Slumdog Millionaire

→ in
Tools    

I just watched the Hindi film "Slumdog Millionaire" and am not sure that it will be possible to watch a better movie the rest of the year. I know that the movie caught a lot of flack, mainly due to its title and its portrayal of the poorer classes of India, but I think that these critics have overlooked the true intentions of the writers, director, and actors.

Yes, it did portray a darker side of India; it did dwell, it seems, on the negative aspects of the plight of the people, but I think if one only dwells on these in their whole, then the true details tend to get muddled in the flow of the movie.

Jamal, in all his plight, was able to show forth three things that most people in much better circumstances have great difficulty expressing: true joy, true forgiveness, and true peace.

True joy: When Jamal jumped into the cess pool with the intent of getting to his hero for an autograph, he showed a determination like no other. But what caught my attention was when after he had the autograph, even though he was standing in one of the filthiest slums in India, and he was completely covered in human feces, all he saw was that his goal had been accomplished. Regardless of his circumstances and surroundings, Jamal proved that true joy comes from inside.

True forgiveness: Even though he told his brother that he would never forgive him for what he did to the girl, Jamal seemed to display a perpetual forgiving heart throughout the film to all those who had wronged him. His eyes were always looking ahead at what could be accomplished, not at what had been.

True peace: In line with his joy and forgiveness, Jamal displayed a peace that no one could take away. From dealing with the horrible living conditions, to facing police brutality, experiencing the downright bigotry of the television host, to enduring his brother's betrayals, we never seem to see Jamal quit or show any lack of desire.

What most people should take away from this movie isn't the depravity and poverty that are shown, but rather the positive things that someone in that situation can garner from his situation. Like the old saying goes "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

Blue Cowboy

This movie was one of the best movies that I have seen so far at the Toronto International Film Festival. This film is beautifully filmed as Danny Boyle can do. He is a film master. The acting is magnificent as well. Imagine using 3 children under the age of 7 to tell the early part of the story plot. The film uses past tense, and present tense to tell the whole story, which is also seamless. Filming took place in India as well. Their was a question and answer after the showing of this film at TIFF-Toronto International Film Festival. Please go and see this film. This film is has and exceptional cast, and should be seen in the theaters. It was magnificent.

You are right linaelectronic it was a good movie. Although few Bollywood stars didn't like it but it was good. The topic was new and everybody is performance was extra ordinary. It was really deserving for Oscar Awards.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of course, Slumdog Millionaire is not a Hindi or a Bollywood movie. It incorporates themes and motifs of those kind of flicks, but it's a "plain-as-day" British flick. I realize that some people, such as Caitlyn, never could get into it, but it's very entertaining, and Caity, if it was a film about modern Sioux or another tribe of "Indians" dealing with "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?", are you telling me that it would still leave you cold?

Well, I'll admit to overrating Slumdog Millionaire a bit when I first arrived here, but I still do think it is one of the better movies of the decade.

But I do thank Slumdog Millionaire for pushing me toward the film direction and now I think I have better expectations and I'm learning as I go.

the movie is ****. definitely a white director will make only this type of movie on india.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Slumdog Millionaire is one of a kind.. it was known worldwide after they won a lot of awards that makes people be interested on what the movie offers.. it shows how a simple low budget movie could be a big hit worldwide..

Of course, Slumdog Millionaire is not a Hindi or a Bollywood movie. It incorporates themes and motifs of those kind of flicks, but it's a "plain-as-day" British flick. I realize that some people, such as Caitlyn, never could get into it, but it's very entertaining, and Caity, if it was a film about modern Sioux or another tribe of "Indians" dealing with "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?", are you telling me that it would still leave you cold?
I rather dislike being dragged into any conversation in this manner... and I actually resent the implication that I'm indifferent to the plight of any culture other than my own... As I recall, I never said the movie left me cold... just that I couldn't get into it enough to finish it... which translated means that I just didn't find it particularly entertaining... I'm glad you and so many others apparently did... but I wouldn't have even had another ethnic group been represented...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I actually just brought this in from the garage and was preparing to watch it again before too long. I wanted to give myself some time (it's been almost a year) between viewings to try and see if I could get a little more enjoyment out of it. I shall see if I can raise my rating from mediocre to slightly above average or not. This actually is my kind of movie and I can't recall what it was that rubbed me the wrong way last time I saw it, so, perhaps this time will be different.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I rather dislike being dragged into any conversation in this manner... and I actually resent the implication that I'm indifferent to the plight of any culture other than my own... As I recall, I never said the movie left me cold... just that I couldn't get into it enough to finish it... which translated means that I just didn't find it particularly entertaining... I'm glad you and so many others apparently did... but I wouldn't have even had another ethnic group been represented...
I'm sorry Caity. I didn't mean to attack you in any way. Once again, please accept my heatfelt apology.

I'm sorry Caity. I didn't mean to attack you in any way. Once again, please accept my heatfelt apology.
Accepted and in turn, please accept mine... apparently you did not mean your post the way I took it...

Slumdog Millionaire is probably the best movie of 2009 and one of the best of the decade
a must watch for anyone that likes quality films

This moview as fantastic. I must admit that I was skeptical at first..but I was wrong. Its a great movie that envelops you .

I saw this movie back in the Christmas season last year with some reluctance. Were it not for a good friend edging me on I probably would not have bothered. I incorrectly sensed that it was just another drippy foreign film about drippy people living on the edge and getting lucky.
Boy was I wrong.
This is such a smart, cleverly woven story with a classic twist--reminding me of Dickens--and all the stuff we love about life, but what's really striking--and I just watched this twice on DVD--is the precious love that is expressed here.
Lump in throat anyone?
Goosey bumps, too?
I just lap it up. Call me a sucker--but I had to re-play the last two minutes over and over again--where our hero brushes his sweetie's scarred cheek...and you either already know or will know the rest. It just kills me every time.The quintessential message is: LOVE OVER $$, GOLD, whatever, ANY DAY!

I enjoyed it, but I always felt it was pretty overrated. Maybe the hype had some influence on my overall reaction. It had some nice elements like the photography and the montages, though.

Certainly not my favorite Danny Boyle film. I'd give it:

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I snuck into the last five minutes of it. Basically enough to see him answer the final question and go into the huge dance number, which I hated.

Doesn't look like something I could get into at all.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I incorrectly sensed that it was just another drippy foreign film about drippy people living on the edge and getting lucky.
they're so annoying those drippy foreigners

I like Slumdog Millionaire, but if I had to choose my favourite Danny Boyle film it'd be 28 Days Later. Millions is a sweet little film too, and Sunshine is great!

The dance at the end of Slumdog was brilliant. Reminded me of the unexpected dance at the end of Zatoichi - toe tappingly exuberant, and if I didn't live in an Anglo Saxon country I would've got up and danced