Surreal Movies

Tools    

Surreal - "having the disorienting, hallucinatory quality of a dream; unreal; fantastic". Does anyone have any recommendations? Short films and foreign films would be o.k. too.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Southland Tales... Oh wait, that was just sh*tty.

Semper Fooey
Luis Bunuel movies

Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast

Carnival of Souls

Spellbound (dream sequences by Salvador Dali)

Invaders from Mars (1953)

The Seventh Seal

Oh, What a Lovely War

El Topo

Heavy Metal

2001 A Space Odessy

The Trial (1962)

Last Year At Marienbad

The Tin Drum

The Lathe of Heaven (TV)

Vampyr (1931)

Shorts:

The Red Balloon

Incident at Owl Creek

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Most people don't think of it that way, but The Conversation contains almost equal parts of "documentary" and surrealism. The original A Nightmare on Elm Street is almost pure surrealism. Movies with drugs also fall into surrealism sometimes, and my fave acid trip is in Easy Rider. The grandaddy of surrealism for me is Alice in Wonderland and Disney's version is the ultimate surrealistic flick to me, far exceeding Yellow Submarine. However, I'd definitely say that Buñuel is the master of surrealism. Even his "straightest" movies (say, Robinson Crusoe) are awash with surrealistic flourishes.

awesome, awesome, awesome! I've needed new movies to look into and you guys have given me a bunch. Thanks for the recommendations and if you think of anymore let me know.

Every David Lynch movie..yes, even the Elephant Man has surreal scenes in it, in my eyes.
The Straight Story?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Semper Fooey
Dead of Night (1946) for the climax

Maybe Kwaiden (haven't seen, not sure)

Banned from Hollywood.

How could i foget one of my all time favorite movies (see Fave Movie list )...funny i never considered it a surreal movie though...anyways...great choices..anyone who reccomends this movie in any thread deserves a million thumbs up

cheers then!

Stay with the blanket!
Bunuel's and Dali's "Andalusian dog". It's around 16 minutes long and damn, you need to watch it with a walk trough or something.

Also, "Clockwork orange". I watched it with Czech subtitles (I'm Polish) and it is even more surreal when you don't understand half of the dialogue.

(Oops, English isn't my first language. Mistakes may occur.)

It's been a long time since I last saw The Straight Story, probably back when it first came out on video. Personally, I wouldn't use the word surreal to describe it. I wouldn't call Lynch a "Master" either, but that's just me.

i wouldn't use the word surreal to describe anything. straight story is great though, and lynch's best by far. i strongly recommend a re-watch.