The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Tools    

As I am sure all of you know the Lord of the Rings comes out August 6.

I have to say if you havent already ordered yours, wait until the 11/12/02 box set comes out Features on the DVD arent anything you cant find/see on the net.

There is, however a booklet of coupons inside for over $300 bucks off various merchandise, most of it is LOTR related. Watches ect....
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lotr-features-dvd.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	360  

Now With Moveable Parts
I just have to be an ass about this. The title of the film you're talking about, is--
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.

The title of YOUR thread, makes me think you're speaking of the cartoon movie, Lord of the Rings.
Sorry, just a pet peeve.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah.

Hey Filmfreak,

I am not quite sure if you belong to the LOTR Official Fan Club but according to it.....the charter members are supposed to mentioned on the DVD within the credits area. I am a charter member and will be getting the DVD midnight on the 6th. I will be looking for my name. Can't wait.

Originally posted by jrs1013
Hey Filmfreak,

I am not quite sure if you belong to the LOTR Official Fan Club
Nope, not a member.
But I did buy the DVD. I will buy the one in November, and I am sure all the others to follow.. I am anxious as heck for the box set they will have after all three ar released....

I just think they couldve done something MORE for this one. Instead of releasing this one, then another, adn yet anoter version for the Gift set.

Actually i wish I could wait for the final Box set to buy ANY of them, but hell, I HAVE NO WILL POWER.

Attachments

Name:	lotr-insert-scenes-scan.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	361  

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK

Actually i wish I could wait for the final Box set to buy ANY of them, but hell, I HAVE NO WILL POWER.

The industry knows this and pits us against our will to own and own now. I'm going to buy it and love it, but I will be a little pissed when the complete set comes out--a little like I've been cheated out of ultimate goodness simply because I just had to watch it again and as soon as I could. No fair!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
The industry knows this and pits us against our will to own and own now. I'm going to buy it and love it, but I will be a little pissed when the complete set comes out--a little like I've been cheated out of ultimate goodness simply because I just had to watch it again and as soon as I could. No fair!

I agree Randy. Yes, Lord of the Rings RULES and I am buying it but what sucks is that manufacturers put out one copy of a movie w/features and then - - - not too later after that they put it out again with the same stuff (with one or two extra things for example the recent Men In Black DVD)

Fortunately, LOTR:FOTR is different. The expanded DVD later this year will have more and different features than the one coming out in a couple of weeks.

Knowing the type of DVD collector that I am, I own various versions of movies on Digital Versatile Disc. I know now LOTR will definitely be one of them.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Can anybody confirm that the 4-Discer in November will have a DTS soundtrack?

I`m holding out buying the 2-disc version for that very reason, so I hope it does.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by Yoda
Yay.

Yoda, was that a Yay for my question or somebody else`s?

Couldn`t quite tell mate

Came through the post today, a day before anyone else, the extras are crap (but the 10 min preview of TTT is great), but who cares, I 'll just the Nov Extended version......I'm so happy I could..............watch the film?...................and I was going to see MIB II tonight, ahh WHAT TO DO??????? I'm going crazy, crazy as a coconut...

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Yoda
The extras are crap because the Extended DVD comes out in November (the 12th, I think) -- this plain version is just to tide us over.
I know, but ain't it cool? You all just have no idea how content I was to just sit and watch this movie again...*rubbing hands together madly* .....and as often as I want.

21st century digital boy
The DVD was pretty good, but I hate how they're going to put out a better version later, after most of us have already shelled out for the first one! They did this to me with Dogma too!

I'm waiting for the final product, but I did rent it
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Heres an article cocerning some of the extras on the Nov release if anyone is interested... enjoy.

With DVD, there have been some firsts, and Howard Shore has scored one of them -- literally.

The composer, who won the Oscar earlier this year for his score of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, scored 30 minutes of new music for the “Special Extended” DVD Edition of the film, scheduled for Nov. 12 release from New Line Home Entertainment at $79.92 SRP.

The edition marks the first time such an extensive volume of music was recorded for a video release that had already been completed and seen theatrically.

“It was challenging, because we had to edit and add new sections, and the music was so precise and specific to the worlds within this film,” Shore said. “We brought back the London Philharmonic and a huge choir, and reunited to tackle completely new concepts.”

For the new music, Shore again took experimental approaches, such as using ancient Asian music, with one instrument featuring strings tied inside a hollowed tree base. Several additional scenes are added to the special DVD.

“The film was long, but we didn’t want to lose some of the wonderful scenes [director] Peter Jackson needed to cut,” Shore said. “But we knew even then that we would see these scenes again with the DVD.”

For the scenes, Shore used the approach he took the first time. Some of his ideas came from music he had discarded originally then reworked; others came from scratch. What he sought was music that matched the different worlds in which the characters were appearing.

“We wanted to move from different styles, but very technically and seamlessly,” Shore said. “The music must work to support the story.”

The makers of the Lord of the Rings trilogy -- with the second installment, The Two Towers, to hit theaters in the late fall -- don’t really see it as three different films.

“To us, it’s one nine-hour film,” said Shore, who is hard at work putting finishing touches to the score for The Two Towers. “The books read that way, and we wanted to follow that lead. It’s a single piece of cinema, we hope representing a wonderful, complex world where viewers can escape.”

Source: VideoStore Magazin
Attachments

Name:	lotr-dvd.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	403  

Life With Lord at Retail
Author: JESSICA WOLF
VideoStore Magazine

As The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD prices started creeping upward at some Southern California retailers visited last week, stock of the title also began to shift -- and sometimes shrink -- to make room for the week’s new releases.

A nifty new gray merchandiser that debuted with The Fellowship of the Ring at one Best Buy location looks like it’s there to stay, but only half the display was devoted to Fellowship of the Ring product. Though Best Buy had already inched the DVD price up from $15.99 to $19.99 last week, shelftalkers on the merchandiser and wherever Ring DVDs were stocked touted a special deal: Buy Fellowship of the Ring along with another sci-fi DVD priced at $9.99 or more and get a $5 gift card.

Wal-Mart was holding on to its below-$16 pricing for the title last week and at Borders, Ring remained priced at $22.99.

The Borders location was still devoting plenty of space to the Ring DVD, heavily stocked in high-traffic areas throughout the store. This particular location also still had Harry Potter promotional materials hanging on windows and off shelves in the DVD section. And the store could very well hold the record for longest-lasting merchandiser display: The huge mixed-format Potter display that appeared the week of the boy magician’s arrival is still conjuring up discs and tapes just inside the front doors.

At nearby Costco, the Ring VHS and DVD display was less than a quarter of the size of the debut week, but still on an endcap.

Costco inched the price up on the title by just 50 cents, from $19.49 the first week to $19.99 last week