Television Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...

Arrested Development: Season One (Hurwitz, 2003)

Yeah, so I'm definitely a johnny-come-lately on this one. I've known about it, and friends have recommended it voraciously. So after finding all three seasons at Target for $12.99 each, I've finally gotten to it. And it's brilliant. The menagerie of characters, goofy and self-absorbed as they are, are also surprisingly likeable (although they were a little hard to swallow in the first couple episodes). The whole story concept is decent enough on its own, but I sense that it really serves this season as a skeleton on which the show's bizarre hilarity can ensue.

What I really like is that the show has a Seinfeld-esque serendipity to its characters and events that things always seem to circle back around in some crazy, brilliant way. At times, the quips tend to move pretty quickly, so much so that I can see how lesser viewers might miss a lot of the jokes, but the editing is so top-notch that the really great gags are pretty clear. As for characters, the only real weak link, I think, is Tobias (David Cross)... which is a real shame, but I think that's just the relative weakness of the character struggling without a way to break out. Everyone else is great, particularly Gob, who is perpetually close to stealing every episode.

Good stuff Sleezy, I just caught the pilot the other day and I kinda liked it. I'm planning on catching some more of it in the near future.

In the Beginning...
Good stuff Sleezy, I just caught the pilot the other day and I kinda liked it. I'm planning on catching some more of it in the near future.
The pilot's not bad, but from what I can tell, this is one of those shows that grows on you after the first few episodes. So I'd recommend getting through the first six, at least. I think that's where the first season starts to pick up, and hits its stride soon after.

If you liked the first Season i'd definitely urge you to watch the second soon as, i think the show comes completely into its own here and the second disc is almost comedy perfection, probably my most watched DVD. I'd like to know if you still feel the same way about Tobias after watching it all as sometimes he comes near to Gob in scene stealing. And if you do enjoy it stands to multiple repeat viewing, some jokes i only got on like the third time through.

I'm incredibly angry about 24 this week.

*grr*

Reallllly? My jaw friggin dropped through the floor. By far the best Season yet, probably. I for one can't wait to get it on DVD.

How did last twist go down with you then?

WARNING: "24" spoilers below
I know there was some disappointment Tony was only the 'bad' guy for a couple of episodes so kinda welcomed the twist though was still very surprised by it. I always saw Larry getting bumped off at some point but Tony doing it! Didn't see that, except for that cheesy mutual respect spiel.

It's hard to speculate too much with this show but i'm guessing he isn't just doing it to get out of the custody. Looking forward to seeing the grand plot revealed. Any ideas MarK?

Just finished up The Prisoner. Best show EV-ER. Got to check out Danger Man, now.

I've recently started watching Spaced!, pretty good so far, a few episodes in.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

How did last twist go down with you then?

WARNING: "24" spoilers below
I know there was some disappointment Tony was only the 'bad' guy for a couple of episodes so kinda welcomed the twist though was still very surprised by it. I always saw Larry getting bumped off at some point but Tony doing it! Didn't see that, except for that cheesy mutual respect spiel.

It's hard to speculate too much with this show but i'm guessing he isn't just doing it to get out of the custody. Looking forward to seeing the grand plot revealed. Any ideas MarK?
Ahhhh i'm such an ass!
I have to miss two weeks worth due to my best friend living away so i have to wait for him and i just read your spoiler like a ****** oh well no excuse now go get drunk and forget i read anything!
Ah i'm so angry with myself!!!!
mermermer... panties on.

In the Beginning...
I just watched the second episode of Harper's Island, and I have to say, this show better start wising up about how things happen in the real world, because it's embarrassing itself. The labyrinthine soap opera plot is ho-hum at best so far, and the murders just don't make sense. They're terribly brutal, but fleeting with little or no suspense or set-up... they just happen. And after five murders on a tiny island with a homicidal history, there would be law enforcement crawling over that island (not to mention, wedding-goers fleeing to the airport for the first Cessna out of there).

So yeah. It better pull a Scarecrow and grow a brain soon, or I'mma quit watching.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Just finished watching

Now onto the second season!

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."