Movie everyone loved but YOU hated?

Tools    

Let's keep this within the past decade: Is there a particular movie that your friends, family, colleagues and critics all praised -- but you couldn't stand it? Or just didn't get what the fuss was about?

My vote: Frailty (2001)

I'd heard and read this "horror" story was supposedly cool, suspenseful, scary, etc. Guess I saw a different Frailty. Despite my best effort to remain focused and stay awake, I nearly buckled like a puppet.

A couple of creepy moments -- but overall I found it glacially slow, preposterous and pointless. Bill Paxton tried hard to overcome the script's nonsense, but the rest of the cast was cardboard.

"She could talk her way out of a sunburn."
- Gene Hackman in Heist

Welcome to the human race...

KNOCKED UP

How this apparently became hailed as one of the funniest comedies of 2007 is totally beyond me. It features a cast of thoroughly unlikeable characters (characters are either immature slackers or uptight suburbanites, both groups that can be funny, but just can't in this case) moving through an uninspired storyline and trading moronic jokes about sex and movies. The only real reason I can see it getting any praise is simply by being made by "the guys who gave you The 40-Year-Old Virgin" (which, to be fair, is actually a decent movie). But yes, too long, too unfunny, too clichéd and overdramatic towards the end, and overall just a black hole of entertainment.

The Elected Movie Eliminator
Lot's of people I know love Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I don't, actually I haven't seen either of them nor do I intend to. I just don't like those type of 'fantasy' movies, despite their special effects and "awesome" fighting scenes.

Welcome to the human race...
That's a pretty lame reason not to watch them, dude. Considering just how commerically and critical praised both series have been, surely you can find it in yourself to give them the benefit of the doubt and at least try them. If you still don't like "fantasy" movies afterwards, so what? At least you tried and that's what counts.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Lot's of people I know love Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I don't, actually I haven't seen either of them nor do I intend to. I just don't like those type of 'fantasy' movies, despite their special effects and "awesome" fighting scenes.
Dude I cannot express enough how important it is for you to watch Star Wars

They are amazing films and there allot of crazy Star Wars fans out there that would take offence to your reason not to watch them

For me it has got to be,

Titanic and Romeo and Juliet.

I hate hate hate Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter movies so far, although the new one doesnt look half bad. I have watched them and just didnt enjoy them at all.

The Elected Movie Eliminator
Dude I cannot express enough how important it is for you to watch Star Wars

They are amazing films and there allot of crazy Star Wars fans out there that would take offence to your reason not to watch them

For me it has got to be,

Titanic and Romeo and Juliet.
Nah. I hate "Fancy Sci-Fi's" to be honest. I can't get into them.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I can see where you're coming from, kind of. I will say that episodes IV-VI are more of a favorite of mine vice Episodes I-III. The original three have a certain feel to them that the new episodes simply don't have. Plus, the original three are without Hayden.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

i just saw this movie The Heat.. its a good one thts what every one says but i dint like it at all ..its an action movie but i dont kw it did not make any sense to me...

Let's keep this within the past decade: Is there a particular movie that your friends, family, colleagues and critics all praised -- but you couldn't stand it? Or just didn't get what the fuss was about?

My vote: Frailty (2001)

I'd heard and read this "horror" story was supposedly cool, suspenseful, scary, etc. Guess I saw a different Frailty. Despite my best effort to remain focused and stay awake, I nearly buckled like a puppet.

A couple of creepy moments -- but overall I found it glacially slow, preposterous and pointless. Bill Paxton tried hard to overcome the script's nonsense, but the rest of the cast was cardboard.

Couldn't disagree more. I absolutely LOVE Frailty and fully appreciate it's careful pacing. I think it's massively underrated. Very good performances with fittingly ghostly cinematography and a very disturbing atmosphere. The way it turns the supernatural into an ordinairy part of a man's life is frightening to me, and it's a huge credit to Paxton and co that I found it believeable. It's certainly far better than Sixth Sense.

What exactly was wrong with the script??

You want to post like me?
Dude... Don't hate a movie before you've watched it. You might miss out.

I didn't "hate" it, but I was unimpressed with the original Spider-man. The origin was decent, but then we get cheated out of seeing Spidey's first time crime fighting and are shown a montage of blurred images. Then the movie just becomes extremely cliched, with a villain who's motives are unclear at best. Add in the fact that nobody really seems to distrust the wallcrawler, and that most New yorkers cheer him, which completely contradicts what the character is suppose to be, a Pariah, then I was left feeling more than a little cheated. Although, the sequel was a slight improvement, sadly it suffered from similar flaws. Not to mention that all three movies were all obsessively fixed on MJ and Peter, never mind bringing in different love interests. Plus, MJ is portrayed as a whiney, neurotic wannabe actress with Daddy issues.

...uh the post is up there...

Couldn't disagree more. I absolutely LOVE Frailty and fully appreciate it's careful pacing. I think it's massively underrated. Very good performances with fittingly ghostly cinematography and a very disturbing atmosphere. The way it turns the supernatural into an ordinairy part of a man's life is frightening to me, and it's a huge credit to Paxton and co that I found it believeable. It's certainly far better than Sixth Sense.

What exactly was wrong with the script??
Prestige, I'm not surprised you loved Frailty -- that was the exact point of my initial post: A movie everybody loved but me.

Its narrative did little for my senses. I'm fuzzy on details because I haven't seen Frailty since its first weekend in theaters, but I distinctly recall how it made me feel: From that early moment Paxton was on the ground (fixing a car) and the little green-tinted ghost or fairy appeared, I wanted to walk out. If that type of supernatural moment "frightened" you, I guess nobody's perfect.

We also part ways on its lousy cast: Nobody but Paxton kept my attention. I'd suggest it was McConaughey's worst performance, and Powers Boothe was simply pitiful -- no sign of life. As for careful pacing, I appreciated such technique in, say, No Country For Old Men, but such an approach failed in Frailty; seemed like it would never end.

Hey, dozens of folks have said the same things you wrote about the movie. It just didn't work for me.

I am burdened with glorious purpose

KNOCKED UP

How this apparently became hailed as one of the funniest comedies of 2007 is totally beyond me. It features a cast of thoroughly unlikeable characters (characters are either immature slackers or uptight suburbanites, both groups that can be funny, but just can't in this case) moving through an uninspired storyline and trading moronic jokes about sex and movies. The only real reason I can see it getting any praise is simply by being made by "the guys who gave you The 40-Year-Old Virgin" (which, to be fair, is actually a decent movie). But yes, too long, too unfunny, too clichéd and overdramatic towards the end, and overall just a black hole of entertainment.
Superbad was even worse. It didn't help I was watching it with my teenage son... not a good idea.

To be fair to these films, maybe it's my age. I'm not a prude in any sense, but the sexual jokes in these films are just not funny to me. Although, like you, I did like The 40 year old Virgin.

As to that comment about hating a movie when you haven't even seen it, maybe I should say, "no comment."

Lord of the Rings is the best film eva!

Terrible action scenes set to a completely clichéd story - not entertaining in the slightest.

Also , watch Star Wars 4-6 and LOTR : required viewing for anyone who likes movies.

... I just don't like those type of 'fantasy' movies, despite their special effects and "awesome" fighting scenes.
In my experience, 99 times out of 100, if that's the first thing that someone says about a film, I know it's not for me. For the record, Ran is the only film that didn't work with, but then Ran isn't a teen-orientated Hollywood blockbuster, which is the usual vehicle for "awesome fight scenes".