The Man Who Came to Dinner

Tools    

did you see the movie THE MAN THAT CAME TO DINNER?
if yes tell me what you think about the movie.
if no thats a good movie to see.
ME: it was a funny movie and the man that came to dinner stayed until Christmas and drove the family crazy.

thank you for the welcome.
i didnt know there was a play, thanks for telling me.

Do you mean the 1942 movie The Man Who Came to Dinner starring Bette Davis? If so, yes, I've seen it although it's been a while...

I was going to tell you we have an introductory forum if you'd like to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself... but it appears you've already introduced yourself HERE... mind explaining?

Also, I'm changing the title of this thread to reflect the topic at hand... labeling a thread "Movie" on a movie forum that talks about thousands of movies is actually... well... just silly....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Happy New Year from Philly!
The Man Who Came to Dinner is a hilarious classic comedy. You are a women of taste and discernment. Welcome to our forum.

thank you for the welcome.
i didnt know there was a play, thanks for telling me.
The reason the film is so great is because it was first a great play by the great playwrights, George Kaufman and Moss Hart. They collaborated on other great plays that became hit films, including the comedic You Can't Take It With You that in 1938 earned an Oscar for best picture and one for director Frank Capra. They also wrote George Washington Slept Here, made into a 1942 film starring Jack Benny. Kaufman collaborated with others on the Marx Brothers plays The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers, which they later filmed. He was one of the few writers Groucho and his brothers liked (the character played by Jimmy Durante in The Man Who Came to Dinner is based on Harpo Marx).

The Sheridan Whiteside character in Man Who Came to Dinner was based on Kaufman's and Hart's mutual friend, author/critic Alexander Woollcott, who like the character in the play really did greet people with "Hello, repulsive," and is said to have written the shortest theatrical review: "Ouch."

Monty Wooley created the title role on Broadway before starring in the movie, so he had years of rehearsal before it was filmed. He went on to play versions of the same character in other films, notably The Bishop's Wife in 1947 with Cary Grant. Wooley also played himself as the real-life friend of Cole Porter in the 1946 film, Night and Day, with Cary Grant portraying Porter. Unfortunately, the only true facts in that film is that Wooley was a friend of Porter's and Porter wrote some beautiful songs.

Anyway, as you said, it's a great film. Thanks for reminding us of it.

Bette is particularly muted in this film. She really, really wanted to make the movie, and she went out of her way to get Warners to make it. She even met with Kaufman in NY, and by that point Kaufman wanted nothing to do with Hollywood except for the colossal money. But that guy her character falls in love with is too toothy for my taste, and I think the film should be far more ascerbic than it is. It's too "Americana" for me.

Happy New Year from Philly!
. But that guy her character falls in love with is too toothy for my taste, and I think the film should be far more ascerbic than it is.
I quite agree. The love interest (male for a change) is too obvious and nicey nice.

My vocabulary seems to be on vacation this evening, but I imagine you get my jist.

This is one of the great film comedies of all time. Monty Woolley is priceless as the uppity celebrity who comes to dinner and stays and stays, causing havoc to a socially upper-crust household. The rest of the cast is superb too. Don't miss this film. It is a gem and a joy.