comes along, you'll not find a better film to see than this.

It's the story of Walt that made Korean and came back to America to live the rest of his life. That's not that easy for him because he will met a young boy who will change his life for ever.
It's not an usual American ending that we have there, it's a really good film that will make you pass by all the emotion that a human can know.
it's a pure emotional lift. You may cry , laugh , yell ,etc.. but there is the power of Clint Eastwood.
If you don't know that movie and that you love American slang and drama, with kind of dirty good joke, learning about life and all her problem, this film is for you.
I hope you enjoy my little review. I'm ain't a professional but this is there to be critic.

He prooved me totally wrong in Grand Torino...at least in this role and movie.
For some reason, the film works...here's why I think it works..
My hats off to Clint...
Loved this movie...Eastwood should have gotten an Oscar nomination, the movie is troubling but worth the journey.

This is one of those films i find it difficult to understand how anybody dislikes unless they find it offensive which is fair enough. I don't love it or anything but it is very entertaining in my opinion.