Reading Tab

Tools    

MovieForums Extra
My favorite books growing up were Nancy Drew and any biography I could get my hands on. I was at the library constantly, and eventually worked there for years. When I found myself unemployed 12 years ago, I gravitated to the world of retail and landed in a bookstore. Its very enjoyable and rewarding to be able to recommend a book. One of my favorite things to do is talk to a young person about a book they are looking at, encourage them and get them excited about something, make it special. Sometimes I get a look like I am a total dork (which I probably am), but once in a while I get a "really?" and a glimmer of interest. Its the small stuff that makes it worth while.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
OMG! I so loved Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and even, The Hardy Boys! I remember one summer I had a broken arm, no parents or any other adults were around me mostly. I went to a local church on my bike (which I wasn't allowed to ride since my arm was broken, ha ha!) and read every single mystery book they had!

That was actually a pretty great summer for me, although I was not happy about not being able to swim or go roller skating. I was a rising 5th grader. I enjoyed making my own food, most of my meals. I was big on chilli, pringles, jello and cool whip!

Anyway, I also enjoy helping readers and people who are researching, in finding the right book or information. That's one of the things I miss about working at the library. That and the creative collaboration I enjoyed with my co-workers.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
The Freedom Writers Diary by The Freedom Writers and Erin Gruwell is simply great. If more teachers were like that, what a world we'd have! This book made me cry a lot but that's not a bad thing.

Perhaps one reason I read books mostly for entertainment is to not dwell on negative things from my childhood. This is also why I tend to avoid Chick Lit which is often about how abused someone is, a dysfunctional family, romance or some crazy mix of all these. They tend to give me nightmares.

I had it tough in some ways as a kid but the kids in this book had it far tougher. A lot of what they were dealing with resonated on an emotional level for me, so I'd cry. When they overcame, or cared for one another I'd cry too.

Its ironic to me that many of the books they used in class are books I find despressing. They found these same books inspiring. I remember when my kids had books of WW2 horors pressed on them in school. I thought, why have kids who tend to be depressed read book after book about these things?

I thought one book should suffice to get the message accrross, which to me was, horrible things happen where there is intollerance, when people don't speak up about whats wrong and let's make sure it never happens again.

Sadly, these things do happen again and again in country after country in declared and undeclared wars. Yet the human capacity for hope and survival is also a great thing.

I never imagined that kids in inner cities and tough would find these incredibly sad and horrific stories inspiring. This is yet another example of how art is so different for each of us based on our experiences and perceptions.

I highly recommend this book, particularly for anyone who is considering education as a profession, anyone who thinks they had or have it tough.Heck I recommend it for any human being period!

Finished Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman the other day.

It calls itself a "low culture manifesto," which is a pretty good description. It's basically a series of essays with little to no relation to one another, except their obsession with drawing meaningful conclusions about humanity and society from pop culture events and trends. This works for me, because I always find myself trying to extrapolate everyday things into greater truths; perhaps too often, which can also be said about some of the conclusions in this book. Still, I enjoy Klosterman's writing style, lack of (and disdain for) pretension of all spades, and I've always been a fan of thinking deeply and meaningfully about all sorts of things, even those which wouldn't seem to lend themselves to much thought.

A quick example: I particularly enjoyed his observations about "The Sims." The idea of playing a game designed to simulate the life you're already living is, after all, pretty weird. And he correctly observes that people don't often use the game to act out or be someone else; the first thing everyone does is try to make their character look just like they do! He mentions that he had to learn how to play from his niece, and that he kept pestering her with questions about his in-game character. "Where'd I go to school?" "Where did I get the money I'm using to buy my house?" Et cetera. She brushes these questions off with responses like "It doesn't matter" or "You just have it" or "You're just here." But as he points out, if he were to ask her why her Barbie doll has two pairs of shoes and four outfits, she'd have some incredibly elaborate and complicated backstory to explain the discrepancy. With her toys, she adds her own imagination to the process. With computer games, she unconciously decides that anything the game doesn't tell you is therefore unimportant or not worth considering. It's a pretty fascinating insight.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who likes discussion and informed conjecture for their own sake, or to anyone who simply enjoys pop culture, and the idea of finding depth in seemingly shallow things.

Klosterman, by the by, is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers (his review of Guns N' Roses' perpetually upcoming album Chinese Democracy is fantastic). After I started reading this my lady friend, Courtney, saw an audio version of one of his books on sale for $4, and picked it up for me. I've never listened to an audiobook before, and frankly I don't think I'll enjoy it quite as much as I would reading the book itself, but hey, you know...$4.

If you want to get a feel for Klosterman's general style, ESPN's Bill Simmons just posted a two-part podcast with the man himself on Michael Jackson, the nature of celebrity, Twitter, and other such things. I haven't listened to it yet, because I'm too pleased that it's there, and want to wait until I have some sort of comfort food in front of me and can enjoy it to its fullest.

By the by, Simmons has had Klosterman on his podcast a few times before, all well worth listening to. You can find his previous appearances here.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think I'd enjoy this book. Yoda, I can tell you where you got at least part of that trait of finding meaning in everyday things: me. Every personality test I've ever taken (some professional, others goofy) has somehow indicated that I try to find meaning for every little thing that happens to me. Unsure how much of that is my staunchly Calvinistic view of the world and how much of it is just inherent in my personality, but there it is.

Add on my fascination with pop culture, and I see myself enjoying this book. Will look for it today (Kindle, perhaps?).

I too haven't listened to an audiobook -- except for the first chapter of Little Women when I had a long daily commute and was trying to redeem the time. But it was a bad choice: one single reader for all characters and the book starts out with a gazillion young girls talking at once. I couldn't get any of them straight in my head without the visualization of the written words on the page.

I may try again: I got a free audiobook of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian and have wanted to read that anyway....

However, don't get me started on people who insist that listening to audiobooks is "reading" and therefore tell people things like, "I read Blood Meridian," when in fact they merely listened to someone else read it for them.

/rant

P.S. You don't have to call her your "lady friend" anymore. You can skip right to "fiancée."

Although I've always loved the phrase "special lady friend" .... Has a nice ring to it.

Eh, hate that word. Begone, French. I like betrothed, though that sounds weird in many everyday sentences.

Anyway, I can just lend you a copy of the book the next time I see you. It's not the kind of thing I'd even be terribly upset about not getting back, so just let me know.

Re: audiobooks. Agree completely. I don't feel I'll be able to say I "read" it. However, this is non-fiction, and is therefore all one "voice," which will help. Even better: Klosterman reads it himself. It also appears slightly abridged, which is a huge bummer, but if he's doing all the reading aloud, then one would assume he signed off on it a bit. Still, the mere fact that it's not complete means, if I like it at all, I'm still going to have to buy an actual copy. I also constantly go back and re-read things (I can't help it, but it really slows me down) to make sure I'm really absorbing them, which is a nightmare for audio.

Anyway, I strongly recommend checking out some of those podcasts I linked to. Very fun to listen to, and it's a great test for anyone who wants to know if they'd like his style. Plus, they're just flat-out interesting conversations about everything from how things are different in Germany (Klosterman was teaching a class there when the first was recorded) to why newspapers are going under.

The Giver
by Lois Lowry

I breezed through The Giver, a short novel about a dystopian future where risk (and with it, any dangerous or unwieldy emotions) has been all but eliminated. Apparently the book is required reading in some places, and banned in others. It's been suggested that the book is sympathetic to Communism, but I don't think I agree. The society it depicts is certainly comfortable in an economic sense, even though it's fairly Communistic in nature, but the book is also offering a critique of this society, usually aimed at the ways in which it keeps things (like the population) under control. If the message is that Communism can work under such circumstances, well, given what those circumstances are, I don't think this qualifies as a compliment. Anyway, it brushes over most of these issues and is more focused on emotion and the inherent connection between humanity and risk.

I'll give it
. Like some of the ideas, like most of the overall message, and there was at least one point in the book where I was incredibly intrigued, but it didn't come together the way I was hoping. Still, glad I read it. I do enjoy fiction that works as fiction, but is really about big ideas.

Also finished the aforementioned abridged audiobook version of Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas. I was ordering some things from Amazon yesterday, so I decided to pile a couple of cheap paperback Klosterman books onto the order, including this one. It's worth having in print (the audiobook version was delightful), didn't cost a lot, and since the audio version was abridged, I want to see what was left out.

Unlike Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, reviewed above, this one's more a collection of published articles, rather than new (or newly-expanded) essays. It still works quite well, and an article about McNuggets stands out as particularly hysterical (I'm probably going to go listen to it again soon). I've been reading enough Klosterman to pick up on a lot of his habits and tendencies, some of which are less amusing over time, but most of which are still quite fun. The guy's a good writer any way you slice it, even if he does fall into a sort of routine from piece to piece at times.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Rewired

Decent collection of 'post cyberpunk' short stories (if you can get past some of the horrendous pretension by the editors & dueling authors who book-end the stories).

Think what wins it is that these ageing cyber-freaks have brought more family, love & emotional loss to their coded-chrome dreams & jaded dystopias. There's a couple of misses and tame offerings in there, but some real class acts too. 'The Wedding Album' sees AI-constructs of favourite moments as the new wedding pic, and has a pretty huge scope for a short. 'The Dog Said Bow-Wow' imagines an anachronistic future where nothing is more dangerous than a modem (And has sold me even more on the skills of Michael Swanwick ). An Athena-avatared AI 'singularity' gets raided by the free men of Tennessee. Rock & roll memories get slurped from a family's genetic tree. Biology & technology intertwine frequently.

Even those shorts with clunky text have some well 'rendered' ideas on gritty human futures & potential dances with technology. Worth a shot, especially for the offerings that hit gold.

-

Welcome to the human race...

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Am about halfway through it at the moment - so far I rate it
. Absolutely brilliant book with everything I could really ask for.
Update: I finished this last night. It stayed very consistent in its storytelling and characterisation up until the very end. Gaiman is also becoming one of my favourite authors - between this, Good Omens and the Sandman series, I just have to say that his work is for, want of a better word, fantastic.

Iro, I know this is a bias of mine, but so far I haven't read any Gaiman. Oddly, my first impression of him was when he took part in a small documentary about the movie Coraline. He was talking at the camera about actually penning the original book ... and frankly, his ego seemed HUGE. He was showing the camera the original handwritten version (in one of those blank journal books) and how he had used whatever color pen he had that day ... and seemed oddly fascinated that he was showing us that one day he used a blue pen, and another day it might have been black ink... or green ... or ... LIKE WE REALLY CARE!

So, since that was my first exposure to Gaiman (aside from hearing everyone else sing his praises), I haven't been all that excited to actually pick up one of his books and read it.

If a skeptic like me were to TRY to read Gaiman now, which one would you recommend FIRST?

Welcome to the human race...
Well, my introduction to Gaiman came when I was into Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and one Christmas I was given a book that Pratchett had co-authored a non-Discworld novel with Gaiman - the aforementioned Good Omens, which is definitely a favourite I recommend to anyone. It's got elements of Gaiman's fantasy style in there, although his more serious writing is overshadowed by Pratchett's trademark humour. Still, I recommend that if you're not totally sold on Gaiman - as for a solo Gaiman effort, I'm not sure. I've checked out the blurbs of a few of his books and American Gods was the only one that really appealed to my tastes, so I guess you'll have to look into it on your own.

But yes, do consider Good Omens a priority - fine piece of apocalyptic fantasy that it is.

In regards to the man himself - I have no opinion. In this case I'll let the writing speak for itself.

Fool's Gold by Gillian Tett

Far more balanced than its terrible UK cover suggests, I've been using this as my 'primer' for understanding some of the recent crash, and the wider financial world. It starts with the inception of Credit Default Swaps back in 1994 (at the marvellously named Boca Raton hotel, or 'Rat Mouth' if you prefer ) and runs up to Jan 2009. Despite being stuffed with all the acronyms and insider terminology you'd expect, Tett has a good way with language, and brings a humanising angle having met some of the key players (especially at JP Morgan, who come out looking less-bad-than-the-others in many ways, although this might partially reflect the level of access she's been granted).

A lengthy read, and inevitably simplifying given the huge area it sets out to cover, it still manages to conjure up some insights into how mistakes were made: Ratings agencies having no teeth when 'regulating' a small pool of big fish; shell games with risk obscuring issues to those operating the shells too; the downside of innovation being that there are fewer precedents to base risk assessment on. And on.

Perhaps the easiest take-away suggestion that it provides is that risk modelling that doesn't even account for humanity's more predictable vagueries leaves a lot to be desired

Greed, as has been said, is like gravity. It's always there. This book does do a reasonable job of describing one world where it really came to bear. (Excuse pun ).

-

I just started reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

That's a great book. I hear they're adapting it into a movie too.

I just finished:

An interesting and for the most part enjoyable read. Although there were sections that did drag. Overall reading this was an enjoyable experience and I will definitely be searching out more of DeLillo's work.

(Yay! I got the rating thing to work )

I've just started:

I enjoyed The Illuminatus Trilogy! Hopefully this will be just as good.

You ready? You look ready.
I too haven't listened to an audiobook -- except for the first chapter of Little Women when I had a long daily commute and was trying to redeem the time. But it was a bad choice: one single reader for all characters and the book starts out with a gazillion young girls talking at once. I couldn't get any of them straight in my head without the visualization of the written words on the page.
For an audiobook to work it is totally dependent on the reader. If you get a crappy reader you won't get what's going on, but if you get a reader that can distinguish and make separate voices and keep it clear...then it can actually be more enjoyable than reading it yourself. The Harry Potter audiobooks would be a fine example of this. Although, I totally agree it ain't reading because you'll have a harder time remembering specific parts about a book than if you read it.

Black Creek Crossing is another audiobook that I can name that is fantastic because of the reader. You get the right voice and horror books are just...creepy as hell. I can't read that book because it scares the crap out of me. I think of the voice and how it frightened me when I listened to it. Really, really freaky.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You guys ready to let the dogs out?

Just started reading Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. Having read American Psycho and Less Than Zero and loved them, i'm interested to find out what shaped the life of the man behind these books in this semi-autobiographical novel. About 75 pages in and BEE has gone through one big whirlwind of a life, how he is still alive is pretty unbelievable. Hope it turns out as good as his other books.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I thought that was a fantastic book, hope you enjoy it.

Finished The Ghost Road by Pat Barker, third book in the Regeneration trilogy about the first world war. It was good, but I was a little disappointed, as I don't feel that the sequels quite lived up to the first book in the series, even though they seem to have won more prizes. There was a bittersweet subtlety to the first novel that was lost somewhere with all the stuff about Billy Prior's indiscriminate shagging exploits. Not that I object to sex scenes at all, far from it, and it was all quite in character, I just didn't feel that he was as interesting a character as Sassoon, who doesn't appear in this at all, sadly. Regeneration is still highly recommended, however.

Not sure, google flags up a few people saying the ending is influenced etc.

Hadn't heard of this tho - cheers for the heads up