Interesting movies to watch?

Tools    

Hi I am looking for some new or unheard of titles of movies to for that are not so main stream please no real gory ones either...

"Resident Evil 2:Apocolypse" Mila Jovavich
"Phone Booth" Colin Ferrel, Keifer Sutherland (2003)
"Pay it Forward" Haley Joel Osmond, Helen Hunt(2000)
"American Wedding" Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan(2003)
"Dogma" Ben Affleck, Matt Damon(1999)
"LOTR" 1,2 & 3 Vigo Mortenison, Elijah Wood (2002-2003)
"Thirteen" Holly Hunter, Nikkie Reed (2004)

Hi I am looking for some new or unheard of titles of movies to for that are not so main stream please no real gory ones either...
Does "no real gory ones" mean you're looking for horror films that are only slightly gory or are you interested in a wider range of movies? I could give you a long list of films you're likely not familar with, but none of them would be new--not by 20-30 years. Every one would be a great film, however.

Never mind, RedQueen--I just saw in another thread your list of the 5 films you'd watch over and over, and we're worlds apart in our movie preferences. The younger members are more likely to come up with suggestions you'd favor.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Aguirre The Wrath of God.

That's alright rufnek, I do enjoy a wide variety of movies and I don't normally watch horror movies, but really are just horror movies gory? not really, so if everyone could keep that in mind that would be much appreciated thanks again for everyone who has mentioned something already

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK, most of these are mainstream, but I'll start with them:

Excalibur
Back to the Future trilogy
Dragonslayer
Westworld
Coma
Animal House
American Graffiti
Willow
King Kong (2005)

Less well-known/mainstream:

The Silent Partner (1978)
Mischief
Dazed and Confused
Diner
My Father's Glory
Le Boucher (1970)
The Innocents

I'll come back with some more if you like any of these.

Renaissance Man (1994) - A dramatic comedy.
The Quiet (2005) - A dark drama/thriller (that's not gory).
Match Point (2005) - A very thought-provoking drama.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

The Elected Movie Eliminator
2001: A Space Odyssey
Twilight Samurai

I really don't know what exactly you're looking for, but I'll throw out five titles that I feel deserve more attention:

Wild Tigers I Have Known
The Element of Crime
Keane
All the Real Girls
Crimes of Passion

Following (Christopher Nolan) - guerilla filmmaking style about a lonely's man's
attempt to connect to society by following random strangers until he follows one that will changes his life forever..

A Way Of Life (Amma Asante) - racial drama depicted the life of a single mother in Wales who lives in a council estate and her interactions with people from other ethnic backgrounds and cultures.

I'll post more when I can think of them.

Everyone has been super helpful and I appreciate it!!!! some great titles that I will have to check out!!

the element of Crime is good, i like it

West Side Story

Gimme Shelter

French Connection

Dirty Harry (the first one)

Million Dollar Baby

Slumdog Millionaire

Milk

Sound of Music

The Bible

2001: A Space Odyssey

Shrek III

Swan Lake

Grand Canyon Suite

Lord of the Rings (all of the sequels)

Spiderman I and Spiderman II

Superman I and Superman II

Wizard of Oz

Pinocchio

Grizzly Man

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

One Day in September

Munich

Zodiac

Harry Potter and the Phoenix

Pink Floyd: the Wall

Lawrence of Arabia

Dr. Zhivago

Midnight Cowboy

Fantasia (the original)

Fantasia 2000

Southie

Monument Avenue

Good Will Hunting

Chinatown

No Country for Old Men

Gran Torino

The Dark Knight

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I find it hard to believe that you've never heard of The Wizard of Oz or The Dark Knight or even Pinocchio. Not to mention the fact that most of those movies are far from obscure.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Welcome to the human race...
^I've never heard of any of those movies. Thanks for finding the obscure
Dude, are you kidding? Most of the films in the above post (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to, given the single arrow pointing upwards) are distinguished film classics or at the very least well-known mainstream pieces. They are not anywhere close to my definition of an "obscure" film.

Anyway, back on topic. Here are ten interesting, non-mainstream (and nothing too gory, of course) films that I'd recommend (that haven't been mentioned already...)

Naked (Mike Leigh, 1993)
After Hours (Martin Scorsese, 1985)
Kikujiro (Takeshi Kitano, 1999)
Thunderheart (Michael Apted, 1992)
Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978)
The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
Altered States (Ken Russell, 1980)
Glengarry Glen Ross (James Foley, 1992)
They Live (John Carpenter, 1988)
Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, 1950)

A system of cells interlinked
I find it hard to believe this cat hasn't heard of any of these movies. I must ask:

How old are you, Chimpo? If you consider stuff like Spiderman and The Wizard of Oz obscure... Well I don't know what to say!