The Videogames Tab

Tools    

MW2 is coming in today for me as well. Can't wait!

I'm kicking straight in with multiplayer, lots new things don't have a clue about. sky_valley1 for anyone on PS£

Yeah, I'm going campaign first. I know most people just dig the MP, but I love the story mode.

If anyone's on PC, lemme know and we'll pretend to kill each other. Guessing I'm the only one, though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Regulars to this thread know my thoughts on the FPS. I'm resisting the urge to buy this one rather well although if I ever do I'll buy it on PC.

Aus - I'm with you on WoW, I suspect. In fact your post reminded me to cancel my subscription so I don't waste another 8.99. There are a lot of games that I can not play for free each month so paying to do the same seems a bit, well, pointless.

Thankfully M$/Turn10 have begun to sort out the Forza 3 online problems and as one genius remarked in a lobby the other day, "This place will be half empty once MW2 gets released". Yep, we'll get our game back.

A system of cells interlinked
I thought you liked WOW?

:Confused:

The game just keeps getting better...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Am I the only who's taken the cheap 'n' cheerful Gay GTA route then?

Only had a quick cruise through some early missions, but I'm liking the 'day-glo' sheen, and ****, I've missed chasing down drug trucks and the like

Some fun new cars out there too. Just mid-range things so far, but liking the added variety. Boosted 4x4s with ludicrous acceleration but no top end - whiney muscle cars that can take a hit. Gunplay's still by the numbers, but some fun additions there too.

Dragon Age (360)

Bioware's long awaited RPG follows the standard math of their other games, party managing fighting and decision based storytelling - although I found this one to be surprisingly flat and often confusing. The combat was meant to be played on the PC, managing your party with a controller is a chore. You also are stuck in a awfully close camera for the entirety of the game, the dungeons are each very boring and repetitive, characters start off involved and interesting - but cease to give their opinions and talk to you toward the middle of the game. As for the story itself, well I'm on the tip of the end of the game and I really don't care how it's going to end, or even to finish it at all.

had it been released months ago I probably would have appreciated it more, no reason to think twice about turning CoD off to play this - RENT IT
That's a good rating, for what sounds like a dire game.

I thought you liked WOW?

:Confused:

The game just keeps getting better...
I gave it a good old go last year but it, like all MMORPGs, eventually bored me silly. I found my DVDs cluttering up space in a drawer a few weeks back and decided to give it another chance. After a week it bored the t*ts off me so much that I'm now flatter-chested than Keira Knightley. Not bad going for a bloke, I'm sure you'll agree.

I love a good RPG (and think Dragon Age, on the PC at least, is comfortably my GOTY) but MMOs and me just don't get along. WoW is still the only one I've played beyond the free trial though, so even a Philistine like me can see its appeal.

Golg - I picked up GTA again a couple of weeks back cheap in Asda but really haven't had the time to get into it properly. Must hook up with you for some immigrant-themed criminality sometime soon.

EDIT - Would I need one or more of the add-ons to fully appreciate it online now? Dunno how that quite works with GTA but I know a lot of other games leave people behind if they've only got the vanilla versions.

Golg - I picked up GTA again a couple of weeks back cheap in Asda but really haven't had the time to get into it properly. Must hook up with you for some immigrant-themed criminality sometime soon.

EDIT - Would I need one or more of the add-ons to fully appreciate it online now? Dunno how that quite works with GTA but I know a lot of other games leave people behind if they've only got the vanilla versions.
Unfortunately I'm a lowly Silver member at the mo, so no online hijinks until payday (Or beyond if the gf has any say in the matter, but that's negotiable )

The online has been updated with each new pack, so I'm not sure how populated the older versions are. You seem to be into your driving, so you might find the GTA races pretty addictive, in a grenade-dropping, tire-popping carnage kinda way

The 'Damned' update didn't really grab me, altho the online did have a fun helicopter vs bike mode. I'm told there's not much new online in 'Gay'. Will let you know if I ever manage to get on there

Unfortunately I'm a lowly Silver member at the mo, so no online hijinks until payday (Or beyond if the gf has any say in the matter, but that's negotiable )

The online has been updated with each new pack, so I'm not sure how populated the older versions are. You seem to be into your driving, so you might find the GTA races pretty addictive, in a grenade-dropping, tire-popping carnage kinda way

The 'Damned' update didn't really grab me, altho the online did have a fun helicopter vs bike mode. I'm told there's not much new online in 'Gay'. Will let you know if I ever manage to get on there
Aye, I liked the driving bits of GTA, especially the fact that the various rust-buckets actually drove like you'd expect them to. I'd still get the unscratchable itch to fiddle with gear ratios and damper settings but, hey, I once sold a Fiesta to Andy Townsend...

Am I the only who's taken the cheap 'n' cheerful Gay GTA route then?

Only had a quick cruise through some early missions, but I'm liking the 'day-glo' sheen, and ****, I've missed chasing down drug trucks and the like

Some fun new cars out there too. Just mid-range things so far, but liking the added variety. Boosted 4x4s with ludicrous acceleration but no top end - whiney muscle cars that can take a hit. Gunplay's still by the numbers, but some fun additions there too.
Still stuck in PC-gaming-land here, so I'm waiting for the PC version (which I hear may be coming fairly soon).

Already dreading GTA V, if only because it took GTA IV a long time after its initial release to make its way to the personal computer. Tortuous, I tell you. Hopefully they'll have the two addition pack thingy available soon enough, though, to sate us computer folk.

At least you can mod the pc version right? (Oh how I long for a 10ft jump hack on the Xbox )

Doubt if this will ever be possible with current gen but there's a mod out there for the original Xbox version of GTA: San Andreas which completely reskins the game with better quality textures and loads of 'cheat' type mods.

It's intriguing me, actually as I've seen the PC versions of III and Vice City reskinned and they look great. Dunno how the little Xbox's innards will be able to cope with the extra demands though but I guess that if you don't try it you'll never find out!

Excuse me while I indulge in some shiver-me-timbers style action but rest assured that I own the original game on both Xbox and PS2 (and if you don't believe me I can provide photographic evidence ).

EDIT - Argh, it's blimmin' complicated! Basically you're patching tons of files yourself so it's not an already modded iso like I thought. I'm bored tonight but not that bored.

I thought the expansions were 360 exclusive (forever) - but I'd assume the GTA4 on PC is way better - just like how 3 , vice , andreas are all way better on PC.

If it's anything like Fallout 3 then the expansions are time-limited exclusives and will appear on PS3 and PC in the future.

I'd heard (but not tried so it might be someone with a rubbish PC) that the PC GTA4 was a pretty substandard console port, kinda like a reverse Dragon Age.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had a blast with it on the PC. Then again, I was relatively new to GTA and had a decent graphics card. Still lagged a little when a lot was happening on screen, though.