The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Heavy Rain looks like it's gonna be the daddy as far as these kind of games are concerned.

We need more ordinary names like 'Alan' in video games, though - none of this bull like Edge flippin' Maverick! Rumours that Final Fantasy XIII will feature unlockables called Derek, Sharon and Mervyn have been strenuously denied, however...

Oh yeah, it's Square Enix. They're bound to be called 'Stool', 'Griffon' or 'Limited Slip Differential'.

In the Beginning...
Heavy Rain looks like it's gonna be the daddy as far as these kind of games are concerned.
This is crazy awesome:

If a character dies, the game does not end, and play control switches to another character, with the events of the previous character's death affecting the story. According to the developers, it is possible to complete the game even if all players have been killed.

Yeah, there's a possibility it might overreach itself, I guess, but the good thing from that point of view is that Peter Molyneux works for Microsoft (Creative Director if MS Games Europe as of last week).

I liked Quantic Dream's previous game, Fahrenheit, but certainly didn't love it. Heavy Rain looks like a whole new (and much bigger) ballgame...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Anyone with a PS3 going to get MW2? I need more people on my friends list who play online.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I have both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, both games are above and beyond what I've played before.

This one is on my must play list as well.

It's gonna be called The Last Guardian apparently, and the official video Team Ico have released is pretty similar (but smoothed over) to the leaked one I posted a couple of weeks back. With the exclusives coming in the next 12 months I'm finally getting excited about my PS3.

EDIT - PS3 users alert! Final Fantasy VII now on the Euro PSN store at £7.99. Result!

I'm a halo dude

gears of war

call of duty

Halo Wars

Offers probably the best console RTS experience there is , even if the game itself works because of it's sheer simplicity - it's pretty basic stuff : build this to counter that type gameplay , but the less than dumb combat A.I. is still worth using just for the chance to crash a warthog into a group of enemies.

Nice matchmaking system at least , even if most of the people will leave once things are looking down.

(popcorn ... it still makes sense , almost)

Saints Row 2

A game worth going out of your way to avoid ! Even if you were a fan of the original Saints Row for it's fun multiplayer , you need to not play this one ever. The single player is supposed to offer flowing arcade style fun , what it actually offers is extremely glitched tedious missions that often are ruined by the terrible base mechanics.

Forget what you knew about the online play , it's gone - I literally mean all the stuff from the first is gone except for an option to play the single player with a friend through co-op (online that is). Which through the wonder of lag and more bad mechanics ... is somehow even less fun that going it alone.

GTA IV : The Lost and Damned

After playing Saints Row 2 this game seems like the best ever made. Everything that was great about the original GTA 4 returns here , but with a few minor updates that actually provide an incredibly funner experience. While there's no new city sections to explore , some of the buildings have been filled in now as well the addition of vehicles , guns , and music. The story albeit much shorter than Nico's is all the more funner to play for it's great set piece action sequences and *GASP !!!* mission checkpoints !

So this time , when you drive all over town to get to the shootout and you die - you don't have to do the long drive all over again. It's a shame they haven't updated the original GTA 4 single player with this feature because it really does make a big difference in keeping you hooked.

As far as additions to multiplayer , it actually detracts from the experience by disallowing you to host free-roam matches with original GTA 4 players - which is pretty weird , not that the online component of GTA has ever felt fleshed out in the first place.

a lot of bang for 15 bucks

They made a deal with Rockstar to keep the content exclusive to 360 , but who knows Xbox > Microsoft - do you have GTA 4 for PC Yoda ?

I heard it has some pretty steep requirements.

I don't have a PS3, but I'm going to get one and play this:

This game is going to be epic

A system of cells interlinked
Still squeezing the last bits of life out of our PS2. We started Persona 4 on Saturday, and have already logged a good 15 hours into the game. One of the more creative RPGs I have played. Then again, it's a Shin Megami Tensei game, so that's to be expected.

I am sure we will be back on the Xbox 360 once we complete this game.

They made a deal with Rockstar to keep the content exclusive to 360 , but who knows Xbox > Microsoft - do you have GTA 4 for PC Yoda ?

I heard it has some pretty steep requirements.
Yeah, I got it for the PC (don't have a 360, though my brother does). It runs pretty well most of the time, though it seems to lag more now than it did early on (has to "remember" more now? Dunno). I recently upgraded my computer and used the opportunity to buy a bunch of games I'd never been able to play before, and this was among them. I've got something like 60 hours of gameplay out of $40. Not a bad deal.

But, yeah, real bummer to be behind the curve that way, and it's a bummer when it lags a little. Must be a processor thing, because I've got a 512MB graphics card and 3 GB of RAM.

Hopefully GTA V will see a simultaneously console/PC-release, but I'm not holding my breath.

You ready? You look ready.
EDIT - PS3 users alert! Final Fantasy VII now on the Euro PSN store at £7.99. Result!
Yea, the USA saw it hit the online store around the same time as Europe. Japan has had it on their store for months, of course. I still have my PS1 copy, so I'm good in the FF7 department (same with FF8 and FF9).

EDIT: My friend and I beat Resident Evil 5 last week and it was quite awesome...up until that last line. God, it was one of the s***est endings I've ever seen.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yea, the USA saw it hit the online store around the same time as Europe. Japan has had it on their store for months, of course. I still have my PS1 copy, so I'm good in the FF7 department (same with FF8 and FF9).
My PS3's an NTSC-J import so won't touch my original FF discs but even if it could I'd still probably have bought the online version. FMV loads much quicker and smoother from the HD than the CD. I want FFVIII to be converted now because I think it's the superior game.

ePSXe is a great PS1 emulator for PC, by the way. Once you've spent time configuring the plug ins it's pretty impressive and upscales the ancient polygons nicely.

Link

Damn right.

Fight Night 4 looks epic and, if the demo is anything to go by, the improvements on 3 make the series even more playable. Best boxing games ever made - and I remember Barry McGuigan Boxing on the Speccy!