What Is The Last DVD You WATCHED?

Tools    

Just finished the whole series A friend lent me the lot when i started That was it, just watched one after the other

One of my favourite documentaries, though it does really annoy me and make me very angry. TBH, I didn't finish watching it today as it all just got too much for me. Not having a good day.

the hooneymooners
sliders

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
I've been watching this all week.

The Middleman: Special Agent Watson, slacking off the dress code, I see.Wendy: Oh, I don't do dress code after sundown.The Middleman: It's bad apples like you that put Mr. Hoover in a dress.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

"Gutterballs"

This was a massive improvement on the Director's weak "LIve Feed" and completely delivered.

If you hate gore drenched, nasty, sick, twisted, exploitative flicks then don't ****ing watch.
But if you fancy the idea of a well made (technically dubious dialogue recording aside), truly BALLS-OUT exploitation flick done with a fan's enthusiasm and a 70's/80's retro sensibility, topped off with wonderfully inventive kills and superb gore FX then here it is.

The acting is also not 'bad', it's amateur for sure but that does not mean bad.
It had a fun, go for it, heart in the right place amateur appeal for the most part.
Even the expletive filled script works in the context of the film and it's characters.

Exploitation fans rejoice at this little gem. Death by 69? Could be a first!
Check it out.

"The Shepherd"
As far as Van Damme's a hand to hand fighting/acrobatics go this was his best flick for a long time. His physique is looking good too...no Seagal style letting himself go to be seen here.

Some of the plotting (or should that be post filming editing it seemed to me) was off and some scenes and minor characters were left stranded, but the action, fighting and Van Damme himself were all top flight, certainly for a latter day Van Damme movie.

“Hardware”

This delightfully strange, off beat, surreal and pretty damn unique take on the killer robot plot and the post apocalypse flick (from the UK, with a smattering of American input) divides viewers into true love or hate it camps.

The screenplay is full of dark humour, surreal ideas, crumbling state control satire, unexpected subplots all woven together with a Horror fan’s sensibilities.
On a low budget Stanley and his design crew have worked wonders in creating this ruined world, and if the Cinematography has an overuse of red filters it still manages to deliver some truly post apocalyptic visuals.

The robot FX (utilising a large team of artists) are hit and miss sadly, and as a battle droid this thing is rather wobbly to say the least, as it goes from a mechanised ‘Muppet’ style puppet to a guy in a suit. But at least it has some meaty weaponry, including a very nasty drill and chainsaw and even poisonous needles.

The gore FX (again by a large team) are sparse but very well done. And Stanley adds a violent energy to the scenes of up close carnage.
The red filter on many of the sequences does obscure the blood somewhat (perhaps on purpose to avoid the censorship problems it sadly had anyway), but it sprays all over the place very nicely anyway.
An eye gouging, a chainsaw dismemberment, general slicing and dicing and the infamous cut in half torso (a great bit of FX reminiscent of the lift scene from “Damian: Omen 2”, only with far more spraying blood) deliver the meaty violence and should please any gorehound.

The excellent score is also a major plus. With a marvellous and largely experimental original score by Simon Boswell (“Demons 2”) mixed with off the wall songs from the likes of ‘Ministry’, ‘Public Image Limited’ and Iggy Pop.
The soundtrack becomes a nightmarish ferryman, carrying the often surreal imagery and messy brutality along with it. Many memorable set-pieces are powered by this eclectic mix of music just as much as they are powered by the expert and complex editing and direction.

Acting is variable but generally effective with the most memorable performance (and indeed the most surreal and generally weird aspect of the movie away from the visuals) is by William Hootkins’ as a creepy as hell stalker.
His later appearance at Jill’s door is an unforgettably weird nightmare of a sequence as the increasingly unhinged stalker. sings widely to himself and rolls his eyeliner enhanced eyes with an almost masturbatory lust.
The entire sequence is topped off by a deranged outcome that delivers on all fronts.

An enjoyable audio only cameo comes from the aforementioned Iggy Pop as doom-laden radio DJ Angry Bob, who is given some choice and amusing dialogue.

Although “Hardware” is sometimes a difficult watch that does not play by the conventional rules you may expect from a futuristic killer robot flick and that moves at its own eccentric pace it’s also a film full of memorable visuals, off the wall set-pieces, unusual characters, chaotic action, pleasant nudity, dark satire, great music and good old fashioned gore and violence.
For those looking for something different, and willing to embrace the weirdness, from their Sci-Fi you can’t go wrong with “Hardware”.

"Gutterballs"

This was a massive improvement on the Director's weak "LIve Feed" and completely delivered.

If you hate gore drenched, nasty, sick, twisted, exploitative flicks then don't ****ing watch.
But if you fancy the idea of a well made (technically dubious dialogue recording aside), truly BALLS-OUT exploitation flick done with a fan's enthusiasm and a 70's/80's retro sensibility, topped off with wonderfully inventive kills and superb gore FX then here it is.

The acting is also not 'bad', it's amateur for sure but that does not mean bad.
It had a fun, go for it, heart in the right place amateur appeal for the most part.
Even the expletive filled script works in the context of the film and it's characters.

Exploitation fans rejoice at this little gem. Death by 69? Could be a first!
Check it out.

I've seen Live Feed and it is way better than this piece of sh*t. You say Gutterballs delivered? It's well made? The acting is "not bad" ????? We're you high when you watched this?
I watched maybe the first 15 minutes and when I got to that rape scene...I stopped the DVD. The scene was disgraceful and totally uncalled for. I don't know how you could even call this movie worth watching.
What "fan's enthusiasm" are you even talkin about? If someone watches this for any form of entertaimnment, they are surely deemed to be disappointed.
If you are such a fan of Guttertrash - oh excuse me Gutterballs, then you should be happy to know that Gutterballs 2 will be coming out...it takes place in a waterpark. It is goin straight to DVD just like the other one. Noone would pay a dime to see this piece of garbage in the theater.

I've seen Live Feed and it is way better than this piece of sh*t. You say Gutterballs delivered? It's well made? The acting is "not bad" ????? We're you high when you watched this?
I watched maybe the first 15 minutes and when I got to that rape scene...I stopped the DVD. The scene was disgraceful and totally uncalled for. I don't know how you could even call this movie worth watching.
What "fan's enthusiasm" are you even talkin about? If someone watches this for any form of entertaimnment, they are surely deemed to be disappointed.
If you are such a fan of Guttertrash - oh excuse me Gutterballs, then you should be happy to know that Gutterballs 2 will be coming out...it takes place in a waterpark. It is goin straight to DVD just like the other one.
You need to step back pal and watch the remarks. Was I high?

The rape was a throwback to the "I Spit on Your Grave" type of revenge flick.
If you don't 'approve' that's up to you. Just your view though isn't it.

And quite frankly, if you turned of the film after 15 minutes how the hell can you say a damn thing about it at all!?
You can have absolutely no valid opinion on a film you turned off after 15 minutes!!

ANY view I have is more valid than anything you could ever say as you turned the film off with about 1hour 15 minutes more to go and I've actually watched it!

Are the rest of your 15,400 posts this shockingly idiotic?

Anyway....

"Shuttle" *Spoilers in small text*

The recent splurge of extreme Horror and Exploitation movies from America ("Hostel 1 & 2", "Devil's Rejects", "House 1000 Corpses", "Saw") has been a mixed bag but has also been a generally effective and very welcome shot in the arm of a genre pretty much on it's tired, in-joke filled, moronic franchise aimed, oh so bland and extremely vapid and irritating knees in the previous decade.
So far this new Millennium has been as close to the Exploitation/Horror Heaven of the years between 1968 (or so) and 1983 (or so) we could have hoped for.

Even the rather more popcorn munching, multi-plex friendly American Horror film (the re-birth of the Slasher film for example back to its no messing, here for the fun, hack 'n' dice roots, "Wrong Turn 2", "See no Evil", "Laid to Rest", "All the Boys Love Many Lane", "Boogeyman 2") has given us some surprisingly gory, devilishly sick and violent efforts that have been generally very well made and funded.

Brutal and often bold and risk taking Horror, with a sometimes arthouse sensibility, has been at its most uncompromising in some of the chilling and powerfully grotesque movies from Europe in general ("Cannibal" from Germany, "Cold Prey", "Manhunt" from Norway for example) and France in particular ("Martyrs", "Inside", "Frontiers").
Even Australia did the brutal Horror business ("Wolf Creek", "Storm Warning") as did a regenerated (though often multinationally funded) British Horror film industry ("Mum and Dad", "The Children", "Severance", "Creep", "Dog Soldiers", "The Descent", "Shaun of the Dead", "28 Days Later").

All in all, at least in film, the 21st century has been very kind to Horror fans, with only the, still going strong, need to re-make many wonderful 70's/80's films (not even all Horror) for no good or welcome reasons whatsoever being the unwelcome stain on the crisp bedsheets.

And into this still young and exciting revitalised century comes "Shuttle".
A bloody, nasty, bleak little film about 5 people being driven to their various fates (or not) by a sinister airport shuttle driver.

An unusually long running time for such a film and a very quick to get going plot ensures that the film has plenty of time to offer up many twists, events, set-pieces and locale changes to ensure that something new and surprising is always going on, even if it sometimes sacrifices energy for event.

Strong performances are essential to keep an audience interested in what is often just a horror coated road movie and thankfully there are no bad turns here, with some solid work in particular from the lead actress Peyton List and the driver himself Tony Curran (with a pretty good American accent).

The film also delivers some nicely messy violence, all done with deadly seriousness, and lots of well honed terror and threat. It's good, solid, technically sharp horror movie making that we have come to now expect.
All this dark mayhem finally ends in a conclusion
that is up there with "Wolf Creek" for being so truly horrible. The eventual grotesque fate for the last character, that will also have a long and terrifying build up for the victim, is utterly audience unfriendly and stupendously bleak and ice cold. Not a fun time can be said to have been had!
It's not nice, but it's
this uncompromising hardness and extremity that has been such a welcome breathe of fetid air to recent genre films for those craving a darker treat from some of their horror.

The problems with the film come from general troubles with the movies' basic setting and set-up and that old chestnut...some dumb choices by the characters and a **** load of unnaturally bad luck!
The film switches the power and advantage from bad guy to victim more often than any psycho film I can think of. As such, although this adds surprise and freshness to the proceedings, it does start to grate when the would be victims don;t do what you want them to do and what you hope you would do in such a situation.
Too often the victims utterly foul up their chances to our extreme frustration. It is a sadly large problem the film is stuck with, and seeing as the rest of the film is so good and well made it's a shame some more time and effort was not spent by writer/director Edward Anderson brainstorming the consequences of certain actions and how to realistically deal with them without simply having something foolish happen to get him out of the corner he foolishly wrote himself into.

And it also ignores what would be the biggest problems to any of this happening today, namely the fact that no modern city is ever this empty. Ever. And this place is damn empty believe me!
And in a world full of CCTV and speed/roadside cameras the Police would have been screeching around the corners in hot pursuit before half the running time has elapsed.

But in the end the film's strengths win out over its weaknesses and the film is (as so many Horror films are nowadays) ultimately saved by it's brutally uncompromising attitude and extremity that gives the right kind of viewer for such a film the kind of satisfaction (if not exactly fun-time enjoyment) they crave and have come to expect from this kind of Horror film today.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Having never watched this before.. I'm loving it! Only 3 Eps to go!

Boy do I love Starbuck! Good Hunting!