Bride of Frankenstein or Frankenstein? Which would you rather see remade?

Tools    

Bride of Frankenstein in the works.

Rumor has it, Neil Burger to write and direct (The Illusionist)
&
Scarlett Johansson as a possible female lead.

Now, I have not seen the 1935 movie in twenty years, but I did see some clips recently. The 1935 movie really did cheese it up.

James Whale's 1931 Frankenstein is a film masterpiece. I spent four days watching this movie, about thirty times or more. (no, I'm not crazy - has to do with a project I'm working on).

I think the 1931 movie is one of the best movies ever made. Editing was rough - but we're talking 1931, and much was edited out do to time restraints. Still, it is a masterpiece and broke real ground in film making.

Colin Clive's performance alone took acting to a new level. Dwight Frye was an absolute genius.

The shots that Whale got, from the graveyard to the Monster howling at his own shadow in his cell, to Fritz (Frye) with his torch, or descending a knotted rope from atop the tower (what a nut!) - awesome film.

The Bride, however, looks like fluff and fun. I will have to watch it soon (maybe not thirty times over four days, though - I get to do that with White Zombie).

The remake should be interesting.

I won't go into Kenneth Branagh's so called Mary Shelly version; other than to say I think he went over the top just a little in his acting. Branagh has great work. This was not it. And Bobby D. (vomit) as the Monster. huh? "You talkin' to me, aaarrrrhhhharragg, huh, you talkin' to, arrragggarhhhh?!"

Come on.

Any thoughts?

I won't go into Kenneth Branagh's so called Mary Shelly version; because it sucked. Bad.
I disagree.

I think the 1931 movie is one of the best movies ever made.
Colin Clive's performance alone took acting to a new level. Dwight Frye was an absolute genius.

The shots that Whale got, from the graveyard to the Monster howling at his own shadow in his cell, to Fritz (Frye) with his torch, or descending a knotted rope from atop the tower (what a nut!) - awesome film.
I agree

Scarlett Johansson as a possible female lead.
That might just kill it. I like Scarlett, just not in that way

The Bride, however, looks like fluff and fun.
You have visuals? Some other info, perhaps?

There's two version of The Bride Of Frankenstein in the works. This one, for which Scarlett Johannson and Anne Hathaway are the 'imspiration' for the Bride and Guillermo del Toro wants to make with Doug Jones (from Pan's Labyrinth).

I watched the Bride (1935).

Great FX. The story was pure camp, but much craft skill involved.

Guillermo del Toro interests me more than the Illusionist director.

There's two version of The Bride Of Frankenstein in the works
But, doesn't Universal hold tight copyright on these? How are there two versions in the works?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think a new decent Frankenstien movie would be great.

There's two version of The Bride Of Frankenstein in the works. This one, for which Scarlett Johannson and Anne Hathaway are the 'imspiration' for the Bride and Guillermo del Toro wants to make with Doug Jones (from Pan's Labyrinth).

But, doesn't Universal hold tight copyright on these? How are there two versions in the works?
Although I don't know this for sure, I'm assuming that either Universal is/has negotiated remake rights for Del Toro's version or that he's making it for them.

Del Toro's been talking about making his version since 2007 though, this Universal version is fairly recent (this year).

This is what he said a couple of weeks ago on a radio station over here.

"Frankenstein is my lifelong dream, one of the primal books in my life, one of the primal monsters in my own mythology," he said. "I'm hoping I get to do that [movie] very, very much."

Del Toro confirmed that his Pan's Labyrinth star Doug Jones will take on the role of Victor Frankenstein's creation.

"We're doing make-up tests for the monster," he said. "In a few weeks we're going to shoot a test for the monster."

He added: "I'm not in a hurry. I want to test it, develop it perfectly. If I shoot it five years from now, six years from now, it's fine by me. You have one shot in your lifetime at these things and I don't want to do it the wrong way."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...ein-plans.html

Why neither? Out of respect for the original? A hate for remakes? Or a dislike of the material?

"Ah, son, you're too vague."

I think Del Toro's vision could equal Whale's. Pan’s Labyrinth was genius and Del Toro would be my top pick to do a Frankenstein movie – or any classic horror remake, for that matter. I think it is very good news.

A Frankenstein remake is a scary prospect (no pun intended). It is something that could be great, or easily ruined for another twenty years. You have to get the right team to make the movie. Only a couple of people are good enough.

Del Toro is slated for Frankenstein, not The Bride!
He is also slated for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!

Very good news.

Del Toro won’t need Universal unless he wants to use aspects of the Peggy Webling play or the 1931 movie, but if he wants to focus on the book by Mary Shelly, he just needs the money to make the movie.

I think Del Toro's vision could equal Whale's. I didn’t care for either Hellboy movie, story-wise, but Pan’s Labyrinth was genius and Del Toro would be my top pick to do a Frankenstein movie – or any classic horror remake, for that matter. I think it is very good news
Right on board with you there, I love Del Toro. Devil's Backbone & The Orphanage are my two favorites of his but I also love Pan's Labyrinth.

Also, Bag of Bones, I think, is a great story (King) and I can't wait to see what Del Toro is going to do with it.

Don't know what the rules are on posting websites, but I found these.
Sorry, no time for reading rules. - "...got too much to do!", Fritz.
Just delete if not allowed.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/the-sta...llermo-del.php

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/06/...-frankenstein/

http://frankensteinia.blogspot.com/2...nkenstein.html

and there is much more.

Thank you very much for the infor, honeykid. It's hard to track everything going on, and this is really one I want to follow. Didn't even know it was in the works. It's well in the works.

Sorry to change some of my earlier posts.
I was quoted, and twice I said to myself: “stuck my foot in my mouth again”. Sorry.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Don't know what the rules are on posting websites, but I found these. Sorry, no time for reading rules.
Linking to news stories is alright, linking to personal sites is not. So, you're still good.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Why neither? Out of respect for the original? A hate for remakes? Or a dislike of the material?

"Ah, son, you're too vague."
Im no fan of the originals, but i do realize its a classic film and as such it should never be touched, or redone. I don't dislike remakes, it can produce such great works as batman begins, ocean's 11, the ring, but when a film achieves "classic" status, it should be protected, (sorta how they retire the name of a hurricane that's been particularly destructive).

I do admit that the plot is not particularly interesting to me, and i belive a man of Del Toro's creativity is best used making new material for us and future generations and not redoing stuff thats already been done. (Theres not gonna be enough of his gems when he is gone).

GOM, I infer from what you've posted that you said something that wasn't too complimentary to me. Well, I didn't see it and as you've deleted the post(s) it's OK.

BTW, thanks for clearing up the Frankenstein/Bride business with Del Toro. I thought it was odd, but I'm sure that when I first read about it, it was Bride that was mentioned.

I’m a natural big mouth.

cloer, I hear what you’re sayin’. I feel that way sometimes.
And then I sometimes want to see even my favorites remade. I think I just want to remake them myself.
When someone like Del Toro gets the green light, I get excited.
But you are right, most of the time they screw it up.

POV LOOKING UP from below -- GURNEY begins to descend.

CAMERA FOLLOWS GURNEY down from the TOP OF THE TOWER to the LAB FLOOR.

SOUND: METAL SCREECHING TO A HALT AS MACHINERY POWERS DOWN.

GURNEY lands in front of Henry -- who rushes around to the head of the MONSTER, looking toward the MONSTER'S HAND.

CLOSE UP on MONSTER'S HAND -- which slowly starts to RISE --
LIFE.

WIDER ON Henry and the MONSTER'S HAND:

HENRY
Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive...

CLOSE UP on MONSTER'S HAND RISING:

HENRY (O.S.)
It's alive, it's moving,

WIDER ON Henry crouching next to the GURNEY -- looking upon the MOVING HAND in rapture:

HENRY
it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive,

Henry spins around -- A COMPLETE MADMAN:

HENRY
IT'S ALIVE!

Victor and Dr. Waldman rush to his side and take his arms as they flail about:

VICTOR
Henry, in the name of God!

HENRY
Oh, in the name of God! Now I know what it feels like to be God!

SOUND: MASSIVE THUNDER and LIGHTING STRIKES OUTSIDE THE TOWER.

HENRY
(panting in ecstacy)

FADE TO BLACK:

DR. WALDMAN
This monster of yours should be kept under guard! Mark my words, he will prove dangerous.

Dr. Waldman sits in a chair next to Henry at the desk.

CLOSER on the pair:

HENRY
Dangerous? Poor old Waldman. Have you never wanted to do anything that was dangerous? Where should we be if nobody tries to find out what lies beyond?

CLOSE UP on Henry:

HENRY
Have you never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars? Or to know what causes the trees to bud? And what changes the darkness into light? Hmm? But if you talk like that, people call you crazy. Well, if I could discover just one of these things; what eternity is, for example, I wouldn’t care if they did think I was crazy.

REVERSE on Dr. Waldman:

DR. WALDMAN
You’re young, my friend. Your success has intoxicated you. Wake up and look facts in the face. Here we have a fiend, whose brain-

REVERSE on Henry, smoking his cigarette:

HENRY
The brain must be givin’ time to develope. It’s a perfectly good brain, doctor ... well you ought to know, it came from your own laboratory.

REVERSE on Dr. Waldman:

DR. WALDMAN
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain.

REVERSE on Henry, surprised -- looks nervously over his shoulder:

HENRY
Oh, well, after all, it’s only a piece of dead tissue.

DR. WALDMAN (O.S.)
Only evil will come of it. Your health will be ruined if you persist in this madness.

Henry smiles and shrugs off the comment:

HENRY
I’m astonishingly sane, doctor.

REVERSE on Dr. Waldman:

DR. WALDMAN
You have created a monster,

WIDER on Dr. Waldman and Henry snuffing out his cigarette:

DR. WALDMAN (CONT’D)
and it will destroy you.

HENRY
Patience, patience ... I believe in this monster, as you call it. And if you don’t, well then you must leave me alone.

DR. WALDMAN
But think of Elizabeth ... your father.

HENRY
Elizabeth believes in me. My father ... never believes in anyone. I’ve got to experiment further. He’s only a few days old, remember. So far he’s been kept in complete darkness. Wait ‘til I bring him into the light.

SOUND: FOOTPRINTS OF THE MONSTER:

HENRY (CONT’D)
Here he comes. Lets turn out the light.

Henry and Dr. Waldman stand -- Henry turns out the light.

DOOR OPENS SLOWLY TO REVEAL:

THE BACK of the MONSTER -- who backs slowly into the room.

CLOSE UP on the BACK of the MONSTER -- who slowly turns, to reveal:

MONSTER, a giant monstrosity of patched together human remains, now reanimated to life.

CLOSER IN ON THE FACE.

CLOSE IN ON MONSTER’S EYES.

WIDER and Henry rushes to the MONSTER, paces nervously in front of IT -- and waves IT into the room.

HENRY
Come in ... come in.

Henry backs up and the MONSTER follows.

Dr. Waldman appears in the foreground, his back to us and his hand on a SWITCH.

Henry leads the MONSTER to a chair:

HENRY
Sit down ... sit down.

The MONSTER sits -- Henry rushes to Dr. Waldman at the switch:

HENRY
You see, it understands. Watch.

Henry walks from FRAME, to:

POV ANGLE LOOKING UP FROM BELOW -- Henry takes holds of the METAL WHEEL mounted on the wall and begins to turn it --

ABOVE: The SKYLIGHT OPENS.

The MONSTER sits in IT’S chair -- sunlight bathes the walls.

CLOSE UP on the MONSTER -- looks at the light and stands, fascinated.

WIDER on the MONSTER looking upon the sunlight.

MONSTER shuffles forward, looking up, transfixed.

MONSTER raises IT'S hands up to the sun.

Henry comes into FRAME and reaches toward the MONSTER, in concern:

DR. WALDMAN (O.S.)
Take care, Herr Frankenstein, take care.

Henry steps back, apprehensive about his creation.

CLOSER on the MONSTER, hands outstretched to the sun.

MONSTER begins to look EXCITED:

HENRY (O.S.)
Shut off the light!

THE LIGHT DIMS and the MONSTER'S face goes blank. IT lowers IT’S arms and looks down:

WIDER on Henry entering FRAME, standing below the MONSTER who is looking down on him.

The MONSTER reaches out to Henry, PLEADING for the sun:

HENRY
Sit down.

The MONSTER lower IT’S arm and IT’S face becomes blank.

HENRY
Go and sit down.

The MONSTER backs to IT’S chair as Henry backs out of FRAME -- MONSTER SITS DOWN.

CLOSE UP, UPWARD ANGLE, on MONSTER'S FACE -- LONGING.

PAN DOWN to the MONSTER'S HANDS, held with palms up -- PLEADING.

WIDER on Henry and the MONSTER:

HENRY
(to Dr. Waldman, off FRAME)
It understands, this time. It’s wonderful.

FRITZ (O.S.)
Frankenstein ... Frankenstein, where is it ...

Fritz runs into FRAME carrying a BLAZING TORCH:

FRITZ
where is it?!

CLOSE IN on -- Fritz rushes up to the MONSTER with the TORCH as Henry turns to him -- Fritz sees the MONSTER and becomes horrified -- the MONSTER is horrified by the TORCH:

FRITZ
(screams)

Fritz falls to the ground in horror as Henry rushes to him and the MONSTER stands from IT’S chair:

Henry hunkers over Fritz as the MONSTER backs up in fright, knocking over the chair -- Henry rises and moves toward the MONSTER as IT backs to the wall.

REVERSE on Henry from the front, Fritz next to him with the TORCH:

HENRY
Get away with that torch.

Fritz rushes around Henry.

WIDER, POV FROM BEHIND HENRY -- as Henry stands, Fritz pokes the TORCH at the MONSTER -- who is provoked and lurches forward.

MONSTER
(continuous whining/grunting)

The MONSTER lunges at Fritz, who steps back -- Dr. Waldman tackles the MONSTER, preventing IT from grabbing Fritz -- entangling with Dr. Waldman, he and the MONSTER crash against the wall as Henry attempts to grab onto the MONSTER -- Henry is pushed to the floor -- the MONSTER throws Dr. Waldman against a sheet COVERED ELECTRICAL DEVICE nearly knocking it over -- Henry and Dr. Waldman again rush the MONSTER as Fritz swings wildly with the TORCH -- the MONSTER swats at the TORCH.

CLOSE ON Dr. Waldman hammering the MONSTER on the back of the neck with a METAL OBLECT -- MONSTER collapses to the ground, Dr. Waldman riding IT’S back on the way down -- Henry jumps onto the MONSTER'S back -- Henry and Dr. Waldman hold the MONSTER to the ground:

HENRY
Quick!

As Fritz rushes at them with the TORCH:

HENRY
Fetch the rope! Quick!

Fritz turns and runs for the ROPE.

Dr. Waldman struggles to hold the MONSTER'S legs as Henry holds IT down on IT’S back -- Fritz appears WITHOUT TORCH -- carrying the ROPE:

HENRY
Once we get ... get it to the cellar,

Fritz begins to drape the MONSTER with the ROPE and Henry and Dr. Waldman struggle to restrain IT:

DR. WALDMAN
Shoot it! It’s a monster!

FADE TO BLACK:

SOUND: CHAINS.

LOW WHINING AND GRUNTING OF FRUSTRATION.

FADE IN:

INT. THE WATCHTOWER - EVENING

MONSTER'S CELL:

A drab stone cell, wood bench, small bared window, and:

THE MONSTER -- chained to the floor and FLAILING about in RAGE -- howls at IT’S own shadow on the wall:

MONSTER
(whining/grunting in rage and misery)

SPINS and MONSTER PULLS at the CHAINS trying to break free.

Fritz rushes through the door and toward the MONSTER:

FRITZ
Quiet! Quiet!

I love Dwight Frye.