The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I had forgotten all about Flower until yesterday - I'd done 5 out out of the 6 dreams so didn't have much to do until I finished it. I think it's kinda life affirming.

Spent a few hours on PSN yesterday and ended up buying Wipeout HD, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty and getting the inFamous demo (like TUS, I only had time for a few minutes). The original Wipeout is the only PSN PS1 game that I own - the selection on the Euro PS Store is pretty poor, where's stuff like MGS? - and was relieved that the difficulty curve of HD wasn't quite as evil. Liking it a lot so far.

Ah, reminds me of Extreme-G III for the Nintendo GameCube, which is one of the three games I got that came with the system, I think. It was certainly one of the first I played one way or another. That was a pretty fun game, though not as fleshed out as it could have been.

Aye, there are a few Wipeout-type games about. I take it back about the lack of an evil difficulty curve, as well. As soon as I got to the third tier of races I was constantly being left in the dust ... errr ... photon laser exhaust gas stuff.

Liking it not quite so much now.

EDIT - I'm tempted in getting an old Gamecube (and a Dreamcast, actually) seeing as they're horrendously cheap now and I've never played anything on them. Any tips for essential games should I take the plunge?

You want to post like me?
Every time I view this thread I get the urge to tune up the xbox. And it's broken! I'm pissed at Microsoft, yet I'm buying another one next month...

...All my games are just lying there. Looking at me.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
Getting back into NHL 09 as well, the online for it is HORRIBLE though, I don't know if EA has fixed it yet, but it is damn near impossible to get a single game going.
I never played it when it first came out, but for me the online works pretty well. For one on one matches it is easy to get a match going, and it rarely drops. The main problem is OTP (Online Team Play) which doesn't work that well. EASHL works well though in my limited experience

So, anyone else see this?: http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/next/index.html

MGS5 is being teased like mad with this site. It keeps adding things to the timer. Pretty cool if you ask me. Apparently MGS5 involves a youngish Big Boss and a futuristic Raiden with an eyepatch.

I for one, am very excited.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

A system of cells interlinked
Tacitus - Back when i had just picked up Wipeout XL in the mid-90s (which is single-handedly responsible for completely changing the lives of myself and many of my friends, btw), my friends and I would play on the first two difficulty settings pretty much exclusively, because Phantom, the third tier of difficulty was just completely ridiculous. We would try it from time to time, only to be dashed against the walls numerous times in the first lap. It looked and seemed impossible.

Fast forward two months, and I have two systems along with two televisions set up in my room with each and every head-to-head match being played exclusively on Phantom difficulty by every single player.

At some point during that period of time, we were all able to slow the game way down in our minds and accelerate our gameplay to ludicrous speeds. After a while, Phantom wasn't fast enough, and we were always trying for perfect races, with no walls hit during the entire race.

This is one of my most memorable and favorite periods in gaming, and Wipeout XL is simply one of the best racing games ever created. When it first hit the street, the game (and the music) were completely mindblowing.

I REALLY want to play that one you list above. I doubt I will get the chance to, though, as I have no access to a PS3, and will probably never get one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The EA servers were overloaded with too many people, they said they did not expect so many people. I haven't played online in a couple months, I hope they have it all fixed by now.

I bought Linger In The Shadows, which isn't a game really, just an interactive video/art thing. Basically you control certain things in the scene, such as fast forwarding/rewinding in time and using the sixaxis controller (not very well I might add). It's just a $3 'game' and unless you are REALLY into out of the box bizarre experiences I would suggest people pass. It's a 3 minute game pretty much, got a dozen trophies though.

Suspect's Reviews

Tacitus - Back when i had just picked up Wipeout XL in the mid-90s (which is single-handedly responsible for completely changing the lives of myself and many of my friends, btw), my friends and I would play on the first two difficulty settings pretty much exclusively, because Phantom, the third tier of difficulty was just completely ridiculous. We would try it from time to time, only to be dashed against the walls numerous times in the first lap. It looked and seemed impossible.

Fast forward two months, and I have two systems along with two televisions set up in my room with each and every head-to-head match being played exclusively on Phantom difficulty by every single player.

At some point during that period of time, we were all able to slow the game way down in our minds and accelerate our gameplay to ludicrous speeds. After a while, Phantom wasn't fast enough, and we were always trying for perfect races, with no walls hit during the entire race.

This is one of my most memorable and favorite periods in gaming, and Wipeout XL is simply one of the best racing games ever created. When it first hit the street, the game (and the music) were completely mindblowing.
Heh, y'know what? After I posted that I put another hour into the game and things started to make a lot more sense - I know what you mean about things slowing down because you're learning the tracks, as in any racing game. The great thing about Wipeout HD is that it supports custom soundtracks - I had The Prodigy, Leftfield, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital etc all chugging along on the surround sound. It's like Rez HD (though not quite so trippy) in that respect.

I REALLY want to play that one you list above. I doubt I will get the chance to, though, as I have no access to a PS3, and will probably never get one.
Apparently the same tracks are included on Wipeout Pure for the PSP, which is a bit cheaper than the PS3.

TUS - I got linger in Shadows a few months ago and deleted it from my HD in a couple of hours...

It's the only sort of music you can have with a game like Wipeout. Don't think any of the included tracks for HD are licensed from recognised acts but that would bump up the price tag, I suppose - £13 for something like that is a bargain.

Meanwhile, I got my new (old) PS2 delivered today and am pleased as punch with it so far. It's in mint condition (the opposite of the only other console I bought on eBay, also a PS2) but now begins the long, slow process of transferring games to hard drive.

I'm ripping them to my PC first, then transferring to PS2 via Winhiip after connecting the PS2's drive to the computer. It's a lot quicker, and easier on the PS2's laser, than doing it solely on the console.

Heh, sorry!

HDLoader - Basically, you can rip your DVDs to a hard drive connected to the PS2 (you need a network adapter for that, but I already have one) and play them from there. No changing of discs and loading times are vastly improved.

I could load each disc separately via the PS2's own disc drive but it takes forever. I'm using Imgburn to rip the discs with my PC then transferring them via the power of IDE (a bit like the power of Greyskull without the homo-eroticism) to stick them on the PS2 hard drive, removed from the PS2 temporarily and stuck in the PC. Done it before and it works but that was years ago so I hope I remember all the steps.

EDIT - Link

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
TUS - I got linger in Shadows a few months ago and deleted it from my HD in a couple of hours...
WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME??? If you delete it, all the trophies go too?

Hey, you never asked!

As far as I know, the trophies stay in your records whatever happens because they're tied to your account, not the PS3 itself. That also seems to work for stuff which you haven't picked up any trophies for (unless someone knows different, like on the 360) so I'm stuck with stuff on my record that I've played for 10 minutes before binning.

Traded in some stuff today and got inFamous - It's fun but I'm not getting a fraction of the hype it's had. I had some credit left over so bought a used copy of Dead Space. Thought it was deeply average before but I'm willing to give it another chance.

Just bought Fable II, I've managed to stay morally ambiguous so far. I like the streamlined leveling, and personal customizations.

...uh the post is up there...

I like Fable II a lot but a couple of things stop it being great, for me. It's a bit too similar to the first game and, because of that, you can wander into a town, do a few arm-pumps and cut a couple of spectacular farts and the whole population follows you around wanting to marry you.

The hive mentality of NPCs needs to be worked on for Fable III, although maybe this is what hero worship is really like?

I just got Persona 4, I like it, it's just weird, even for a JRPG...