Paddington Bear

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Paddington Bear, the movie?

September 2007, WB announced it was making a live action version of much-loved children's book series, Paddington Bear with Harry Potter producer David Heyman in charge: http://movies.about.com/od/moviesinp...ngton91407.htm

Now it seems that Paul King, who directed the brilliant Bunny and the Bull is to direct: http://www.themovieinsider.com/m4383/paddington-bear/ (there is, or so I'm told, something in The Sun about this as well but I don't trust anything they print).

Now personally I'm not sure how well a live action version of Paddington will work. I loved the old animated Paddington. But perhaps it won't be too cheesy or disneyfied. After all Where the Wild Things Are was well received. Bringing Paddington to a new generation can't be a bad thing, right? And besides, Paddington's already sold out by advertising Marmite

Employee of the Month
I´m glad, that Paddington is not becoming an Animated Movie. This
puppet-stuff matches with the style of the original books. This bear
was one of the heros of my early childhood. I will may watch it, when
it`s released on DVD.

I think looking at the sets Paul King used for Bunny and the Bull, he could do a good job at making it in keeping with the style of the books/ earlier filmed versions. But maybe they are going for something completely different. A straightforward cartoon/cgi Paddington wouldn't work well for a proper feature length film, I don't think.

I wonder whether they will update/modernise it, though. I got the original book out of the library for my 3 year old a couple of weeks ago and they'd changed some bits (Cabbie: "Bears is sixpence extra. Sticky bears is ninepence." is how I remember it, no reference to pence at all now!)

I havent see it yet

Finally saw Paddington! I was a bit dubious after watching the trailer as it looked a bit slapstick, and it was a little bit, but I should have had more faith in Paul King, it was a charming film. Lots of little quirky flourishes that elevated above a straightforward bear-meets-family film. Sure, the plot was a bit light, but I actually thought that was a virtue; too many kids/family films these days seem to think the best way to interest grown-ups is to make the plot as convoluted as possible, taking it beyond kids' understanding or attention span. I loved the way they gave a nod to the original time setting whilst updating it to set it in modern times, the whole prologue with the explorer and the marmalade was brilliant. And it was funny (slightly tiresome slapstick aside), I wasn't expecting to smile so many times.

I might watch this movie at one point, I just watched the teaser trailer, and yes a bit too much slap-stick and silly gags. At least it has Hugh Bonneville and Sally Hawkins in it, that's a plus.

I haven't watched that much Paddington Bear, in my childhood. I remember we had a VHS tape, and then later they showed the cartoon on TV.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Paddington Bear, the movie?
See. I wish the movie looked like this, what the trailers show is not nearly as charming. Paddington looks sort of mangy in the film...eww.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/