Television Tab

Tools    

Prison Break ended much in the way I thought it would (the last there being no real surprise), and I found it one of the most reasonable, sense-making endings I've seen in a long while.

Other than that, TV is really poor right now. Thank god Burn Notice is back, but even that has deviated from its earlier writing, and is starting to follow the well-known trajectory of doomed series - less story and more emotional character focused drama. That would be fine if the show had always been "character focused" but cmon - it was a sexy, sarcastic vigilante justice show for this decade, and the whole point was that it didnt take itself too seriously. And now its getting ..... hung up.

I recently finished off Alias Season 1 on DVD and LOST Season 1 on Blu-ray. I already know LOST is incredible (I've watched every episode since it aired and I'm now going through the series again while I'm waiting for the final season to start up), but Alias, which I've never seen before at all, is turning out to be really good. It started out just kind of so-so, but it's gotten better as it has progressed, and the finale was crazy-good.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

I've watched True Blood all the way through, and now I'm completely caught up. I'm just bored now that I have to wait until next week to see what happens. So far, it's probably the best TV show that I've ever seen. I don't really watch that many TV series, though. So far I'm not liking the second season as much as I liked the first season.

I've watched the two episodes of Hung as well. It's alright so far, but nothing really too impressive. I'll keep watching it just for Thomas Jane, though. Hopefully, it'll be one of those shows that just keeps getting better. I'm not sure if it will, though.

True Blood starts over here this Friday. I've heard lots of good things, so I'm optimistic. It's taking Dexter's slot as season 3 finished last week. I know there was some misgivings about this season (one of my friends stopped watching it altogether) but I thought it was the best season by far. Maybe it was because I've bought into it more (from episode 1 I've had a problem with the very 'existance' of Dexter) maybe it was because I found the sub-plots more interesting. Hell, maybe it was that there was nothing annoying me and that's saying something as Jimmy Smits was in practically every episode. Usually he really annoys me but, not only did he not annoy me too much, I actually quite liked a lot of his scenes with Michael C. Hall. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I was watching Moonlighting, the old detective show with Cybill Sheperd and Bruce Willis. I loved it, but Season 2 isn't available online.

I was watching Moonlighting, the old detective show with Cybill Sheperd and Bruce Willis. I loved it, but Season 2 isn't available online.
I don't know if you've seen them before or not but, if not, don't bother with season 4 & 5. Hit season 3 and then, if you want more Cybill Shepherd, move onto Cybill.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I don't know if you've seen them before or not but, if not, don't bother with season 4 & 5. Hit season 3 and then, if you want more Cybill Shepherd, move onto Cybill.
So, I've heard. Season 1 was so short tho, at seven episodes. I just couldn't believe I was going have to wait to keep watching.

The People's Republic of Clogher
At the third attempt, I made it through to the end of John From Cincinnati but, sheesh, was it a struggle.

I don't think I've ever seen so many angry people on screen at the same time and when you factor in a cast of un-likeable characters (and not many of the actors are convincing, either) and muddled writing that whole thing is deeply deeply disappointing.

If the stories about Milch passing on the option to make a couple of ends-tying Deadwood TV movies in order to have complete artistic control over JFC are true then it's doubly sad.

Offhand, I can't think of any high points from the entire 10 episode run.

I only made it through about 4 episodes of John From Cincinnati. I had the rest on Sky+, but I needed the space and I didn't really care what was going on, so I deleted it all. Shame to hear that it didn't really go anywhere.

I'm pretty sure that Ep 4 was the furthest I got on the first two occasions and gave up as I was slowly losing the will to live. Gave it another chance with Lovefilm.

I've got the first season of NYPD Blue on my rental list - Never got into it at the time.

I don't think I watched a single episode of NYPD Blue. Unsuprising though, what with David "Smug In Human Form" Caruso, starring. I know he wasn't in it for long, but then Jimmy Smits took over and I don't like him either, though he was really good in Season 3 of Dexter. There were, however, some good looking women in NYPD Blue.

Keith Meets Keith

Keith Floyd was one of my telly heroes. For those of you too young to remember him or who don't live on this part of the planet, he was a maverick TV cook (that's a television cook, not one who wore a skirt ) who basically defined that genre of programmes that we all love/are fed up to the back teeth of today.

Four times divorced, lord knows how many times bankrupted, an infamous drinker and bon viveur; Floyd was must-see telly when I was in my mid-teens. I knew nothing about cooking (and didn't want to know much more) but I liked my Rock n Roll, and Keith was one of the most rock n roll people I'd ever seen.

He'd been away from our screens for a number of years when Keith Allen tracked him down in France and basically had a piss up and a yarn with the veteran gastronaut who increasingly attempted to direct the programme, just as he did with his hapless crew a couple of decades ago.

Great stuff, but life had clearly taken its toll on the 65 year old - he looked a frail 80. All the more poignant when you consider that he died the day before the show's airing, having come back to England to see it.

I'd been put off watching Keith Meets Keith for a few days while searching my loft for some old VHS tapes that I knew contained some of his classic shows. Find them I did and sat down last night with a bottle of red and a tear in my eye.

Floyd on Britain and Ireland is the only cookbook I own.

RIP Keith.

Here's the 4OD link for those of you in the UK (or who know about proxies) who want to watch it.

We've been watching the first season of True Blood all week. Not Bad. Not bad at all. Probably going to be catching season 3 of Dexter pretty soon as well. Love that freakin' twisted show!

And Caruso (I'm on CSI Miami now and still a smug little pr*ck) was only on NYPD Blue for the first season. I think I'm sort of with you on the Smits thing too HK, I like most cop shows but just have never made the time for that one.

I now have all five seasons of The Wire and plan to get to those before long. I hope its as good as Homicide: Life on the Streets. Just a fantastic Baltimore cop show.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched three episodes of the '60s show "The Prisoner" on IFC tonight.
Smart, clever and entertaining.

I used to like The Prisoner, but I've not seen it since I was a child, so I've no idea how I'd feel about it now. It'd probably annoy me. There's something peculiarly British about being chased by a huge bouncing balloon though, isn't there?