A Clockwork Orange (Your very, very first thoughts)

Tools    

The Elected Movie Eliminator
The first time I saw it (about four years ago), I despised it. I turned it off half way through, to me, it felt like just loads of shocking music, rape and a different, sickening language. Obviously so much has changed, as my taste in movies has changed and I looked into this. It's a very frightening yet beautiful motion picture.

What were your first thoughts on this movie? And who lived through the era' of 71' when it was hugely controversial.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd ended up reading the plot's synopsis before I even saw the movie, so the storyline was slightly ruined for me. Still a strange and compelling film to watch, though.

I loved this movie from the very first time I saw it. Not for its shock value but Kubrick's very detailed and in your face way of showing us of how messed up the world really is. It kind of makes you appreciate how boring and normal some of our lives can be.

So many good movies, so little time.
I thought it was interesting, but didn't like it too much the first time I saw it. Through the years I have grown to love it.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The first time I watched A Clockwork Orange was on a double bill with Deliverance at a very large screen theatre when I was 18. I watched it by myself. Both movies pretty much blew my mind. The music in A Clockwork Orange was really overpowering, perhaps even moreso than the potent imagery. It was really quite shocking to see it considering that Kubrick's last film was the G-rated 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Weird.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I read the book first so the movie had no surprises (except the alternate ending which I think only happened in america) but when I first read the book I read the first page and then put it down because I couldn't understand what they were saying because of the slang. I picked it up a couple months later and actually finished it and it turned out to be one of the best novels I had read.

First viewing - "Dang that's pretty awesome."

Second viewing + every viewing since - "OMFG DAT WAS AMAZIN OMGOMGOMGOGMGOM!"

I saw it for the very first time in 2007 and I LOVED IT.

It's one of my favorite movies now.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I first tried to watch it about 7 years ago and it was the only time I tried as I thought it was rubbish but im sure if I sat down now im older and gave it a go it MAYBE a different story.

The first time I saw it I watched it on an "excellent home theater system", if you catch my drift, so it was quite an experience. The book is great too and if you love the movie it's worth checking out. The copy I have has a glossary in the back which helps at first but after a while you don't need it and find yourself saying words in normal conversations that make you sound crazy. Good stuff!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Yes. That word sums up the whole movie on each and every viewing.
Frome what I remember of it, it is a very weird film. I think I will borrow it and see what I think, but I will have to sit down and watch it with out my preconception of it being rubbish.

I kept hearing about how shocking and disturbing this movie was -- and only recently actually watched it (I'm 40). Compared to the movies of the last few decades, I thought it was actually pretty tame. The message is still relevant and powerful, but to me, it didn't seem that shocking -- though I can see how at the time it would be considered so. Even the rape scene, when compared to something even like Death Wish, wasn't as disturbing as it could have been.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I never saw it in a theatre, but I did see it on this thing called a VHS.

The film left me in amazement. I loved it and still do, in my top ten.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
I think it's fantastic, and I am pretty sure I liked it quite a bit first time though. I think that was sometime in the mid-80s or so.

The first time I saw it (about four years ago), I despised it. I turned it off half way through, to me, it felt like just loads of shocking music, rape and a different, sickening language. Obviously so much has changed, as my taste in movies has changed and I looked into this. It's a very frightening yet beautiful motion picture.

What were your first thoughts on this movie? And who lived through the era' of 71' when it was hugely controversial.
My first impression is of the book, which I read before there was a movie--was a little off-putting at first because there was a whole new vocabulary I had to keep flipping back to at first to see what the hell they were saying, but once I caught on to a few phrases, it wasn't so bad. Thing I remember most about the movie is its great soundtrack--especially "Pomp and Circumstance," which was played at my (and about a million others') high school graduation. I really don't recall any controversy about the film; just some pretentious types who claimed it had more and deeper meaning than it really did. Basically, it was an accurate rendition of a book with an unusual gimmick. Did it change my life or the world? Not one whit.

At first, I found it unispired, unimpressive, dated, silly and cheesy.

Those are still pretty much my thoughts, maybe I'll have an epiphany on it at some point but right now it's one of my least favourite Kubrick movies.