TheDOMINATOR's Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

After over four months of planning, structuring, sorting, re-structuring, and rewatching both old and new favorite movies, I've finally completed my Top 100 Favorite Films list, and am very excited to finally post it. I know a few people have asked me about it (me posting my Top 100 list) in the past, and I apologize for the delay, but I wanted to make sure everything was just where I wanted it to be, and now, I think it is.

So, without further obstruction, after hours upon hours of deliberation amongst myself, here are my one-hundred favorite movies of all time. Forgive me if I'm slow at posting the list; it may take me about a week to post it in its entirety.

-------------------------------------

100. The Green Mile
(Frank Darabont, 1999)

The Green Mile is deeply moving with dark characters and themes. Its antagonists are truly sinister and chilling, and fit into the setting of death row perfectly. Of this type of film (a prison-themed drama), it's everything I look and ask for--with the addition of an element of the supernatural. Blend all that together, and a near-masterpeice is achieved, thus just making my all-time Top 100.

99. An American Tail
(Don Bluth, 1986)

An imaginative tale of immigrating mice whose fantasies of there being "no cats in America" come to an end once the beasts viciously and relentlessly attack them early in the film. The plot thickens once Fieval, the movie's main character (who is a tiny young mouse), gets lost on the ship to America, and must reunite with his family after a long and arduous journey of endless search and self-discovery. The story is heartwarming and the songs are cleverly uplifting, and all of this combined drives An American Tail up to be one of my favorite animated films of all time.

98. How the West Was Won
(John Ford, Henry Hathaway, George Marshall, 1962)

I've just fairly recently gotten into the Western genre of film, and this was the movie that started me off with it. What a start it was. I absolutely loved it: the cinematography showing all of the beautiful landscapes and scenery was astounding, and the unique way in which the film is represented was captivating. This is truly a remarkable picture, and stands out for me as the film that--quite virtually--got me into an entirely new genre.

97. The Iron Giant
(Brad Bird, 1999)

A fantastic film with one of the coolest animated characters ever: the Iron Giant. The process he goes through in the movie, learning language and how to express human emotion, I find very awe-inspiring, as it causes me to look at myself and how I've grown. The Iron Giant's ending is among the most powerful of any and all animated features. "Suuupermannn..."

96. The Karate Kid
(John G. Avildsen, 1984)

The story of a young man's struggle to rise above the ridicule of his peers and redeem himself in the eyes of his mother and new girlfriend by winning a Karate-based fighting match. This is about as classic 80's as it gets, and The Karate Kid's ending is about as uplifting as it gets. After debating whether or not I should include it in the list, one last quick thought of the ending made me say "Yes."

[Will Be Continued...]

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Nice start Dom, definitely looking forward to the rest of it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

95. The Seven Year Itch
(Billy Wilder, 1955)

The comedy is great and the story is vastly enjoyable to watch unfold, but what really steals the show here above all other elements is, in two words: Marilyn Monroe. The Seven Year Itch was the first movie of her's that I've seen (and, at this point, the only one), and now I greatly look forward to more, particularly Some Like It Hot.

94. Batman Begins
(Christopher Nolan, 2005)

I was never the biggest Batman fan, but this film and its sequel, The Dark Knight, have made huge lasting impressions on me. Everything from the acting to the score to the action is just about top-notch here, and it sets things up for the events that transpire in The Dark Knight perfectly. The plot and action is very fast-paced with very few-to-no "dead spots" or slow-moving sequences, and that's just how it should be in a superhero film.

93. Ghost
(Jerry Zucker, 1990)

One of my favorite "sad-then-happy" movies (if such a thing exists ). Few films have made me literally cry, and this is one of them. "Ditto."

92. Bad Moon
(Eric Red, 1996)

Bad Moon has one of the coolest, scariest werewolves ever; the live-action werewolf in this movie easily beats out any CGI werewolf in today's horror films. Full of suspense, great scares, and good acting, Bad Moon is near the top of my favorite werewolf movies ever list.

91. Se7en
(David Fincher, 1995)

One of the greatest, most suspenseful thrillers I've ever seen. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman make an excellent duo tracking down a ruthless serial killer with a greatly intriguing though deeply morbid system of murdering his victims. I lose my head over the ending.

[Will Be Continued...]

Batman Begins and Se7en should've been higher, but it's still great to see them make your list.

Some great movies so far, can't wait to see more.
Nice start Dom, definitely looking forward to the rest of it.
Thanks a lot, sirs. Choice and structure/set up-wise, is my list appealing thusfar? I can't help with the choices, but with the structuring I can.

Love seeing The Green Mile on here.
Batman Begins and Se7en should've been higher, but it's still great to see them make your list.
Heh, well, that's where they fall with me. Thanks for the compliments, Movieman.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
DUDE,

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to see Bad Moon cause I thought the poster was badass. I saw the advertisement for it in a movie theatre magazine and I've never seen the flick.

You just made me throw it back on my list.

This is the poster I am referring to as well.

Suspect's Reviews

90. Die Hard With a Vengeance
(John McTiernan, 1995)

My favorite of the Die Hard series and, thusly, the only one which makes my list (although the original is very, very good). Samuel L. Jackson's personality and performance coincide fantastically with the Die Hard atmosphere, and it's a thrill to watch him and Bruce Willis chase the bad guys (or rather, be chased by the bad guys ).

89. Fear
(James Foley, 1996)

A suspenseful thriller in which a psychopathic maniac creates an obsession with an attractive young girl who, luckily, has a tough-as-nails father that will protect her at all costs. Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon have fantastic chemistry here, even though their relationship in the movie is...rocky, to put it lightly.

88. The Godfather: Part III
(Francis Ford Coppola, 1990)

By far the least-good of the trilogy, but even so, The Godfather: Part III is deeply engrossing and dramatically impactful. Seeing the later years of Michael Corleone's reign over the crime family is a wonder to behold despite it not being as riveting as the stories of him ruling it during his prime.

87. National Lampoon's Vacation
(Harold Ramis, 1983)

Harold Ramis is among my favorite directors, and couple him with Chevy Chase--a pure genius of comedy--and you get something truly spectacular. I laughed-out-loud more times than I could count.

86. The Hidden
(Jack Sholder, 1987)

A thrilling sci-fi that really keeps me on the edge of my seat with turbo-charged races and intense alien action. The concept is insanely awesome--a parasitic alien creature that comes to Earth, inhabiting human's bodies...who likes to drive fast cars, fast--and its execution is brilliant. Really good stuff.

[Will Be Continued...]

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yes, but I must say that DHWAV is still pretty good.

All right, that's probably going to be it for tonight; I'll start back up tomorrow (unless I get another set of five in tonight before I go to bed). I'm extremely glad I finally started this.

DUDE,

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to see Bad Moon cause I thought the poster was badass. I saw the advertisement for it in a movie theatre magazine and I've never seen the flick.

You just made me throw it back on my list.

This is the poster I am referring to as well.

I'm glad to have re-acquainted you with Bad Moon, UsualSuspect. I hope you like it as much as I do.

And thanks again for the compliments, everyone.

National Lampoon's Vacation rocks.

The Godfather: Part III surprised me. I haven't seen it but I hear it get so much flack. Cool to see it up there.

Die Hard With a Vengeance kicks a$$! I've seen it many times, those two work well together.

Swan, if you liked the first two Godfathers, even though it isn't nearly as good, it's still worth a viewing. Personally I don't think it's bad, I'd give it a
, but it pales in comparison to the first two.

I still want to see it, Harry. The bad reputation don't phase me.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Very nice list so far mate

Looking forward to seeing the rest, Im chuffed you have got it posted as we have a very similar taste in movies as we have discussed before.

Hope to see more soon

85. The Silence of the Lambs
(Jonathan Demme, 1991)

The Hannibal Lecter character has always striked great intrigue in me throughout my horror-movie-watching career, and this is the best of that series. Gripping, relentless, scary (at times, when it needs to be), and shocking are all words fit to describe The Silence of the Lambs.

84. The Fog
(John Carpenter, 1980)

A chilling tale of the ghosts of vengeful pirates come back from the dead to haunt the ancestors of their murderers. John Carpenter is a master of this genre, and this is one of his finest works. The ghost pirates are down-right eerie as hell and can really strike a nerve. The entire element of dark, foreboding mystery that the fog represents is captivating to me.

83. Rock My World
(Sidney J. Furie, 2002)

Alicia Silverstone is one of my favorites, and this is one of her best performances. Rock My World is a dramatic comedy with likable, relatable characters, good comedy, and a heartwarming story. When I happened across this movie, I happened across a gem.

82. The Hills Have Eyes
(Alexandre Aja, 2006)

Much to my surprise, I didn't care for the original too much, but this remake is a pure thrill-ride of truly great horror--it has it all, from awesome death scenes to terrifying antagonists to genuinely frightening scares. Relentless in its brutality, The Hills Have Eyes contains one memorably visceral scene that makes cringe.

81. Reservoir Dogs
(Quentin Tarantino, 1992)

A truly unique, suspenseful thrill-ride. Fantastic performances and an engrossing, fast-moving story make Reservoir Dogs the spectacular picture it is, among a great deal many other things.

[Will Be Continued...]